Has anyone every bought or used one of those GPS systems?

zeoniks

Car(s)
2007 Nissan Murano
I bought a TomTom Go 910 and used it for the first time today. I mean, the thing works, but I hate to admit that it is possibly the most distracting thing in a car. Right now I'm trying to figure out where the best place to put the thing because putting it in the center of the windshield isn't the best place to have it.

It's true, they constantly tell you where to go in the most loud and obnoxious forms of the English language. They can be wrong, they get in the way, they hassle you ... I swear they're worse than kids in the back seat fighting about what to have for dinner.

However, some model's come out with voice packs. So you can have Arnold Schwarzenegger or Pamela Anderson telling you where to go. :p

The quality of the after market ones vary wildly. I remember reading a 'consumer report' type of report on them about a year ago and the ones they tested were rated from the "Worthless. Do Not Buy. 1 Star" to the "Excellent. Well worth the significant cost. 5 Stars".

IMO there is no 'best place to put it'. If you attach it to your windscreen it will get in the way.

Personally I just use a road map.

However, some model's come out with voice packs. So you can have Arnold Schwarzenegger or Pamela Anderson telling you where to go. :p
I'd have Giaan Rooney. Mmmm, mmmm.:mrgreen:

The "best place" I find is at the far side of the car on the passengerside, up on the dash, It's out of the way, but you can still glance at it if nessisary.

Although I've only ever used one once... and only for about a week

Last edited:
i have it as low as possible, just to the right of the instrument panel. That way it hardly is in my way (it's actually below the edge of the bonnet from my point of view, so it's not in my line of sight) yet it is still close enough for me to give some instructions to the machine (like pick up a phonecall). Volume is mostly set to max, cos i like loud music in my car, and i like to be able to hear it over the music. I rarely look at it, only when i'm coming up to weird crossings, i generally just follow the voice instructions.

I don't have one, but when I borrowed one it worked best for me in the corner of the windshield by the a-pillar and gauge pod.

BTW you can get an officially-recorded John Cleese voice pack for TomTom!

I own one and I keep it mounted low on the windscreen, about a centimeter off the dash. I sit up high in the car so it does not interfere with my view of the road. It's also in easy reach. It can get annoying, but it has a scroll wheel on the side that manages the volume, a quick flick of the finger and the volume is off until I want it back.

Also, I set mine to "English, UK" because I like that voice better. I tried German but it always told me to turn left at Czechoslovakia and head to Poland.

I don't need a navigation system, on Long Island you can't get lost...you hit water any which way you go.