Found a shot of Richard's Lemmings Graffiti!

if you don't keep your property lit up at night you're just asking from trouble, least of all from vandals. read any security manual, pamphlet, guide, whatever and it'll tell you to keep your place nice and lit up at night.

you think being a crackhead is an excuse or that crackheads are the only people looking to rip a place off?

what you get from writing depends on what you want. some people do get respect from their peers and such, but others just want to spice up something dull, drab and ugly.

If that were true then why do they paint over existing "art" that has been put up?

For a few reasons, but mostly it's just to 1up you. like busting a 540 after your 360 or upping the entry speed or angle on your drift. sometimes areas or spots are just high profile or coveted, so everyone paints over everyone in those areas. if you "bump into" someone enough times you can develop a rivalry and then they'll go over your pieces and you'll go over theirs, and so on.

honestly I think that's a good part of graffiti, the dynamic element, the notion that you've spent so much time and money creating something that may not be there the next day, or may be drastically altered. I think that's attractive. The first few times someone went over my shit I was pissed, but after a while I started to get excited to see what others had done, or how my piece had changed. it's funny developing a feel and "relationship" with someone you never see.

usually you know if a piece is commissioned or not, and most people are really reluctant to go over a commissioned piece, especially when there is an abundance of other places.

"Reluctant" - So even if I did commission a work on my wall, it's entirely possible it would be painted over anyway, especially if there is bad blood between the artist I hired and someone else. So painting my own wall doesn't actually do anything.

Sorry, but I don't think you will ever convince me that you are "improving" anything or that what you do isn't vandalism (unless it's with permission or in a designated area). We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. Even though I have never had any of my property spray-painted I just don't see the difference between that and other forms of vandalism. Hell, when that American kid got caught spray painting cars or something in whatever country in Asia and he was publicly caned for it, I actually was happy about it. Everyone else was up-in-arms about the punishment, but I liked it.

I'm not saying that there aren't talented artist out there, but as a general rule they are few and far between. The vast VAST majority of graffiti is just ugly. You talk about trying to improve "ugly" structures (I'm assuming concrete, since that is the most common material I see painted). As a photographer, I find those "ugly" structures appealing. It's amazing what you can do with light, shadow and perspective in some of those areas - but graffiti just makes it ugly and trashy looking.

"Reluctant" - So even if I did commission a work on my wall, it's entirely possible it would be painted over anyway, especially if there is bad blood between the artist I hired and someone else. So painting my own wall doesn't actually do anything.
the wall could go from being hit once or twice a week to several months. also the good thing about this is all you need to do is tell the artist that if anyone paints over it, they're welcome to come right back and do something new or fix it. you don't even need to pay someone to do this.
Sorry, but I don't think you will ever convince me that you are "improving" anything or that what you do isn't vandalism (unless it's with permission or in a designated area). We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. Even though I have never had any of my property spray-painted I just don't see the difference between that and other forms of vandalism. Hell, when that American kid got caught spray painting cars or something in whatever country in Asia and he was publicly caned for it, I actually was happy about it. Everyone else was up-in-arms about the punishment, but I liked it.
I suppose that says something about you. Me, I'm more of a punishment should fit the crime kinda guy, not a sadist.
I'm not saying that there aren't talented artist out there, but as a general rule they are few and far between. The vast VAST majority of graffiti is just ugly. You talk about trying to improve "ugly" structures (I'm assuming concrete, since that is the most common material I see painted). As a photographer, I find those "ugly" structures appealing. It's amazing what you can do with light, shadow and perspective in some of those areas - but graffiti just makes it ugly and trashy looking.
to each his own then I suppose. I like photographing graffiti, it's what got me into writing actually. I'm not much of a fan of the bland, sterile, block and cylinder type of architecture that goes into things like overpasses, tunnels and other things built as an afterthought. I also don't like abandoned buildings that have been wallpapered with advertisements or gang markings, so I feel painting on such surfaces is an improvement.

I suppose that says something about you. Me, I'm more of a punishment should fit the crime kinda guy, not a sadist.

So you'd be happy for me to come and paint on your house or car?

esaa_dream.jpg

Graffitti Murals.... :thumbsup:

041304_graffiti001.jpg

Random Graffiti.... :thumbsdown:

The other day my friend was doing Graffiti :idiot: and I got really pissed at him and he couldn't understand why... so I went on this big rant about how it costs tax money to clean it up and that it's not real art unless it's an actual picture/mural... anyways... Most graffiti = Bad

well, theres a company that almost screwed me over on housing but to show no hard feelings i'd like you to go 'improve' some of their offices and cars for me

The other day my friend was doing Graffiti :idiot: and I got really pissed at him and he couldn't understand why... so I went on this big rant about how it costs tax money to clean it up and that it's not real art unless it's an actual picture/mural... anyways... Most graffiti = Bad

"Cool story, Hansel."

I thought maybe you guys would find this interesting, it's a local story(to me) I came across randomly:

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=75263

also, this thread has inspired me to pick up the old rattle cans again, so maybe in the near future I'll do a finalgear inspired mural or something, haha.

That would be cool, be sure to get pics.

Just get permission first.

well, theres a company that almost screwed me over on housing but to show no hard feelings i'd like you to go 'improve' some of their offices and cars for me
again with the cars, lol.:rolleyes:
That would be cool, be sure to get pics.
I will. right now I'm working in my sketch book and making caps cause I'm too cheap to buy new ones:lol: I won't get too wildstyle with it, I'll make sure the "finalgear" is legible for the most part.
Just get permission first.
probably not going to happen.

Then, with all due respect, I hope you get caught and ticketed for vandalism.

grfft5.jpg

grfft4.jpg

grfft3.jpg

grfft2.jpg

grffti1.jpg

I got a chance to see this in person in Montreal, and it was one of the most spectacularly awesome things I'd ever witnessed.

:bow: