A question about Police cars

Wizegui

Car(s)
'93 Toyota Tercel, '01 Swagger Wagon
Normally, I don't really care for American cars. However, I do genuinely love Police cars. Nowadays, Ford is the only one in the market now (as well as Dodge). After the Caprice was taken out of production, many were somewhat upset. Some even say that the Caprice was even better than the current Crown Vic. Well, is it? If so, in what way?

011v9_chev_caprice_b.jpg

Stealth-Cruiser-SM.jpg

You forgot the Impala. As for the cruisers, my personal favorite has always been the Crown Vic. It just has that executive/government feel to it. Subtle enough to blend in and be overlooked, but once you recognize it, it becomes the most important car on the road.

Though there was talk some time ago of Ford putting the GT's V10 into the Interceptors. I wish they did.

As for the Caprice. Nice cars afaik, but too many of the "dUb" crowd like to buy off year Caprices to turn into "Capalas" (Fake versions of the Impala SS that first came out in the 90's).

The Crown Vic screams authority.

Even 80 year old men driving around in their own white Crown Vics cause fear in the hearts of many, almost makes me want one.

IIRC the cop Caprice was faster than the Crown Vic that replaced it, I don't know if a new Crown Vic will keep up with an old 9C1. But thats to be expected, the Ford having 1.1L less of an engine. Other than that I don't think you can objectively say it's a better cop car. The Caprice may have been a little cheaper to keep on the road, and easier/cheaper to modify, idk. I think most of the anger there stemmed from GM ceasing to build RWD sedans all together, not just leaving the cop car market.

Even 80 year old men driving around in their own white Crown Vics cause fear in the hearts of many, almost makes me want one.

most annoying thing ever. i don't know how many times i have seen people nearly stand on their bakes because some old dude in a navy blue or white Crown Vic is driving along the road.

In other cop car news. Back when i was selling IT equipment i was trying to work with Carbon Motors. They are trying to build a purpose built police interceptor. Pretty cool design if you ask me sort of a scary looking 300C last i spoke with them before i left the job they were in the process of moving to a new building and begining to make a working prototype.

Last edited:
I need to buy a crown vic someday and put that dashcam in it, nobody would pass me or road rage me.

You forgot the Impala.

Impala = caprice, same engine and all, just some new badges, an unimportant rear "spoiler" (tiny lip on the truck/boot), and a different interior.
Friend of mine has one, its a cool car.

The Crown Vic is scary because everybody knows, "oh shit, it's the cops!", but the Caprice definitely looks more intimidating. Why, oh why did GM have to kill it? Couldn't they have just quietly built it for another 15 years? You know, like what they do best?

We have Chargers that look like they want to eat you now. i've never seen a caprice car i dont think

seriously?

those are some of the most boring dreary looking cars I've seen in my life

Dodge_Charger_Police.jpg

how is that dreary? esp, as compared to the impala and crown vic?

Of course, they use the new Impala as a cop car now...what a piece of shit that thing is....FWD FTL

Though there was talk some time ago of Ford putting the GT's V10 into the Interceptors. I wish they did.

uh what?

the Ford GT doesnt have a V10. cant believe nobody caught this yet lol. the Ford GT comes with a supercharged 5.4L V8.

that post reminded me of this unique swap i saw a year ago. its a Triton V10 out of an Econoline being put into a retired 2nd Generation Interceptor.....
clicky

I saw a few of those Chargers in Texas about two weeks ago and they looked even meaner than that picture above. I still get leary around Crown Vic's and even the newer Impalas/ Malibus that lots of police were using for a while.

Virginia is buying all sorts of crazy cars for police work now, I saw Civics, Chargers, Jeeps, Corvettes and even a freaking Viper while I was down there!

Why do they say the Caprice was better? 3 words: Chevy Small Block.

The Chargers do look mean as a cop car, but from what I hear, the cops hate them because there's not as much room for their donut guts and all their stuff as there is in the Crown Vic.

I love the Chergers and Magnum Cop cars, but the Crown Vic is defietly the classic. Whenever I see one, I always slow down and figure out whether it's a cope before carrying on my way, usually it's pretty easy, but the West Van Police can be tough some times... they go as far as to put a "New Driver" symbol on their undercover cars sometimes.

Impala = caprice, same engine and all, just some new badges, an unimportant rear "spoiler" (tiny lip on the truck/boot), and a different interior.
Friend of mine has one, its a cool car.
Kind of. hi-po 9C1 Caprice = Impala SS. The SS was an inch lower than the 9C1, different gear ratio and cam, lacked the oil cooler iirc and had different body mounts. Asinine little crap, sorry :lol:.

uh what?

the Ford GT doesnt have a V10. cant believe nobody caught this yet lol. the Ford GT comes with a supercharged 5.4L V8.

that post reminded me of this unique swap i saw a year ago. its a Triton V10 out of an Econoline being put into a retired 2nd Generation Interceptor.....
clicky

Oops, got my engines wrong. But yeah, still, a V10 under the hood of a Crown Vic would be brutal.

Oh, and when the FHP isn't cruising in their vics, they're tearing it up with these:
PG022704.jpg

I live in a development off a very tricky, well paved, twisty road; so it's no wonder that people fly up and down it. Yesterday as I was sitting at the stop sign ready to leave my development, one of these was coming up the hill. It cam around the blind corner in front of me and the damn car was almost riding on its driver side door. The body roll on it was greater than anything I had EVER seen before, and I was driving an Escalade :lol:. There is no way in hell that body roll was stock, there must have been something wrong with the suspension (the car didn't look "taken car of"). But it was scary as all hell :blink:.

Of course, they use the new Impala as a cop car now...what a piece of shit that thing is....FWD FTL

Trust me, there are times that FWD is good. The Salt Lake City police department uses the Impala because it's a tad smaller than the Crown Victoria for city maneuvering and the FWD is an advantage for those 4-5 months of the year when it snows.