Guess That Car game - By Clues Only

I didn't know if it was the SP2 or the SP1, everywhere i read about an SP1 being produced very briefly before being superceded by the SP2, so i went for the SP1 :)

The SP1 had a 1.6L boxer engine could deliver only 65hp. Everyone complained and so VW did some changes in the engine and went for a 1.7L boxer with 75hp. Despite it's efforts the engine was still too weak for the car's proposal and was one of the main reasons for it's short production run.
On the other hand, the design and built quality, for that time, are absolutely fantastic. One of them is in VW's museum.
sp2-2.jpg

But isn't VW European???

Oh I see, not made in Europe. very clever!

Okay, new one!

#1: This car was meant to compete in a racing series, but never went to, because a competitor came up with an unbeatable concept that revolutionized the series.
#2: There were 4 different versions of this car.

The unbeatable concept that revolutionised the series sounds very much like the Audi Quattro, but I cannot remember any competitors that were withdrawn because of its apperance.

Mercedes Benz......something. They were building an SLE (I think) for rally purposes but after Walter Rohrl said they would be lucky to be top 10 the project was canned.

Edit: It was the 500SLC

Hmmm.....bugger. Quattro revolutionised rally mainly, but also competed in Trans-Am series and the DTM series. I really only know the rally side of things though......so I am now a bit stumped.

BMW M1?

BMW M1 was created before the quattro :)

How bout Lancia Stratos then?

So we are talking about a rally car then?? Just not the 500SLC??

i think he's talking about anything but a rally car