It's Offical: I'm Tired of Four-Cylinders

MKIII Turbo Supra with the 5 speed. It's an 80's Toyota, so it's cheap, reliable, and strong. Get a mechanic to take care of the head gasket properly and it'll serve you well for years to come.
I think the MKIII Supra is at the top of my list. Perhaps not a turbo, though, as they're hard to find around here with decently-low mileage and turbo-charged engine with high mileage is a scary thing.

buy an E30 or E36 M3, you will not regret it.
I have no doubt about that, but it's too rich for my blood.

I think the MKIII Supra is at the top of my list. Perhaps not a turbo, though, as they're hard to find around here with decently-low mileage and turbo-charged engine with high mileage is a scary thing.
It doesn't really matter which one you go for, they're both very durable although the turbo will cost extra to maintain of course. I do suggest looking for one that had the engine rebuilt so that the head gasket issue is taken care of. Toyota designed the engine so that it could also be used on powerful sedans so its smooth for daily driving.

buy an E30 or E36 M3, you will not regret it.

He won't regret it...until he gets passed by something faster with a 4cyl. engine. :lol:

Do you live in a race track or in the real world?

the real world is a race track, its humans who got all self righteous and took all the fun out of it

i used to be for all chassi and no engine, but i have to say that in the area i live (and anywhere in america really) it just makes sense to have something that can get up to 150 in a hurry if you really need it to. Of course you don't cruise at that speed, that might be dangerous! But sometimes the road clears, and its a better stimulant then any legal drug.

On i side note everybody around where i work drives pretty quick for one of the only cities in the country that nearly legalizes marijuana with its super-loose laws (Ann Arbor, Mi)

Back on topic...

Get a mkiii supra if you just have to go japanese, and get a foxbody mustang if you really need a V8, having ridden in many Camaros and Mustangs i can say that for some reason the Foxbody just feels more purposful and somehow more solid and comfortable, where the Camaro somehow just feels very plastic. Either way i would recommend at the very least getting some sort of new strut inserts, as theirs nothing worse then riding in a mustang around a race-track with bouncy shocks

Ohhh, and the ford motors sounds better under-load (where it counts), even in ugly cars

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7igooaWLvg[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Firebird, Camaro, Trans-Am

1997-2002 models are the best. In addition to being sporty they are also inexpensive, safe, and very reliable cars. Also, parts will be cheaper than for a Supra or Euro-Junk.

Ford Mustang is also a good choice. Cobra Mustang is not a good choice though. It doesn't offer much more performance, but costs a lot more, and is a lot less reliable. It is very expensive to maintain.

I would stay away from 3rd generation Mustangs and Camaros.

I would stay away from 3rd generation Mustangs and Camaros.

Are you mad?

First of all 3rd gen f-bodies (Camaro/Firebird/Trans-Am) are definately more reliable than 4th gens. Don't believe me? Here's a pic of my odometer from my 1990 Camaro:

12-08-07_1655b.jpg

Those are the original miles on the engine which doesn't smoke, burn oil, and doesn't leak any fluids. I see more 3rd gen f-bodies with over 220,000 original miles than I do 4th gens with over 140,000 original miles.

And as far as Mustangs are concerned, the 302ci V8 is just as reliable as the Chevy 305/350 in my book. These engines can be driven hard all their life and still start right up in the morning and driven to your job with no problems. And whats even better is the fact that 3rd gen f-bodies and late 80's / early 90's foxbody Mustangs are holding their value pretty well. Which I can't say the same with 4th gen f-bodies and mid-90's to late 90's Mustangs. I've been around these cars for almost 2 decades so I think know what I'm talking about. :mrgreen:

man for a bit more than 10K you could get a E34 M5 3.6L I6 5 speed manual. and it's a great platform

^ Man, I would love to have a Bimmer, but the insurance, maintenance and repair costs would eat me alive. I don't know what it's like in Europe to repair a German car, but it's horrendously expensive in North America. My mom's Jetta had to have a timing belt replaced, and it was close to $1000 -- and she wasn't being ripped off, that's just the way it is for German cars in this continent (or, at least, Canada).

JCE3000GT, thanks for the info - that is all very encouraging to know that those good ol' V8's will last longer than me! If I were to get a Mustang, it would definitely be pre-1994, the mid-to-late-90's styling is bland and generic.

Impressive. Although over here in Canada the cars are exposed to harsh winters, humidity, and don't last as long.

Are you mad?

First of all 3rd gen f-bodies (Camaro/Firebird/Trans-Am) are definately more reliable than 4th gens. Don't believe me? Here's a pic of my odometer from my 1990 Camaro:

12-08-07_1655b.jpg

Those are the original miles on the engine which doesn't smoke, burn oil, and doesn't leak any fluids. I see more 3rd gen f-bodies with over 220,000 original miles than I do 4th gens with over 140,000 original miles.

And as far as Mustangs are concerned, the 302ci V8 is just as reliable as the Chevy 305/350 in my book. These engines can be driven hard all their life and still start right up in the morning and driven to your job with no problems. And whats even better is the fact that 3rd gen f-bodies and late 80's / early 90's foxbody Mustangs are holding their value pretty well. Which I can't say the same with 4th gen f-bodies and mid-90's to late 90's Mustangs. I've been around these cars for almost 2 decades so I think know what I'm talking about. :mrgreen:

They can be reliable in their gass-guzzling stock guise, but i actually know of a 5.0 that broke its block in half because it revved to 7200RPMs, before you say anything, it did have cams, and while it was running it did 12 Seconds in the quarter, but still, the freaking block cracked!

Blowing your motor isn't anything new. I've seen many Japanese cars grenade as a result of boost.

rotories die all the time from boost, simple formula is boost pressure in = apex seal out

Yeah, PSI can do some damage if you're not careful. And 7200RPM through a 302ci is just asking for trouble. Even the modern all aluminum LS7 is commended for it's redline of 7000RPM. Albeit, a much larger engine.

They can be reliable in their gass-guzzling stock guise, but i actually know of a 5.0 that broke its block in half because it revved to 7200RPMs, before you say anything, it did have cams, and while it was running it did 12 Seconds in the quarter, but still, the freaking block cracked!

Check ebay, you'll see there is actually a brace to prevent that from happening. I only heard of the blocks cracking above the 600hp mark.

rotories die all the time from boost, simple formula is boost pressure in = apex seal out

Take boost out of the equation and a rotary is one HELL of a reliable motor. I've talked to owners with over 500k miles on their cars/engines, and others admitting that the only reason why they didn't go that long was because of their own stupidity.

Thing is, if I drive very conservatively in my Camaro I can average 17~19mpg with mixed driving. Though, it varies on temperature it seems. On really hot days I get 16~18mpg with conservative driving. Now, granted, when I open up the throttle a bit (or alot :mrgreen:) my mileage drops to single digits almost. 9~12mpg if you're curious. :lol:

My Prelude seems to be a completely different animal. Conservative (never passing 2000rpm) mixed driving yields 32~35mpg--while hardcore driving with the RPMs constantly over 4000rpm gives me...*ahem*16~20mpg.

Oh, and pushing a Ford 302 past ~6000rpms is suicide.

6500 is fine if the engine is warm

Personally i would still get a Foxbody

unless you can find a clean alfa! Not tons of power, but their so much better then any logical reason can explain