michelin stars - why are they so prestigious?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
can any food or restaurant entusiasts explain this to me, esp since michelin stars seems only awarded to european restaurants, i have not seen them mentioned in america.

so why is a food award from a tire company such a coveted thing among restauranteurs?

Well, the guide where stars are awarded was first published in 1900, as a guide for motorists to tell them where they could get fuel, food, and so on. It's developed since then, so that now you get separate guides for each country. The guide has kept going, and the 'Michelin' guide has evolved from a guide for motorists to a culinary award.

They - so far - have not been launched in America, although there is a New York guide and Chicago and LA coming.

Why are they so prestigious? Well, for one, very few restaurants get top marks. In the UK there are only 3 3-star restaurants. I think there are only around 50 in the world, France being the country with the highest number. For two, the 'Michelin' name and stars are very well known and respected. The loss of even one Michelin star can knock millions of euros off a restaurant's profit per year.

Finally, they are coveted due to the pride of top chefs. They aspire (as many chefs do) to get Michelin stars - aiming for 3 Michelin stars is the chef equivalent of your dream coming true.

thanks for the explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide?

This might be of some interest as well.

And like teeb said, they are so prestigious because they have a long history and a repututation of being correct and honest. Asking why they are so prestigious is the same as asking why Mont Blanc pens or Montecristo cigars are so prestigious. They are the kind of establishments wealthy and quality-seeking people consult, because they know they deliver what they want, and more importantly, have been doing that for a long time.

And of course if your establishment is awarded one it is presented to you by this guy!

bibendum.jpg

Wonder what Gordon Ramsey's reaction was when he turned up at Claridges.....