2007 Japanese Formula 1 Grand Prix

Yeah, smart move by him...

Basically he was trying to force Alonso into overtaking him behind a SC car. I enjoyed that.

I enjoyed the "go on then dickhead, try it" of it too. Alonso started by getting right alongside, not in-front, but right alongside ready to take every advantage and piss Lewis off, and Hamilton just didn't give an inch and started backing Alonso right up.

I'm not sure if he was doing anything on purpose because it was Alonso. He was doing the same in the second SC period as well.

He was doing it because he didn't want to be on the back foot when the green flag went...especially with Alonso...

Hamilton's driving to be investigated

Lewis Hamilton is facing a stewards' investigation into his driving while under the safety car in the Japanese Grand Prix.

The officials are understood to be considering whether Hamilton could have contributed to the collision between Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel that took the duo out of second and third places during the second caution period at Fuji.

"New evidence has been brought to the stewards attention and they are currently investigating the matter," an FIA spokesman told autosport.com.

Vettel said at the time that he had hit Webber while distracted by Hamilton slowing unexpectedly.

?I was exiting turn 13 and looking at Lewis, because all of a sudden he seemed to slow down really much and I thought he had a problem at that stage," Vettel told ITV Sport's Louise Goodman in Japan.

?And by the time I was looking back to the front I was already crashing into Mark?s rear end.?

In today's pre-race press conference at Fuji, Webber - who had originally pinned the blame for the crash firmly on Vettel - also suggested that Hamilton had not been accelerating and braking unexpectedly behind the safety car.

"It definitely contributed to Sebastian hitting me up the back because he wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing, clearly," Webber said.

However after winning at Fuji, Hamilton said it had been necessary to brake sharply because of the braking material McLaren had been using - and suggested it was Webber whose driving had been erratic.

"We just needed to keep the heat in the brakes," he said.

"I was running quite a hard compound of brakes, so if I did light braking, I would have glazed the brakes.

"So I was making sure there was a little bit of a gap, maximising the gap that you're allowed, and use it to my benefit.

"It was tough because Mark behind me was just too close, and all of a sudden he braked really hard and I don't know what happened ? someone ran into him.

"I was constantly on the radio to my engineers to tell the Red Bull team to get Mark to make a little more of a gap because I couldn't go any faster because the pace car was in front of me, so I was trying to keep the distance with him and then I'd move over because I couldn't see Mark and then he'd just appear alongside me, so he kept out-braking himself.

"I felt something was going to happen, and I guess my instincts told me right."

Source

The McLaren witch hunt continues...

If Mark or Sebastian can't adapt to a car ahead slowing down and speeding up they shouldn't be racing drivers. They shouldn't be allowed to drive road cars. The 5 car lengths rule has to go out the window with conditions like Fuji.

Maybe Webber and Vettel are looking to get picked up by Ferrari by following their moaning policies.

If Mark or Sebastian can't adapt to a car ahead slowing down and speeding up they shouldn't be racing drivers. They shouldn't be allowed to drive road cars. The 5 car lengths rule has to go out the window with conditions like Fuji.

Maybe Webber and Vettel are looking to get picked up by Ferrari by following their moaning policies.
Errrrr....
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8hWIfBkVQUk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
love the 'AWWWW' cry by the guy who took the footage. Still, it proves that Hamilton was nowhere near Webber when the incident happened. It was Vettel's fault 100%.

What the bloody hell was Hamilton doing???!!!! That is the strangest bit of footage ever. He was miles and miles ahead of Webber.....then like Webber/Vettel said, he has pulled completely over to the right for no apparent reason??

Thats not gamesmanship, thats just wankerism

^ Yeah, Hamilton was extremely wide and just slowed.

Can't watch the youtube video from here but it's not the leaders responsibility to pre-empt when the people behind are and aren't paying attention. If Webber was past Hamilton, who's fault is that? You follow the car in front. If it slows down you slow down.

After seeing that footage Hamilton surely did play a role in the Webber/Vettel crash, he was pretty much brake testing Webber, which I believe is a no no.

Be interesting to see what happens...although I think it's a bit late to be investigating now, it should've been investigated straight after the race, if not during.

I don't really see a problem with Hamilton slowing down - we've seen it before in F1 from various drivers. Ultimately, Vettel needs to take most of the blame. After all, the rest of the field managed to avoid ploughing into each other.

Q: (Ann Giuntini - L?Equipe) To Mark and Sebastian: without any desire to get into politics, would you say that Hamilton?s manoeuvres in the last race were not very far from being unfair or not under the agreement you generally have?

MW: I think he did a shit job behind the safety car. He did a shit job and that?s it. He spoke in the drivers? briefing about how good a job he was going to do and then he did the job the opposite way, so we know for next time, it?s no problem.

hahahaha!! Has Mark Webber's tourette syndrome resurfaced?

For some reason I cannot access pages 7 & 8 of this thread, so hopefully this isn't a repost...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/7027743.stm

From what I could tell on the TV broadcast all of the drivers were doing a lot of side to side, hard accelerating and hard breaking. I think they were doing whatever they could to keep what little heat they had in the tires.

As much as I want to like Webber, and felt bad for him, I feel like he's making excuses for getting knocked out. As a result, Vettle is jumping on the bandwaggon to save some face - note he isn't trying to obsolve himself of all responsibility of the wreck.

Also, it pains me more to see Webber say that after reading up thread that he was sick the day of and pushed through. I hope he's not just lashing out and trying to get points awarded after the fact.

Haha, Hamilton and Vettel are Webbers enemies now :lol:

Wtf was he doing there?

It seems as if it is more dangerous to drive behind hamilton when the SC is out that it is to race normally.:mrgreen:

You can't tell from the footage how fare off from the pace car Hamilton was, but it was his perogative to take the turn wide. What was Vettle doing watching him anyway? What if the car broke and he was pulling off? It's still his responsibility to watch what Webber is doing and act accordingly.

As for Webber, he may have been confused why Hamilton went wide, but why slam your breaks on - especially in those conditions? So what if you pass him, you yield to him on the straight and let him resume first place.