Holy crap. I scratched my brand new Murano.

I honestly don't think it's worth it to go to the body shop and get this painted. I figure it would be best to fix the scratches myself.

So, now you want to compound stupidity with more idiocy???

Let a professional do it. You clearly have no idea what's involved, or how to repair it properly, or the tools needed to do it.

It that actually down to the metal or is it just the white clear coat stuff? Look down the side and see if it's dinged in. If it's not down to the metal, you can fix it, maybe not perfect but it won't look obvious.

Eh... since it's still in warranty, have the dealership fix it, even though it will cost more. That way, all the work will still be covered under the Nissan warranty.

Not 100% on that, but I don't think repainting is covered under factory warranty. Alot of dealerships don't actually have bodyshops. You would get a warranty, it just wouldn't be the "factory warranty" but most places offer that. BTW....I live in GA and could vary from place to place I'm sure.

It that actually down to the metal or is it just the white clear coat stuff? Look down the side and see if it's dinged in. If it's not down to the metal, you can fix it, maybe not perfect but it won't look obvious.

The long scratches I can see the primer, but the one on the wheel arch I can see metal. I just called the dealer who sold me the car and he told me it won't cost more than a $300 to repaint the scratched sections. I am going to repaint it.

Not 100% on that, but I don't think repainting is covered under factory warranty. Alot of dealerships don't actually have bodyshops. You would get a warranty, it just wouldn't be the "factory warranty" but most places offer that. BTW....I live in GA and could vary from place to place I'm sure.

Thing is, if he has it repaired elsewhere and then has corrosion or other problems with that panel, or stuff inside that panel doesn't work anymore, Nissan can deny any warranty claim on that panel or the electrics inside it because of "service/tampering by unauthorized repair personnel."

The long scratches I can see the primer, but the one on the wheel arch I can see metal. I just called the dealer who sold me the car and he told me it won't cost more than a $300 to repaint the scratched sections. I am going to repaint it.

Show us how that turns out.

Spectre and I have gone back and forth about the FX35 vs The Passat Estate (The Passat is still better) but i have to agree 100% with the man.
First,
DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF!
This is a new car, you are just going to be going from doing something dumb on accident to doing something on purpose. If this was just paint transfer, were you rubbed on on something that yeah maybe you can do it yourself. On my passat someone with a white car rubbed my car on a parking lot, all it took was a clay bar, paint polish and it was good as new. But again, his paint was the one that lost the battle and was on my car.

In your case, your seeing bare metal and it will rust asap. Also its dented metal, which makes it more of a work so this is not good. Go to a Nissan Authorized Dealer, and, that does not always mean the Sales dealer FYI. That way they are specialized in working with your car and paint, and any warranty issues are covered. It will not be cheap, the quote of $300 is way too low. Most good body shops will want to paint the whole panel to make sure it matches (A key thing to a good paint job) and blend it with the rest of the car. Nissan's dont have a very tricky paint like, say some of the paints on Mercs (like mine) but a good body should will be able to do it.
As for insurance, if you did not hit another car actually they might not raise your rate for the first time. Also since i think the car is your parents they wont fuss to them too much. Most insurance hate paying to other people where they lose more money. But paying out of pocket is also not bad in a case like this.
Just please, dont, paint yourself. Go play with a beater or when your at the body shop ask them if you can have some take offs that one one claimed and play with those.

I don't get it, you come asking for advice, and when you get it you decide to do the exact thing we tell you NOT to do. Once more. Unless you are a body man yourself, with the propper know how, training, and equipment, you will NOT be able to fix this and not have it look like total shit or do it so the damage won't cause problems down the road. A can of spray paint and dab of bondo isn't going to fix this. Trust me, I've seen people try this and it has never ended well.

There is no logical reason for you to be so gung ho about doing this on your own.

And once you do finish this very stupid move, you will have given the car an even greater eye sore and harmed the resale value even further. In the end it will need to be fixed by a pro anyway and will cost even more money because they will first have to fix the damage you've caused by trying to cover it up.

Take a lesson from the hundreds of sitcoms that have used this very storyline. Kid takes parents brand new car, damages car, kid tries to fix/hide the damage, "repair" causes further problems, parent finds out, kid gets ass kicked.

I still have a warranty on the car. Is it possible to bring it to the dealership and get them to repaint it for free?

Ummm, I don't think so!

Also, lieing to your insurance company would be fraud, and talking about it on an internet forum probably isn't a very smart idea..

Look man, if I was your mom/dad and learned you scratched the car, I'd be "well shit, accidents happen. Let's get this repaired and no harm done."

If I was your mom/dad and learned that you then tried to fix it yourself, without the training and know-how to do so, quite likely messing it up even more, I'd kick your ass. Hardcore.

pony up the cash, you are going to have to get that in the body shop and pay for it. simple as that.

perhaps you could order a new quater panel from the nissan dealer ship?

you are not going to be able to fix that yourself with some cans of paint man, let a professional do it.

i paid ?140 for a professional car painter to repair some major gauges on my car when i got it.... he made it look like new, totally blown away. i would not of been able to do that unless i was a professional painter.

Last edited:
Don't be such a whiner and just let it repaint. Stuff like that can happen to any driver, you hast have to calculate with it.

Why not just get a couple of these?
tape_duct.jpg

sharpie.jpg

$300 for a professional repaint, or $8.49 for good ol' American ingenuity? You be the judge!

At the very least, try to fix it yourself with some mothers scratch remover and a clay bar. This may not work (probably not in your case) and then you should take it to a dealer. If it works, you spend $20. If not, then you're out only $20 and you have the stuff to fix minor scratches.

At the very least, try to fix it yourself with some mothers scratch remover and a clay bar. This may not work (probably not in your case) and then you should take it to a dealer. If it works, you spend $20. If not, then you're out only $20 and you have the stuff to fix minor scratches.

Did you even look at the pictures? Scratch remover will NOT fix it when chunks of paint are MISSING.

And all you'll do here is make it worse and increase your repair bill.

Jacobfox, did you take a look at the photo's.
This is not a job for a some polish, which work on micro scratches on clear coat. This looks a lot worst with what he describes and the picture.

Seal the scratches with some petroleum jelly now, and get it painted by a pro as soon as possible.

Seal the scratches with some petroleum jelly now, and get it painted by a pro as soon as possible.

I did that already. I'm taking it to the dealership this weekend to fix it. Right now I'm looking online for a Nissan auto body shop...

Last edited:
pony up the cash, you are going to have to get that in the body shop and pay for it. simple as that.

perhaps you could order a new quater panel from the nissan dealer ship?

you are not going to be able to fix that yourself with some cans of paint man, let a professional do it.

i paid ?140 for a professional car painter to repair some major gauges on my car when i got it.... he made it look like new, totally blown away. i would not of been able to do that unless i was a professional painter.

The scratches aren't on the quarter panel, it's all on the edge of the door where it meets the quarter panel, but yeah it looks like I'm bringing it to a body shop and getting it repainted. I have the money, but I just can't believe I'm going to give up a few hundred dollars to repaint such a tiny section of the car.

I honestly don't think it's worth it to go to the body shop and get this painted. I figure it would be best to fix the scratches myself.

Kudos to you.
You drive like a woman but think like a man.

Kudos.

8)