The DMotor Subtitle Project [Check first post for links]

Thank you guys! Really impressive all the work from you! I've got no words!!!

Jeez... I really need to learn German!!!

Really thanks... Now it's way more cool to see the images and understand what they say!

8)

Work has started on Episode 36.

Any more feedback about the episode 35 sub?

Well, I've already seen the episode with the subtitles. It seems pretty good on the level of timing... Though on the german translation I'm suspect because I can't understand a piece of it! For me the subtitles are great, with good english and very comprehensive!
Thanks for it and congratulations! :) Keep on the good work please! ;)

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! :wub: <3 :cheers:

Watching now with subs. Finally I can check out this show. And might I add that you guys picked an EXCELLENT episode to start with :thumbup:

Thank you!

Edit: The timing is awesome. The subs are left up long enough I can actually read them. To many anime subbers change the text so fast I have to pause the show to read them. EXCELLENT job folks, please keep it up.

Last edited:
Oh yeah.... I really want subtitles for the show...

I'd like to help on but the only words I know in German are: ya!, danke, guntag, knockwurst and Nordschleife! I really need to get some lessons of German!
...and who brings out german Subs for the TG/FG Episodes?

I mean, good idea, but it would be better to learn german. Th following is not meant to offend everyone who is english speaking, but= The whole Earth has to learn English, but the english people don't have to learn other Languages? This is not fair. This is why I will NOT support this idea until someone creates german subs for the english Series (this won't happen now/in the near future).

Lesson 1=
  • ya!= Ja (yes)
  • danke was correct for= thanks / thank you
  • guntag= Guten Tag (Hello / Have a nice day)
  • knockwurst= Knackwurst (crunchy sausage 1by1, don't know a real desc.)
  • Nordschleife is a name itself and correct. It's the well-known part of the -ATTENTION- N?rburgring. Notice the ?.
We germans have ? ? ? and also ?. If your Keyboard doesn't support these, feel free to write ae oe or ue and also ss (in Germany, we say "scharfes S" or "eszett" which means sharp S). This is used in some particular words and combines two S depending on which word it's been filled in. The spelling gets a bit more aggressive by losing it's natural softness.

As reasonable as it is to expect everyone to learn the Muttersprache, especially in light of our not so secret plot to conquer the world with automobile technology (see Otto., Diesel-, Wankel-engine) and infallible sense of no humor, I welcome a common language to communicate with others.

If you desperately want a German subtitles for Top Gear, why don't you create some yourself like this project does for DMOTOR. With the Chinese/English TG subs you'd even have a good basis in pre-timed format.

Back to topic. Hartkor and kitty1943 have volunteered their translation services, so once they are housebroken (kitty especially), I hope to improve on the 1 episode per week schedule and attack old episodes. If any native speaker wants to volunteer his services for proof reading don't hesitate to pm me.

I mean, good idea, but it would be better to learn german. Th following is not meant to offend everyone who is english speaking, but= The whole Earth has to learn English

If a German show is subbed in English the whole world can watch it, not just the English only speakers of Aus and the US.

I see your point but it makes more sense to sub in english, as doing it in nearly any other language would require multiple subtitle projects.

It may not seem fair, alufelge, but it's reality. Sometimes one has to play the hand one is dealt, rather than try to turn the tide. Most Germans already speak English, not so many English speakers speak German. I took German for 4 years in high school, so I can feel your pain somewhat...=)

One thing i noticed when extracting the "VSFilter.dll" is that it for some reason worked when i clicked and dragged it, but didnt work when i used WinRARs "extract" and told it to go to windows/system32 or whatever it is. Probably my fault, just thought that might help another computer illiterate like myself, Good Luck!

It may not seem fair, alufelge, but it's reality. Sometimes one has to play the hand one is dealt, rather than try to turn the tide. Most Germans already speak English, not so many English speakers speak German. I took German for 4 years in high school, so I can feel your pain somewhat...=)

Well i've heard that a few centuries ago the international norm was French, so its not like other languages wont get a chance as the tide of time washes away what we see as the norm

Last edited:
has anyone got a link to the episode, i got the subs for ep 35 but not the actuall video it's self

EDIT: got it from 95's FTP

Last edited:

I mean, good idea, but it would be better to learn german. Th following is not meant to offend everyone who is english speaking, but= The whole Earth has to learn English, but the english people don't have to learn other Languages? This is not fair. This is why I will NOT support this idea until someone creates german subs for the english Series (this won't happen now/in the near future).

:boohoo: It's a little phenomenon called Lingua Franca....German already had it's chance. So please step off your pedestal, bitte.

Hello, I could help translating. I tried me at episode 24 or so, but in .srt and not in .ass, like the "My Family" subtitles.
It works in every simple player and is very, very easy to use. Wikipedia - srt

The one from 95's FTP is OK. Were you guys that did it? If so, let me thank you for it. One of the best things doing subs is good,decent, constructive feedback. And here is mine.
BTW, I liked the show a lot. At first glance it positioned in my head below Top Gear and upwards Fifth Gear. I'd like to see other episodes to check the truth of my thoughts. But that only happens if we have english subtitles! Or if I learn to speak German! :lol:

I know this may sound time consuming, but it would help to understand the emotion of the drivers much better if you made lightly shorter lines, and sychronized them with the speech.

It would make listening to the voices and trying to comprehend the true emotion much easier

Otherwise i thought the show was pretty good! Thanks for all your hard work!

I know this may sound time consuming, but it would help to understand the emotion of the drivers much better if you made lightly shorter lines, and sychronized them with the speech.

It would make listening to the voices and trying to comprehend the true emotion much easier

Zee Germans have no emotion! In all seriousness, I'm plenty happy with just having a basic idea of what they are saying about the car.

The subs could be "he likes the car, but it understeers" and "cobra = less traction than Turbo porsche" etc...

quick stupid question.

i dled the subtitle file, but where can i get the actual video??

- edit : updated, i found it on isohunt, is that the same file? i dont want to have timing problem beacuse of dling the wrong video. (DMotor 35 - 03-09-2007.x264.avi)

Hello, I could help translating. I tried me at episode 24 or so, but in .srt and not in .ass, like the "My Family" subtitles.
It works in every simple player and is very, very easy to use. Wikipedia - srt

I am not really an expert on what format is best, as I understand it .ass offers more advanced features and is (one of) the most popular, maybe Kekeke can enlighten us about why exactly we chose it. Either way, freeware programs like Subtitle Workshop can convert the formats within seconds.

Episode 36 will use shorter and more lines, don't know how my synching skill compare (this is my first try at timing). The problem is that the hosts use a lot of euphemisms which don't translate too well (especiallly not having native speakers on the team).

quick stupid question.

i dled the subtitle file, but where can i get the actual video??

- edit : updated, i found it on isohunt, is that the same file? i dont want to have timing problem beacuse of dling the wrong video. (DMotor 35 - 03-09-2007.x264.avi)

Afaik there is only 1 individual producing the TV-rips, which are the ones we use for the subs. I seen them at the usual suspects like Mininova and other torrent sites and 95's FTP.

great job!!! I understood about 1/4 of what they were saying, so I can actually learn german from this.. and it is quite a good series, the R8 vs RS4 was awesome!