BMW 335Ci faster than Audi RS4!

geoff_a_pult

Car(s)
Volvo 1800S, Volvo 240DL
The new Car and Driver Lightning Lap is out, and they found the 335Ci was 1 second faster around Virginia International Raceway (lap times for both were ~3:10).
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/13184/2007-audi-rs-4.html

I for one would never have expected it, what with the RS having a 120hp advantage.
I thought the M3/ RS4 battle would be good, but if this is true the M3 will have it absolutely whipped (speed wise, at least).
What do you think?

Last edited:
Fixed.
Very, very sorry about that, didn't actually copy the link I was going for and got caught with a paste artifact.

And that, kids, is why you always proof read your posts. (and also why you shouldn't post when your brain is addled from a 75hr work week)

Apologies again, I would not knowingly try to sucker people into opening bad things that way.

The new Car and Driver Lightning Lap is out, and they found the 335Ci was 1 second faster around Virginia International Raceway (lap times for both were ~3:10).
That's funny, because...
Autocar said:
...this alone is not sufficient to save the M3 from suffering a deeply surprising overall defeat at the hands of the RS4. Yes, it has one of the most sensational V8 engines yet to be installed beneath the bonnet of a road car, one that yet again elevates BMW's M division above and beyond the competition, and never more so than at 8400rpm in third gear. In virtually every other department, however the RS4 is as good as, if not better, than the M3, and in the end it grinds the M3 into submission simply by being faster, roomier, better looking, more communicative.....you name it, the RS4 takes it, often only by the narrowest of margins. But a clear margin nonetheless.

Source: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96655

If by "the Interceptor", you mean me, then yes that is what happened. Again, my bad.

I'd like to see the full text of that Autocar review, because I've never seen a preview of the M3 that notes it being slower than the RS4 in a straight line, and the C&D test noted that peak speeds in the straight were much higher in the RS4 than the 335, so that means that by definition the 335 had to carry speed better through the corners. (As for the RS4 being more communicative or better looking, I have no idea. It damn well better be roomier through, because the M3 sedan isn't out yet).

Edmunds ran an automatic equipped 335i from 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. Add in the $1,300 Vishnu upgrade and it drops to 4.6 seconds. I'm not surprised to hear the 335i keeping up or beating the RS4...at least on a track. The $45k 335i can more than hold its own against the $65k RS4...but maybe not at a stoplight.

Sweet! They put that article on the internet. That was the same article I was talking about in the GT500 thread.

Did that article just say the RS4 was better looking than the M3? I'd like to have some of whatever they're smoking.

And what's even funnier is...
EVO said:
No surprises then. It comes down to RS4 and M3 CS. After ten minutes behind the wheel the RS4 was my winner. It's got the looks, the interior, the edge on performance. Forty-eight hours later, the deft balance, awesome adjustability and sheer exuberance of the M3 CS seemed insurmountable. It gives you so many options, and I don't just mean you can oversteer it all day long (which you can). It has incredible balance, and it's so responsive to your inputs that you feel intimately involved through every part of every corner. For you and me, that's what really counts.

The M3 is still the all-conquering action hero. Did I mention there's a new one later this year?
The rest of it, with the Mercedes C55 AMG can be read here by the way.

You gotta be on some serious shit to think that.

i'm with ahpadt i think the RS4 is a much better looking car. Don't get me wrong the M3 is Hot the RS4 is just Hotter