London begins installing indestructible, camouflaged speed cameras!

nist7

Car(s)
2006 Acura TL
029SPEEDCAMERA_468x833.jpg

They have been demolished with diggers, destroyed by fire and even blown up with explosives by angry motorists.

Now a speed camera billed as the toughest in the world has been designed in an attempt to repel vandals.

The device towers 13ft above the road and features strengthened glass as well as a fire-resistant body and a stiffened steel base.

It is fitted with smoke and vibration sensors which can detect an attack.

If someone does try to damage the camera, it triggers an alarm at the nearest police station and automatically downloads all its vital digital photographic data back to base so that no evidence is lost.

The camera's enforcement technology is just as hi-tech.

It can monitor four lanes of traffic at once, take front and rear facing images and, unlike the UK's current fixed speed cameras, can patrol both sides of the road simultaneously.

The IDEE machine - it stands for Innovative Digital Enforcement Environment - is already in use in Holland. According to the car magazine Auto Express, the Dutch manufacturer is hoping to bring it to the UK.

Mat Watson, news and features editor of Auto Express, said: "We've spoken to the maker and have found out they are keen to sell it across the rest of Europe including Britain.

"This would be done through their UK operation. The camera would need to go through Home Office-type approval before it could be put to work on the roads here, but this process could take less than a year.

"And the device should certainly appeal to the authorities here because it's the toughest speed camera in the world thanks to an array of anti-vandal counter measures."

The most significant of these is its fire-resistant properties.

The camera's internal design insulates the important enclosed electronics against extreme heat allowing them to survive most fires unharmed.

The camera, which costs between ?30,000 and ?50,000 depending on specification, is mounted in a thick steel base which is driven direct into the ground without the need for concrete foundations.

This set-up provides added strength against being rammed or pulled out of the ground.

The camerasand flash equipment are protected behind impact-resistant polycarbonate glass.

The anti-vandal features should leave the camera free to detect speeders which it does using induction loops in the road, although it can also operate with radar technology.

There are four separate high-resolution digital cameras which use infra-red technology to flash twice so rapidly that even in very busy traffic no incidents should be missed.

The flashes are also invisible to motorists who won't know they've been snapped until they receive a fine through the post.

Changes to the rules mean speed cameras in the UK no longer have to be bright yellow, but can be painted to blend in with their surroundings at the discretion of the local authority.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...hat+will+defy+bombs+and+bulldozers/article.do

I'm so glad I live in the USA. :blink:

Indestructible?

Like the trains they will malfunction when it gets too wet, too dry, wrong sort of snow or there are leaves about.

Do the cameras use radar or laser like ours? cause if you have a detector, you can find them easy.

then, with some good old fashioned thermite, TA-DA! instant ?50,000 hit at "the man".

So, if there not for profit? and there put in places that are danagrous? why is the camera camouflaged?

I'm going to add this to the reasons why I'm leaving the UK as soon as I've got my degree.

...And why there are not two dozen Wicker Men burning in front of Whitehall is beyond me.

Fight back, Britain! This is YOUR duly elected officials wasting YOUR money! 50,000 would I am sure pay for 1-2 policeman, who are of more help than some speed camera is.

They have been demolished with diggers, destroyed by fire and even blown up with explosives by angry motorists.
Seriously , haven't they got the point of what citizens want?

Mat Watson, news and features editor of Auto Express, said: "We've spoken to the maker and have found out they are keen to sell it across the rest of Europe including Britain.

For the rest of the EU, be very afraid for your privacy rights, this is downright scary.

Changes to the rules mean speed cameras in the UK no longer have to be bright yellow, but can be painted to blend in with their surroundings at the discretion of the local authority.

Again, just pissing on your rights, since this could lead to more invasion of privacy...ever read 1984?

Last edited:
Indestructible? All you needs is a can of spray paint....

My rather unorthodox microsoft paint solution to this problem.
http://img385.imageshack.**/img385/6997/untitledhm7.jpg

We have a much better solution to them here, especially as since it is camera-happy Britain, where they have cameras watching cameras:

Remington700PSS_MirageFlage.jpg

Remington 700 PSS, available over the counter here. I note that those camera pods aren't ballistic-resistant.

compare.jpg

Camera, meet .50 Caliber bullet, .50 caliber bullet, camera.

And if that doesn't work, Mr. Camera can meet Mr. AT-4...

800px-AT4-johnson2004-02-03.jpg

Remington700PSS_MirageFlage.jpg

Remington 700 PSS, available over the counter here. I note that those camera pods aren't ballistic-resistant.

Pfft, 50 cal FTW.

EDIT: Bah, American TG Man beat me. :(

Some super-glue on the glass bits mixed with some other materials would do the trick for a while I think.