Horn Problem

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
I have a problem with the horn on my 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager. First of all it doesn't even work when I press the steering wheel, but it sometimes comes on for no reason and I think that only happens when I turn the headlights on. This is driving me insane because today I was making a left turn on a traffic light-controlled intersection and I was 2nd in line and the light turned yellow and the car in front of me went and I followed and my horn just started beeping for no reason and it didn't make short beeps; it beeped for about 4 seconds and stopped and went for 2 seconds a couple of times after that. Then I realized that if I turned off my headlights the horn won't work. I think there's a problem with the wiring for the lights and the horn; they are probably tangled or something. I would like to know what could be causing this problem and how can it be fixed; I was also thinking of taking the horn's fuse out of the box.

Please help this is so embarrassing when it happens.

Thanks.

I'd first just try backtracing the wiring from the horn to.. well as far as you can reach. Just check the wiring insulation integrity etc. Also i doubt the horn has its very own fuse. As far as i can remember on older cars horns were grounded on body, just fiddle around with a multimeter to check whether there's any change in voltage when you switch lights on etc.
Although i should warn you, what i said could easily be a load of rubbish cause i dont own a car and last time i mended something electrical was about three years ago :D

First thing I thought of:
litmisssuncap-thumb.jpg

:lol:

^That movie is absolutely classic:lol:

[youtube]81fhsHzsNdc[/youtube]

About a month ago, I wanted to fix this problem myself, so I opened up the case (behind the steering wheel and where the 4-way flasher activator is) and I unplugged the horn from there ( I stashed it away from the input). I tested this by turning the lights on the horn didn't come on (before the horn came on only when I turned the headlights on). Today, it happened again. I was driving on some streets near my house and it came on. I tried turning the light off and nothing worked. I pulled over in an empty parking lot and it kept on honking (not like an alarm, but a continuous honk, like someone was pushing it on the steering wheel.) After about 10 mins it stopped. I then drove to my house, opened the casing again and saw that the plug for the horn was very close to the input. I then realized that the plug is very sensitive to the input (it doesn't have to be plugged in all the way; just a little touch can activate the horn.) I then stashed the plug deeper where it won't touch the input. Now I have to wait and see what happens next.

Another question I have is how come before, the horn only went on when the lights were turned on and now the lights had nothing to do with it?

I really need help and I want someone to tell me what to do (so I can fix it myself and not go to a mechanic).

Thanks.

Electrics suck. I cant give you mcuh advice, only thing I can say is make sure you check all the simple things before you do anything too difficult. Make sure the battery is fully charged and holds charge, the fuses are all OK and all the globes are OK. Then check the connections to make sure there are no "dry joints".

Ive had strange things happen, caused by something really simple.

Today when I went to work it was fine. I still kept two of the three screws that hold the casing together out if their holes just in case I have to open it up in a hurry (don't worry, it is held together by plastic clips also). I can undo the plastic clips easily by grabbing on where it meets with the ignition (circle around the keyhole) and prying it open (it clips back easily).

I have another question. Is that plug (for the horn behind the steering wheel) the only input the horn has, or can it come on from somewhere else? I mean does the horn have any other electrical connections in the car (under the hood maybe)?

Anyway I'll ask about this problem next time I get an oil change, maybe the mechanic can fix the horn all together (so it'll go off on command only when I push on the centre of the steering wheel, like a normal horn should work:wink:).

First thing I thought of:
litmisssuncap-thumb.jpg

:lol:
That actually happened to me once. I pulled the door of that ancient VW bully open, and it just fell off. I was so embarrassed, but they guys told me it happens all the time. :?