Aston Martin Vanquish - So Long old chap.

Kowalski

Vanquish? Vanished!

Aston Martin Vanquish is no more.

vanquish1a.jpg

Nice engine...The rest is junk!

Today is a sad day for Aston Martin fans. You can say what you will about the Vanquish never living up to its full ubercar potential (the engine was never powerful enough, the gearbox competed with Maserati's duo-select for the right to the title of "World's Worst") and the air vents were from a Taurus. Regardless, the Vanquish is the last car ever to be built at ye olde Newport Pagnell plant, where the tools of choice are still hammers and cigarettes. Newport Pagnell is where James Bond's Goldfinger DB4 was built. Same goes for our Fantasy Garage favorite, the Aston Martin V8 Vantage Oscar India. And who could forget the Lagonda, which was also built there? As for the Vanquish itself, we've always found it astonishingly beautiful yet muscular, like a Greek statue. Or Ronnie Coleman. And we don't care what anyone says, the Vanquish is way better looking than the DB9. Plus, before you die you really need to hear AM CEO Dr Ulrich Bez pronounce "Vanquish." I mean pronounce, "Wang-kesh." Tee hee. Anyhow, we'll be pouring out a 40oz. of Earl Gray for our V12 homie.

Source: http://jalopnik.com/cars/so-long-old-chap/aston-martins-vanquish-is-no-more-280219.php

-I say good riddance!

Not all that pretty, full of Ford bits chucked together by workers with more Stella Artois than blood running into their veins, pathetic value for money as it is outclassed by its smaller and cheaper V8 Vantage and the much, much, much better all round DB9, only loved by Pierce Brosnan who got one as a free gift after he played Bond for the last time and bearer of a gearbox with a mind of its own, to not say the worst gearbox ever made.

Having said all that, I must admit that I love the sound produced by its 6.0 V12.

i think its looks absolutely gorgeous, even better than the db9 due to being less futuristic and more classic in its styling. they should just put more power in, a better gearbox and throw out all the ford parts and sell it as a new car.:rolleyes:

Too many cars that were all similar looking and such. Much better off having more of a difference between their cars.

Not all that pretty, full of Ford bits chucked together by workers with more Stella Artois than blood running into their veins, pathetic value for money as it is outclassed by its smaller and cheaper V8 Vantage and the much, much, much better all round DB9, only loved by Pierce Brosnan who got one as a free gift after he played Bond for the last time and bearer of a gearbox with a mind of its own, to not say the worst gearbox ever made.
Not pretty? You're mad! ;)

The last few versions came with a proper manual gearbox, which is obviously what I would spring for. Value for money only applies to Toyotas. So, make that me and Pierce Brosnan in the exclusive "would kill a busload of nuns for a Vanquish" club.

Still, it was inevitably due for its peaceful retirement. Hopefully the next one kicks as much ass as this did.

Stunning car, always adored it. Sad to see it go - but we knew it was coming.

Somehow the Vanquish seems like the last of "proper" Astons with soul and character, stuff went wrong with them, they were imperfect. Now with the new cars, it seems some of that is lost.

I'm going to miss it. T'raa old chap.

So, because they broke, they had soul and character? =) I'd rather have a beautiful reliable car, than a beautiful car with a bit more osul that breaks down every ten minutes =)

The last cool Aston Martin is now dead.

Somehow the Vanquish seems like the last of "proper" Astons with soul and character, stuff went wrong with them, they were imperfect. Now with the new cars, it seems some of that is lost.

I'm going to miss it. T'raa old chap.

I suppose the Peugeot 807 also fits in your definition of coolness, eh? :rolleyes:

The last cool Aston Martin is now dead.

Shed no tears for the end of an era. The Vanquish was a junkheap from day one!

sad day indeed, was a great car maybe not the best performance for its class, but my god its stunning

I suppose the Peugeot 807 also fits in your definition of coolness, eh? :rolleyes:

Shed no tears for the end of an era. The Vanquish was a junkheap from day one!

French cars are just rubbish by default and people carriers are as uncool as you can possibly get. :p Behind all of the faults, the Vanquish still had tons of appeal and those looks, and that engine, what a glorious noise it made.

As far as I see it, the ONLY real fault with the Vanquish was the gearbox. It had electrical stuff in it. British electrics are bound to go wrong, aren't they. ;)

I don't know, it just didn't looks as elegant as the DB9 on the exterior, and the interior looked a bit mish-mashed. That would be fine if it lived up to it's idea that it was the hard edged version, but since it wasn't any quicker around a track anyway I have to say it seemed the pointless car in the line up. Don't worry, things still go wrong with DB9's and Vantages.

As far as I see it, the ONLY real fault with the Vanquish was the gearbox. It had electrical stuff in it. British electrics are bound to go wrong, aren't they. ;)
Err, make that american and italian... :lol: The Vanquish' gearbox is a Tremec transaxle with a Gratziano or Magneti Marelli shift mechanism, like Ferrari uses. The gearbox was fine, but the electro-hydraulic shift mechanism dogged it. Strange thing was that in the Ferrari it worked, Ferrari kept their programming so close to themselves that not even Maserati got it for their Cambiocorsa flappy paddle gearbox....

Err, make that american and italian... :lol: The Vanquish' gearbox is a Tremec transaxle with a Gratziano or Magneti Marelli shift mechanism, like Ferrari uses. The gearbox was fine, but the electro-hydraulic shift mechanism dogged it. Strange thing was that in the Ferrari it worked, Ferrari kept their programming so close to themselves that not even Maserati got it for their Cambiocorsa flappy paddle gearbox....

Ah yes, that makes sense now. The only people with a worse reputation for electrics are the Italians. :p I'm actually surprised to hear AM is using an American transmission, though. Must be one of those decisions Ford made without AM knowing... :lol:

I'm actually surprised to hear AM is using an American transmission, though. Must be one of those decisions Ford made without AM knowing... :lol:
Not really. The old V8 Virage and Vantage (Please note; the old Vantage was only available with an automatic on special order) had the same six-speed manual Tremec gerarbox as the Corvette ZR1, as had the DB7. Difference is that the Vanquish, DB9 and the V8 Vantage has a rear mounted transaxle.

Why is there a trend of all thread starters trying to be Jeremy Clarkson.

Now here's something for you: It's not cool and makes you sound like an ass. Don't try, you'll fail.

All of a sudden, everyone speaking English is trying to be Jeremy Clarkson? He needs to patent the language, if that's the case. He'll be bloody stinkin' rich! While he's at it, he can patent the British, accent, as well.

Or maybe you're just some pedantic German looking for something to control. :p

I don't know, it just didn't looks as elegant as the DB9 on the exterior, and the interior looked a bit mish-mashed. That would be fine if it lived up to it's idea that it was the hard edged version, but since it wasn't any quicker around a track anyway I have to say it seemed the pointless car in the line up. Don't worry, things still go wrong with DB9's and Vantages.

if you name something Vanquish, you're probably not really going for elegant.