Cell Phone Woes

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
I used mobile17.com to send a graphic and ringtone to my phone - now my Bluetooth headset doesn't work anymore. I have been working with Verizon, who replaced my phone (twice) and the headset to fix the problem. It was working fine today until I sent the files to my phone.

If you have Verizon or a Razr, I don't recommend using Mobile17.com - it came recommended by several FinalGear.com users - but it's been nothing but trouble. Now I have to go back to Verizon and explain to them they just burned about $500 in hardware on me for something that's my own damn fault; then I get to plead with them to reprogram my phone.

I know it's a bit late to say this now, but why didn't you just buy a bluetooth dongle to transfer stuff to your phone?

My phone actually has a USB plug and a microSD card slot - the problem is that Verizon has Nerf'd the Motorola software to limit functionality. Anything you want to use as a ring tone has to look like it was purchased - they have done something to the phone so that any MP3s you load can't be used as a ring. Trust me, that was the first thing I tried. Mobile17.com lets you upload up to 0:40 of an MP3 and they send it to your phone for free - you have to wait a couple hours or you can upgrade and pay for the service. The song I want (the Firefly theme) isn't available to buy anywhere - and I have a problem paying more for a ring tone than I do an entire single.

I would love to flash the memory on this thing back to Motorola standards. It will still work on the Verizon network, but I would have all the features back Motorola turned off - like universal BlueTooth connectivity. Right now the phone will only link with a headset.

NEVER buy a non GSM locked phone from an operator. They're nothing but trouble.

I found that if I set the ring tone back to something that came with the phone it works fine.

Freakin' weird.

That's why Sprint > Verizon when it comes to third-party downloads. Sprint doesn't cripple their handsets and put the same horrible UI on all their phones like Verizon does.

That's why Sprint > Verizon when it comes to third-party downloads. Sprint doesn't cripple their handsets and put the same horrible UI on all their phones like Verizon does.

T-Mobile is another carrier that doesn't cripple their phones. I've sent loads of ringtones via bluetooth to my friend's Razr, which he got with his service. They even let you use your own unlocked GSM phone! :thumbup:

Having been a verizon cellphone tech for 2 years bitpim is the way to go in so far as transfering ringtones (or anything for that matter) to your cellphone. That being said provided you have not mentioned what you were doing or that it's your fault you may be able to get into a different phone. just say something like "i don't trust motorolla as a manfacturer because i have had so many problems is there any way i can get a different phone" i am guessing you could get an LG vx8300 or Samsung a950 instead of the craptacular V3 (shittiest phone sold by verizon that isn't a kyoceara or a pantech) personaly i would go for the samsung if it is available (replacement kits are of limited selection)

if anyone else has any verizon questions feel free to PM me if i don't have the answer i have friends still in the company that i can ask

Last edited:
My last phone was Samsung and I couldn't stand it. It was easily the worst phone I have ever owned. Overall I like the Razr, it's just with the recent software "upgrade" from Verizon that the ringtone broke the bluetooth. If I set the ringtone to one that came with the phone it works fine again.

http://www.bitpim.org/

:) Works with my Verizon Phone. Both Bluetooth and USB transfers work

( I have the Flip Chocolate phone.. I forget the true name/number )

I looked, but it doesn't seem to have support for my model Razr.

if your not looking to change phones and you want to add your own ringtones have a look around HowardForums it's pretty much the best cellphone forum on the internet i am sure they will have some FAQ or How-To posts that can help you.

My last phone was Samsung and I couldn't stand it. It was easily the worst phone I have ever owned. Overall I like the Razr, it's just with the recent software "upgrade" from Verizon that the ringtone broke the bluetooth. If I set the ringtone to one that came with the phone it works fine again.

I looked, but it doesn't seem to have support for my model Razr.

This guide should help. http://motov3m.com/tiki-index.php?page=BITPIM

Even telstra, the most godawful phone company don't place any restrictions on content usage - all they add is a little icon for their mobile site in the menu. The only handset locking they do is for discounted phones on prepaid, my phone is from a telstra contract using virgin mobile sim :0