4wheeling?

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
Offroading, 4x4ing, Greenlaning, Mudding, Rockcrawling....

Whatever you want to call it, and in whatever form... Who does it?

I was just wondering if enyone 'wheels, and if so, what do you do it in. Stock or Modded? What mods?

Right now I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so only minor offroading for me right now... but I'm hoping to buy a better rig soon.... perhaps THIS BEASTLY MACHINE!!! I'd have to re-paint it though, that orange is horrid. :blink:

Anyways, just wondering if there are any other 4xers out there?! :cheers:

Me, though not as much as I used to, and I just sold the last rig I used to do it with.

1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, all self-built - web page listing mods here: http://www.dallasdrivers.org/spectre/vehicles/jeep/

HPIM0101.jpg

IM004014.jpg

IM004018.jpg

No, it didn't high center or rub or hang up on this mound.
IM004023.jpg

IM004024.jpg

I built that truck to be an urban assault vehicle - half off-road monster, half mall crawler - so it had to be capable offroad yet still handle and ride well on the street. I managed to accomplish most of my objectives there... but I never did get it where I really wanted it, and I sold it once I had too many problems with UAW-built parts.

I just bought my Pathfinder to replace it. Unlike the Jeep, I'm not going to lift it, but it's going to be getting modded with larger wheel and tire and skid plates. Yup, I'm building the Mark II Urban Assault Vehicle. :)

Last edited:
I do occasionally, but I'm stuck being just a passenger. I recently bought a 85 4Runner that I'm building into a mild rock crawler. It's already got about 6" in lift, high steer, flip kit, extended steel brake lines, and an upgraded radiator. I'm in the process of getting it ready for some trails, but am having trouble with ordering my wheels/tires. The plan is to have 33x12.50" swampers on 15x10" steel rims. I'm also going to replace the rear springs, rear shock mounts, and weld on rock sliders. Eventually I plan to weld on steel tubed front and rear bumpers, a steering stabilizer kit, and some electronics for the interior.

I just got back from a short 4Wheeling trip this past weekend. I feel sorry for my brother, who had major problems with his truck overheating and just spent $400 putting in a new aluminum radiator, electric fan, and a thermostat. 15 minutes after leaving his house, his heater hose blew off and we lost half our coolant, as well as, the hose clamp. We weren't able to make it home and had to call for help. After reattaching the hose and filling the radiator, we noticed a newly developed hole in the hose, which was spraying coolant. So we took off the hose and bypassed the heater core completely. Worked pretty good. Then on the way home the truck died and wouldn't start. After a while of messing around, we discovered the ground for the fuel pump came loose.

4wheeling is fun.

4wheeling is fun.
Lol that kind of thing just sounds like hot rod problems in general. My brothers got an S10 with a V8 swap that's always got issues. Fuel pump went out, thermostat, hole in the gas tank, starter quits; modding shit is fun :lmao:.

I've never owned a good off road rig JipJop, but I had a friend in high school with a truck very similar to the one you linked to, (well if the one you linked to was trashed, spray painted and cost $750). Those old fullsize GM trucks grow on trees out here, and I'm seriously considering picking one up to replace the Celica.

Used to, usually with friends. Stopped when the antics got out of control, trucks started rolling, etc...

yep I do pretty regularly.

Trucks out of action as I'm doing an engine swap to a 2.8tdi isuzu diesel from a rover V8.
fed up with the electric letting me down in deep water.

Going to bobtail and bull nose it, rear mont the radiator so I can get the front mile marker futher back and try and get 90deg aprroach front and rear.
But it's a lot of work and the weather in the UK is just crap.

At the moment it's got a detroit locker in the rear, open front :( and running really crap 235x85x16's mud terrain.

Basically I'm aiming to end up with something like this:

Also going to be picking a little suzuki sj up for my sister this weekend!!

I do it with my brother as I can't afford my own car.
Used to be in his Frontera

PA290180.JPG

Now in his Discovery

Image031.jpg

And sometimes in the old 3 Series but it is a bit dead at the moment.

P9300007.JPG

P9300008.JPG

I did some mudding in the past, but not in a long time.

http://img416.imageshack.**/img416/2625/0002260264bx.th.jpg

I used to have my own Jeep Cherokee Sport (XJ), but I had to give it up. My family has a 1993 Land Cruiser we take down to Moab and play in the dirt. No mods, but I hope to change that when I get my hands on it some day.

Nice rigs guys! I especially like that Wagoneer... I don't know why but those classic big Jeeps have always been a favorite of mine.

I used to in the '77 Chevy truck I had. Hopefully I'll have another truck in the not-too-distant future.

go for the chevy CK! I love that old boxy style and everyone knows how good a chevy small block is.......harr.......

i don't really take mine off roading much as it weighs over 7000lbs and i use it more to haul/pull stuff. not to mention it is just over a year old and don't want to tear it up just yet.....

Not quite 4 wheeling but me 2 wheeling on my dads Yamamha WR450F
vlcsnap-104973.png

And sideways 1 wheeling, I nearly lost it :lol:
vlcsnap-104578.png

WHEELSPIN!! :D
vlcsnap-105672.png

The ammount of travel on the suspension :lol:
vlcsnap-106537.png

i don't use a car either. banshee power FTW!

20060418_02643.jpg

(that's not mine, don't have any pics)

I love quads, but they're pricey. I'm paying less for my Toyota.

I love quads, but they're pricey. I'm paying less for my Toyota.

go to the boonies and pick up a cheap 2nd hand one. If it breaks the parts are like $3 usually

l_ddafba33c691dbe872e84644bcc0eacc.jpg

Most Ive ever done, that and some tanking through snow.

go to the boonies and pick up a cheap 2nd hand one. If it breaks the parts are like $3 usually

yay for america i guess

over here they aren't that cheap either
a new one costs between 8000 & 10 000?, 2nd hand going from 3000-6000
parts aren't that cheap either. there are a few things i want to do to it. but i would be 2000? poorer
first a new set of pistons, then we'll see

Last edited:
Christ, I haven't actually had the Landie offroad proper yet... Got my license then school got in the way! I've passenger'd in it all over the place, but after my exams I'm going to take it for a bit of a play on the dirt, I think.
P5230011_2.jpg

Mods are there to be seen. It's almost entirely stock.
You may note, that the winch Bracket is bent. I am not responsible for that, or any of the other dints in it, amazingly!

Anyhoo, when I do get to getting offroad, I'll post up some pics.