[Polar Challenge Special] July 25th, 2007

Subs

Subs

Do you know if there are any subtitles out for this episode yet?

Probably the best hour on TV in long, long time. I can't even imagine what those film crews must have gone through.

Though it's not exactly at the same level... for those that want to take a hand at an arctic driving event, I have several friends that have done this one:

http://www.alcan5000.com

From Kirkland, Wash. to Tuktoyatuk NWT.

I did the summer 2002 event to Yellowknife.. ended up crashing on mile 3800. Good times, good times.

R

Great fun on the surface of it all, but more so than ever a lot of it seemed very scripted, and left me feeling a little flat, really.

I just finished watching the 1080p version, and I must say I did not only love to see the boys in action again, I was also stunned by the excellent picture quality. This is easily one of the best HDTV videos I've come across, pure demo material.

In terms of content however, I must say I was not so impressed. I mean what they did was great, and a remarkable burden, but after all, I'd have lived fine without seeing that. I'm not really disappointed, but if I were asked to decide between this and a new normal episode of Top Gear, I'd have chosen the normal one.

EDIT: I laughed hard when Jeremy drove away with James sitting on the bumper dumper though. :lol:

Last edited:
Great episode! 8)

Best special top gear so far.

Perfect combination of great videos, good music and the guys.

Although I would have liked to see Richard reaching the north pole and Jeremy and James waiting for him, drinking wine while being on the toilet.

overall 10 out of 10 for this episode.

Can't wait for the new serie this automn.

As soon as I saw the polar bear with the babies I was thinking "he's SWEEET" ala Jeremy at a seal (during a test on the Isle of Man, I think) in a previous episode.

Also caught the Echo and the Bunnymen track, all three seconds of it, and that gave me a smile.

The whole "not the real North Pole" thing isn't an issue for me. It was still a hell of a journey.

The whole time I'm watching the show I keep wondering how the crews put up with the ordeal. 180 hours of tape? This has got to be put to DVD (hell, Blu-ray or HD-DVD since they've got the material) and include a ton of extra film and behind-the-scenes sort of stuff. I think I'd find that just as interesting. Hopefully released released in a region-free format, pretty please.

I would have paid to see this in a cinema. EPIC. As I wrote in another thread, Top Gear tapped the soul of man with this gem. Adventure, exploration, determination.

Screw Michael Moore, this should be Documentary of the Year.

This is probably the best episode to date... had everything except a hilarious news segment. But I must say though, that some stuff felt a bit scripted.... perhaps I'm just damaged by the overscripted stuff in earlier episodes and judge too harshly.

this was my favourite....little bit....i'm sure the jeremy lovers will agree

http://img53.imageshack.**/img53/9186/snapshot20070727193135by2.th.jpg

whoa, that para skiing was one of the greatest things i've seen in a long time!

http://img521.imageshack.**/img521/8827/paraskixw1.jpg

Got to be the craziest, most dangerous, brillant thing they ever did:beer:

The next person who whines on about the true North Pole will have to answer to this:

If thats not tough enough for anyone, try this:
http://www.npmarathon.com

I am still in awe.

Any show would have exagerated the "ZOMG it's cold, ZOMG we're lonely" ... and they didn't ... I really loved the whole thing.

Living in a cold-ish area (ie Montreal, Canada), I know first hand how rough cold weather is to vehicles ... and I just can not believe they made it. Heck a year or 2 ago I went camping on snowmobiles, and after a night at -42C, the engine was frozen solid ... and it's a snowmobile! It's just a simple 2 stroke engine, handlebars and a seat! Not some intricate diesel powered 4x4!!!!!! I want a Toyota.