The Melbourne Meetup Thread - 14th of October > Yarra Valley and the Spurs

See, now that's where only having 88kw (well, 88kw 21 years ago...) helps - it's all in the bends, not the straights (says he, knowing full well a decent modern hot hatch would out-corner the MR2).

The integra shouldn't do too badly either ;)

G'day eddy i am in glen waverly so add me to the list of people meeting from the eastern suburbs, i'll cya there at 9:15

See, now that's where only having 88kw (well, 88kw 21 years ago...) helps - it's all in the bends, not the straights (says he, knowing full well a decent modern hot hatch would out-corner the MR2).

well it is better than mine, i have basically the same car in reverse (twin cam corolla)

The road between Marysville and Warburton is utter magic. Can't wait.

word to that... I enjoyed it so much more than the Black Spur, only thing I didn't like was the amount of branches and leaves on the road.

me watches as all of FG is booked for speeding....

;)

Just a note to that... to be on the safe side, for spirited drivers, I would suggest that you only do your spirited driving on the Reefton Spur (Marysville and Warburton) and the road between Kinglake and Healsville, I would not suggest going full on in the Black Spur and the main roads (cops are just everywhere there).

Plus with the number of bends on the reefton spur, I wouldn't think a police has sufficient time and distance to do a proper radar reading.

you don't need any power to go fast from Marysville to Waburton, considering this time we're doing it downhill instead of up :D... and to give you some ego, as I said, went up with a CRX + Prelude Australia run and lets just say, on the main roads, the Preludes were pretty damn fast, but on the Spur's, the CRX's simply dissapeared :p

Hello! New member here! Nice to meet you all!
Have been viewing the main site for a long time now but only just joined. Saw the cruise details posted up on another forum (OzRS) and very interested.

I'm in Knoxfield and can meet up at the Eastern premeet. :)
Driving a Renault Megane.

Derrick... I'm not very keen on the part that this cruise was posted on another forum, obviously the more cars the better but I thought it was a strictly FG meet? Do you know who posted it?

If you break any speed limits, and you shouldn't consider it on this road, it will be because you've fallen off the edge.

What is the speed limit on the reefton spur anyway?

Finally, anyone else planning to join us at the Western Suburbs pre-meet?

88kw??? Thats still eats up my 79kw Lancer .... 1.5L ftw!!!1!!one!1

:lol: Though my kws are 20 years old, so they've aged a bit.

Derrick... I'm not very keen on the part that this cruise was posted on another forum, obviously the more cars the better but I thought it was a strictly FG meet? Do you know who posted it?

Agreed - IMHO this is a FG only meet - the reason I'm going is to meet other FG members (particularly those that I know well), not ring-ins from other sites. Frankly, if it turns into something big with FGers being in the minority, I'd be unlikely to go.

the road between Kinglake and Healsville, I would not suggest going full on in the Black Spur and the main roads (cops are just everywhere there).

So the cop can't get us all, just one of us would be having a bad day. Most likely be a P plater.

:lol: Though my kws are 20 years old, so they've aged a bit.

Agreed - IMHO this is a FG only meet - the reason I'm going is to meet other FG members (particularly those that I know well), not ring-ins from other sites. Frankly, if it turns into something big with FGers being in the minority, I'd be unlikely to go.

<3 fbc, we know you secretly lust to meet me <_<

considering he is the P Plater in a Falcon/Commodore, I guess he automatically becomes the bait:lol:.. but eddysdaman, you're the next one on the cops list with that Lancer :p

Speakin' of which, you can probably take me off the unconfirmed list since I've kinda organised a pre-meet and all :p

My bad chieftian, I didn't look closely and assumed you were already on the list! :bangin:

:lol: You guys crack me up! Anything with a loud exhaust is a bait car! :p

I'm not going to set any landspeed or timing records for the cruise. Havent had my Astra for very long so I'll be exploring her handling abilities and giving her a nice "varied" run.

When you get a large group together, the word gets around pretty quickly with the fuzz and soon we'll be seeing them quite often along our way.

Hello! New member here! Nice to meet you all!
Have been viewing the main site for a long time now but only just joined. Saw the cruise details posted up on another forum (OzRS) and very interested.

I'm in Knoxfield and can meet up at the Eastern premeet. :)
Driving a Renault Megane.

I'm with andy here, whoever is responsible for putting this up on other sites please take it down. I don't want to say non-FGers are not welcome, if you want to bring a friend or 2 fine, but this is an FG meet day. most of us have been talking on here for years and have never met. That's the point of this cruise, it's not meant to be the biggest gathering of petrol heads in the southern hemisphere although I am absolutely wrapped with the response so far.

BTW johnr's right, if you break the speed limits on these roads, it's more likely that it'll be gravity responsible, not your engine.

I'm in Mitcham, a few minutes away from the eastern meet point.. so hopefully I can wake up early enough to see you guys there at 9:15 :p

^set your alarm clock, I'm not used to waking up so early on Sundays as well :p, but for this... I don't mind, you'll have a great day... and just curious, what car do you drive?

Out of interest, do we have anyone who's interested in photographing the day confirmed?

^^you can easily get 2 way radio's at places like Jaycar, Dicksmith.... etc, I got mine for JayCar for about 36 or 39 or somewhere along those lines... I live opposite one JayCar so if anyone is interested, I could get one and you pay me back/bank transfer on the cruise... if I can get 2 buyers, I believe it was like 60 for 2.

Sorry bout the late response but i had to check my finances, if u can get me one of those radios i would be bloody thankful, i will bring the money along to the cruise

thanks
-crimson

^np... and btw, you have to bring you're own batt, the unit didn't come with batteries (4x AAA)... just double checked the prices on Jaycar, it'll cost $34.95. I'll wait till a day or 2 before the cruise to buy one as if I can get another buyer, you'll only pay $29.95 each for a CB (Which is really cheap).

and flyingfridge, I believe this guy who was a professional has volunteered, I can't remember his username, all I know is he drives a polo GTI
EDIT: Our Photographer seems to be JohnR :D