Horsepower

TroyRulz007

Car(s)
Holden Commodore
Im interested in finding out how many horsepower my car hays, ive scoured the net but came up empty. here are the specs i have for my car.

Make TOYOTA
Family LEXCEN
Model Variant CSi
Car Series VP
Year 1992
Engine Size 3.8litres (3791 cc)
Fuel System MULTI POINT F/INJ
Cylinders V6
Bore and Stroke 97x86mm
Power 127KW
Torque 293Nm

Why does it matter for you, you're in AU, they use KW for power, not HP. However if you really need to know, fbc found out for you.

170bhp from a 3.8 V6...

you gotta love the japs

I'm a little confused here. He says he has a Toyota, but under his avatar he says it's a Holden. Was there some kind of rebadging going on here?

If it's a Holden he's talking about, then it's powered by Buick's old reliable 3800 series.

its a GM engine, its officially a Toyota Lexcen, but is the exact same as a Holden Commodore. i feel less ashamed saying i have a Holden.

Alright then, lets not go bashing the 3800. It's an old design that's been around for a long time, but it still gets the job done. And it's (almost) the same engine that with a turbo was dropping Corvettes left and right in the mid 80's with the Buick GNX.

its a very good engine. done 320,000Km and still purrs like a kitten. incredibly reliable.

127kw x 1.34 = 170hp

its a very good engine. done 320,000Km and still purrs like a kitten. incredibly reliable.

Keep in mind that 170hp is quoted for a new engine. After 320,000km (198,400mi), you have lost a considerable amount of HP unless there was some rebuilding/major overhauling done.

Alright then, lets not go bashing the 3800. It's an old design that's been around for a long time, but it still gets the job done. And it's (almost) the same engine that with a turbo was dropping Corvettes left and right in the mid 80's with the Buick GNX.

Don't bother. I deleted my own thread about my mom's Grand Prix because people here are not car lovers but more bashers.

Of course it is, it is GM's super reliable 3800! While it may lack in horsepower, it has, like most GM engines, a usable torque curve.

IMHO, people who only focus on horsepower and conveniently dismiss an engines torque rating and curve are grossly ignorant. :)

210. From a turbocharged 2.5. The old barge can move!

Don't bother. I deleted my own thread about my mom's Grand Prix because people here are not car lovers but more bashers.

I wish I had seen that! What year was it? what engine? I had a '79 with the V-6, and that thing was still a great car. I wish it had a V-8, though. I'd probably still have it if my brother didn't decide to play Dukes of Hazard in a parking lot, thus leading to the untimely demise of the tranny. My first car, and what a great car it was...

...of course, I'm more partial to my Volvo now, despite the Pontiac's advantage in power.

Sorry for the derail...

Those engines are tuned for torque not ricer unusable HP figures.

From what I've seen/heard from people locally they don't tend to suffer to much in power loss over time.

and FYI, the Toyota Lexcen is just a Holden Commodore for those who are wondering. The reason it was done like this was because the Australian government knew that Australia couldn't support so many different manufacturers and encouraged them to model share. The Lexcen is named after the guy who designed the boat that Australia used to win the America's cup

of course, with that kind of power output figure, it means the engine is not stressing itself to death, you'd expect the engine to run forever : )

must be quite a cruiser mobile.... is it an automatic?

Can someone explain to me - I've never really understood what bhp translates to in the real world. At its most basic, more torque can be described as more pulling power, right? Rotational force, so as long as you don't have so much torque that you lose grip it's largely an improvement in acceleration, right? (I'm not talking about off-roading and other types of driving that don't use roads/tarmac).

But what does more horsepower really relate to? From what I understand, it's a function of torque and rpm... so is it really just a benchmark? Does it have a very useful meaning?

Yeah shes an Auto. still got great pickup. once i get my P's ill run a 0-100km/h test, or 0-60m/ph for the yankies.

Can someone explain to me - I've never really understood what bhp translates to in the real world. At its most basic, more torque can be described as more pulling power, right? Rotational force, so as long as you don't have so much torque that you lose grip it's largely an improvement in acceleration, right? (I'm not talking about off-roading and other types of driving that don't use roads/tarmac).

But what does more horsepower really relate to? From what I understand, it's a function of torque and rpm... so is it really just a benchmark? Does it have a very useful meaning?

From what I've understood (probably incorrect), Torque helps with acceleration, Power helps with top end speed.