Mark Webber blog

Great article. He makes me proud to be Australian.

YOU'RE TASMANIAN!

Great article. He makes me proud to be Australian.

Yeah, stop calling yourself an Aussie, you're a Tasmainian!! :p

Last edited:
*sniff* no love......

Haha SNAP!!! I'll pay that one.....except she doesn't exist.

Ok, we can all talk about Necx0's unusual sexual prefences later, but I found this blog to be refreshingly insightful. Look forward to the next installments.

lol Mark Webber is so damn funny. I was amazed at how long Webber was talking for at the press conference. I can only assume he was savoring and prolonging the moment.

Now this, he's got his on Webber-WebLog. Hilarious.

Agreed, I hope he continues doing them!!

I really like the Mark Webber blog entries, they are very insightful. Go Webber!! :p

Go Honda!

I walked into that one :lol:

Webber's Latest Blog Entry

Webber's Latest Blog Entry

World Wide Webber

Eurosport - Thu, 06 Sep 22:34:00 2007

In his latest Exclusive blog for eurosport.yahoo.com, Red Bull star Mark Webber speaks out about testing, the Italian Grand Prix, and a certain Mr Casey Stoner who seems to be doing rather well for himself at the moment.

Hi guys. It's been a bit hectic this last week. Since the Turkish Grand Prix I've been off to Monza for some testing with Red Bull. Luckily I was in the car for the first two days so I was at home on my sofa by the time the rain came and delayed things for David.

We focused pretty heavily on brakes ? Monza is the hardest braking track of the season - and on set-ups for the race. It's a unique place now since the old Hockenheim has gone so the wing levels and the general settings are pretty specific to that one race and the data we gather can only really be used there.

The test didn't throw up any surprises. We know where we are - on the fringes of the top ten - and that's not gonna change this season. The days of Williams being able to out-develop you over a year are long gone. I guess if you took our cars back to Melbourne tomorrow and ran the Australian Grand Prix again we'd be about 1.5 seconds quicker than we were in March, but that's the same for everyone so we all pretty much stay where we are in terms of performance.

It's a shame really because we need to improve after the way we went in Turkey. I take some of the blame myself. I could have been quicker in Q2 and found two tenths, but I didn't do a clean lap. The race started off well. We were heavy on fuel and benefited from the Trulli/Fisichella crash at turn one, so we were running tenth, but then the differential started playing up after six laps and after nine it became terminal. To be honest we were going nowhere anyway. The start flattered us and we'd probably have finished just ahead of David.

That should be worrying me for Spa, as it's a similar kind of track, but actually I'm pretty confident because we had a good test there in July. Fuji should be good too because we did well in the USA and it's the most similar circuit to there we reckon.

Our new technical director Geoff Willis was there in Turkey and it's good to have him. He has a lot of experience and should improve us as an outfit as far as the working processes and strategies of the technical side and testing goes. We need to do a much better job there and I'm sure he's gonna fit in well doing that. It's much more of a Ross Brawn role than one involved strictly with design and engineering. That's more Adrian Newey's side of things.

So to the battle for the championship. I said in one of my previous blogs that you could run this season 100 times and McLaren would always come out on top, and I stand by my view. Ferrari had a good weekend, make that a great weekend, in Turkey, but look at last week's test here; McLaren were fastest on each of the four days.

I won't say Ferrari will be out of the title race if they don't finish one and two at Monza, because I think it's unlikely McLaren will get to the end of the year without at least one mechanical failure, but it will be difficult for them if they don't.

Sure it's close between Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonen and Massa, but the racing has been a bit stale. That's just the way it is in F1 now though. You can't overtake unless you have a significant time advantage over the next guy. My crew at Red Bull have calculated the time needed. At some tracks it's as much as 2.2 seconds a lap and even at Monza with it's long straights, it's still not easy and you need a second in hand. McLaren and Ferrari have certainly never had a second advantage over each other at any point this year.

People say F1 needs to be more like Moto GP when it comes to that, but does it? I love bikes, but the electronics that have come in this year have ruined the racing a bit. Less overtaking is the problem because all the bikes are so similar in performance. And they're bringing in more next year. At least we're eliminating much of the electronics for 2008.

Speaking of Moto GP, it's great to see my fellow Australian Casey Stoner dominating the way he is. Misano just saw him in a class of his own. And Chris Vermeulen second too! Brilliant! It's getting like the Mick Doohan days again. I've met Casey before and we've agreed to do a helmet swap for a one-off race. He doesn't want to do it yet - he's a bit superstitious I guess and doesn't want to change anything at the moment that might bring him bad luck. Maybe if he's wrapped up the title before Phillip Island then he can run my colour scheme there, and I'd run his in Melbourne next year. We'll see.

Mark Webber / Eurosport

Source

More from Webber...
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10102007/58/world-wide-webber.html

Hi guys. I've been back from China for a few days now and I have to say that the whole Asian trip was a massive disappointment.

You all saw what happened in Japan. We'd had a brilliant race to second place and probably should have had a double top-six for the Red Bull team with me and David [Coulthard]. It all ended though because of a clumsy little accident behind the safety car.

It was easily as disappointing as Monaco 2005, because, although I'm not saying I would have won either race, I know this time I would have put Lewis under more pressure than he had in the end.

I got pretty much slaughtered by the British gutter press about what I said on Thursday in China ? in the FIA press conference, but I guess that's what happens when you say something negative about the golden boy.

The fact of the matter is that I said what I said because I thought he didn't do a great job behind the safety car. He could have done much better, in fact. And, to Lewis' credit, he came out and said exactly the same; first to me and then in public.

It's easy to be wise after the event, and what he's said doesn't put me back in the race, but that's the way it goes sometimes. It's just disappointing that it was my race that was ended because of it.

It doesn't bother me what the press said about me, whinging Webber and all that. Cowboys don't cry, I say, and I have some pretty thick skin. It's old news now, and those newspapers are already wrapping chips, so what difference does it really make?

And then on to the race in China. Again things were going well, but it all fell apart. We came in early for a tyre change and I chose to go into intermediates, when two laps later it was pretty clear that dry tyres were the way to go. I thought it was going to rain straight away though, and it didn't, so we dropped back a long way.

I managed to recover, and took eight seconds out of David near the end. I thought I could have passed him for the final point, but it's so hard to follow because you lose so much downforce when you get close behind, so that didn't happen.

And then I got out wide at turns nine and ten and Heikki was able to come by.

So two races that could have could have given us a big haul of points have given us nothing. At least David scored in both so the Constructors' Championship picture looks better and we're only four points behind Williams.

It could have been so much better though. I've always said you're gonna have one day a season where a really good result turns to dust, and I thought I had it in Canada, when I lost second place to a bad strategy and ended up seventh.

Still, it's done now and I'll be off to Brazil in a few days, so I'll just chill out a bit and then we'll see how we go there.