Found a shot of Richard's Lemmings Graffiti!

It seems to me that many posters don't know the difference between grafitti and tagging.

:lmao: @ the Asteroids one

Were you a victim of graffiti/vandalism?
Not personally, but my old neighborhood in California sucked. There was some dickless group of retards going around tagging their gang signs on people homes and fences. They should be shot on sight.
oh get off your rocking chair old man. graffiti can be a great break in the monotony of state financed architecture and signage. so long as it isn't gang territory markings or some dumb teenager scrawling his "handle" on everything I think graffiti is great.
If the property owner allows it, I have no problem with it. But when it's just some idiot morons fucking up property out of boredom or whatever, I have a problem with it. It looks trashy. And when they have to paint over it, and it gets tagged on again, and painted over again... you'll know just what a festering shit hole you're living in.
It seems to me that many posters don't know the difference between grafitti and tagging.
It's all the same bullshit, if you ask me. But as long as the property owners are cool with it, I don't see a problem. Sometimes it's very fine artwork, majority of the time it's just lame crap.

so has anybody found the episode where he mentions spraying this?

Not personally, but my old neighborhood in California sucked. There was some dickless group of retards going around tagging their gang signs on people homes and fences. They should be shot on sight.

In some states they can be - and you don't see nearly as much graffiti.

To those who defend the vandals:

Whatever you call it, if you spraypaint someone else's property you are committing vandalism. I have no problem with murals if they are approved by the property owner. Most of what has been posted under the "graffiti" (as opposed to "tagging") doesn't look like vandalism, but sanctioned artwork. It would take too long to complete those projects without the property owner - or someone - noticing and intervening or painted it over. If it is vandalism, then I'm sure it has been removed by now.

I don't have a problem with urban art - I do have a problem with vandalism and defacement of property. Call me old if you want, "Junior," but I know how I would feel if my home or business was defaced. How would it look to my clients if I had graffiti all over my building? Not very professional.

"Tagging" is just a word that softens the act of vandalism. Whatever you call it, it's still the destruction of public or private property.

Let's put it another way: Many things have been called "art" including a plastic crucifix immersed in a jar of human urine. What if I think human waste can be used for artistic expression and want to make a statement about excess waste in our culture? Can I come take a dump on your stove to artistically express the metaphor of "don't shit where you eat?"

If the defacement of your stove with my crap isn't ok, then why is the defacement of my building (or our buildings in the case of public property) acceptable? The only difference is a matter of degree and intensity - the basic concept is no different.

So, you don't paint any thing I own, in whole or in part - and I won't come to your house and shit on your kitchen counters.

The kissing policemen is interesting: is it graffiti, or is it art? That was done by Banksy. Personally, I think graffiti is childish; it's about ego: 'look what I done, innit'.

I like Bansky though, so now I'm totally confused.

Last edited:
I really can't stand the 'tagging' or the people who do it for that matter. It's juvenile and sad and it's usually ugly and invariably pointless. It doesn't take any skill or thought - it's just pathetic, really.

I do like some of the larger murals. But only if they're done legally or at least on a piece of property that nobody cares about like a goods train or the wall of an underpass.

What I really do like tho is this sort of thing:
But maybe that's all that Rage Against The Machine I listened to as a teenager. :lol:

If you want to make a quiet little protest then writing it on a blank wall in a public place can be just the right way to express it. If you see a way to make a joke out of your surroundings why not do it? If you can think of something insightful you're better than most people - write that shit on a wall so the rest of us can benefit.

Finally;
(you down with OPP?)
Yeah you know me!

Most of what has been posted under the "graffiti" (as opposed to "tagging") doesn't look like vandalism, but sanctioned artwork. It would take too long to complete those projects without the property owner - or someone - noticing and intervening or painted it over. If it is vandalism, then I'm sure it has been removed by now.
I used to write quite a bit when I was younger and I can tell you, there is no reason at all to think any of that is sanctioned. Sometimes you just get lucky and have hours and hours to do whatever you want, this is usually under bridges, in tunnels behind buildings, etc. Then again, sometimes you just gotta keep coming back, night after night after night and add a little more each time before you're chased out. Some really really really detailed shit has been carried out by crews or individuals in a single night, with the people who live or work in the area going to work the next day with a little bit of extra color in their day.

"Tagging" is just a word that softens the act of vandalism. Whatever you call it, it's still the destruction of public or private property.
Now I'm not defending tagging, and there is indeed a big difference, but now that I'm basically a janitor at an amphiteatre I can tell you it's not destruction AT ALL. Graffiti of all kinds made with all kinds of materials can be removed in SECONDS without any damage to the structure at all. If you see a piece that has been in a place for a long time, the owner just doesn't care enough to remove it. getting rid of graffiti is most often done with a spray can ironically. I removed some just last night in fact. All you do is spray on some chemical, wait about 5 seconds and wipe it off, it's that easy. the chemical sprays aren't expensive either, about a buck or so more than run of the mill paint. A huge wall sized mural will take a bit more, but you'll still spend less time and money removing it than the artist did putting it there.

I can see the objections to tagging, or if a piece is offensive, vulgar or whatever, but most of the time this isn't the case with actual artwork and I think it breathes welcome life into such dull and lifeless architecture. bombs and murals and such are usually done on boring pieces of public property, not the residence of John Q. Public in the burbs. throwing something up in an alleyway, under and overpass or raised highway, in a tunnel or whatever, frankly I don't see the problem at all. The only shit you'll see out in your face in the public space is usually some bullshit tag done by some 12 year old kid who WANTS to be a writer, but either sucks or doesn't have the balls to do real shit.

I'm not sure, but somehow I think it was the episode where JC drives the Audi Diesel V8 from London to Edinburgh and back on one single tank when Richard said that. I may be wrong on that one, but I do remember he did say he read "Lemmings" sprayed on a bridge on the way to the city centre of London.

About graffiti and tagging: I actually have seen proper graffitis I considered very beautiful and nicely done. However, almost all of it is done on private property, which I can not approve. As beautiful as it may ever be, would you be happy to find a graffiti on your car when you come back from work? On that basis, can you approve of graffitis sprayed on some wall? That wall belongs to somebody, and he most likely won't be happy about it. And on that basis, I agree with this statement:
...On a side note, I believe people committing graffiti/vandalism should be shot on sight.

I seriously don't know where you people are seeing murals, bombs and shit on stupid things like people's cars, fences, houses, storefronts, and whatever else place you're objecting to. I've never seen that crap, and don't know ANYONE who has done a piece on such property :?

and of course you think they should be shot on sight, you're german, you think everyone who isn't dull should be shot on sight. ;)

I seriously don't know where you people are seeing murals, bombs and shit on stupid things like people's cars, fences, houses, storefronts, and whatever else place you're objecting to. I've never seen that crap, and don't know ANYONE who has done a piece on such property :?

My father's truck has been graffitied several times. It happens, and those doing it deserve a beating.

99% of the time people do it on other peoples stuff, it's irrelevent if we're "confusing" tagging with graffiti
That's he point, it is damaging foreign property.

99% of the time people do it on other peoples stuff, it's irrelevent if we're "confusing" tagging with graffiti

Exactly, i don't care what or how pretty it is, if it's on private property it's wrong. the only thing graffiti or tagging or whatever the hell it is is good for is getting people to work together to take it off

lol, you still don't get it. :rolleyes: ah well, different strokes I guess. It is funny to see people worked up over such a harmless and trivial thing tho. :lol:

"god damned kids keep walking on my grass!!!"

"god damned kids keep walking on my grass!!!"
There's a bit of a difference (you don't seem to see) between walking on someones grass and spraying someones wall with graffiti or tags.