Question about cars with high seats, for European market

xavier86

I have a very old grandmother who rides in my car a lot and I currently have a sedan which has low seats which makes it hard for her to get in and out. I'm in the market to buy a new car and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a decent car with high seats, as high as a RAV4 for example, but also has good fuel efficiency unlike many SUVs. I'm buying in the European market.

what.. so you are buying a car purely based on the height of the seat??

why dont you get a car with an adjustable seat?? there are plenty of cars out there where you can raise the seat up, in fact, most cars now a days should all come with height adjustable seats

What about the Peugeot 1007, should be perfect for old people.

peugeot-1007-04.jpg

If you want the high position of a SUV but with good fuel economy, you're looking for a minivan: a Renault Scenic, an Opel/Vauxhall Zafira, a Ford C-Max... Buy it with a Diesel engine and you have your car. In fact, a friend of mine had a similar problem with his mother and he bought a Renault Scenic. So far he seems happy with it.

What about normal small cars with high driving positions?

The Suzuki SX4 or the Fiat Panda come to mind.

If you want the high position of a SUV but with good fuel economy, you're looking for a minivan: a Renault Scenic, an Opel/Vauxhall Zafira, a Ford C-Max... Buy it with a Diesel engine and you have your car. In fact, a friend of mine had a similar problem with his mother and he bought a Renault Scenic. So far he seems happy with it.

A minivan (MPV) is the way to go. Most are tall with low floors so getting in and out is a breeze. A price range would be helpful though.

you might consider the Dacia Logan, it's very cheap, well it's actually a saloon but it has very very high seats, it isn't sporty it's quite confortable and it looks ok ... as tg man jeremy clarkson and richard hammond said on tv some time ago ... so shloud be a prefect choice :p

wouldn't a rav 4 be far far worse because you have to climb up?

Climb up? It's not like the RAV4 is a H2. Getting into it is as easy as eating muffins.

Renault Kangoo?

you might consider the Dacia Logan, it's very cheap, well it's actually a saloon but it has very very high seats, it isn't sporty it's quite confortable and it looks ok ... as tg man jeremy clarkson and richard hammond said on tv some time ago ... so shloud be a prefect choice :p

Are you mad? It's a Romanian Lada!

What you want is one of these. :mrgreen:

1982cadillacfleetwoodbrougham.jpg

Honda Jazz (or FIT)
Renault Scenic

Get her a S-Max!!

for an old person it would be quite high

Well you see I brought her from America to Cyprus because she will have a better life here. In America, the taxi service had a Ford Escape which I believe is similar to a RAV4. The seat height was perfect, she didn't have to bend her knees or anything. Yes she is very very old and frail.

Mercedes A or B Class ... first choice.

the Opel/Vauxhall Meriva has a slightly higher driving position, too. So does the VW Caddy (slightly, really).

And last and least the Smart 4for2 ... but try it out and take the cars on a testdrive to your Granny and let her try.

But the A or B Class would be perfect, i?d guess.

Last edited:
for an old person it would be quite high
My mother has a very bad back, she had no problem whatsoever. And my grandmother loved the ease with which she could get into it. Really, if you grandmother is able to get up and down the step in front of her house to get the mail, she will have no problem getting into a RAV4.