HellGate: London anyone?

Koenig

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ID0i7_N0g[/YOUTUBE]

Looks freakin' awesome. Developers being ex-Diablo people is another big plus. Can't wait for this one!

That does look pretty good, but I wonder if my system can run it even at medium graphics.

It took me 5 hrs to dl the demo.

I just played it for about an hr, it's pretty fun. I can almost max out all the settings at 1440x900 res. Indoors the framerate are fine (50-60fps), but outdoor sometimes it still drops to around 30fps. Hopefully ATi will release some optimized drivers for this once the full game is release. Graphic wise is pretty good imo, it doesn't have HDR, so the color is not as good as Crysis, but the details are not bad.

I'm kinda stuck though, I talk to all the npc that I can talk to and did what they ask. But where do I need to go to find this DR. Fawks? Or is this the end of the demo? Anyone got past this part please help. Thanks.

One more question, how to I switch to first person mode, is that only available on the full game?

wow that looks pretty hot. Sadly i will have to wait until i do a system overhaul as my current system would bork if i even thought about installing it.

Some screenshots. :D
http://img88.imageshack.**/img88/6210/snap1qm7.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.**/img88/5191/snap2bx8.jpg
http://img296.imageshack.**/img296/1007/snap7kt8.jpg

This game really turned me off when they announced the free/pay split. I hate paying for games once I buy them, plus it looks even worse when I'm still hooked on Orange Box/TF2 :p

One of my friends called it Yawngate: London after playing the demo :lol:

Haven't tried it myself though.

Well, the monsters are really easy in the demo, but I'm sure once you earn more skills and get better weapons they'll get harder. This game is like a 3D version of Diablo II, so if you like D II you might like it.

The $10/month fee really sucks, and the game is expensive ($50) to begin with. I'm probably just going to acquire this and play on private servers or play with friends through lan games.

I am in the beta, have been for few days. Can't say much because of the NDA, but the game is a lot like Diablo 2. The demo really doesn't give the proper image of the game, it gets much better after a while, when you start to get better skills, equipment and the enemies get tougher.
Also the monthly fee is not mandatory, it just gives you some additional content. It might turn out that it is de facto mandatory in the end tough. I don't think you can do your own servers in it either, the game is played on a large master servers like MMOs. Only difference is that only in stations (cities) you can see everybody else, in the dungeons you can only see yourself (and your party if you have one).

Well, if the game is popular enough I'm sure someone will figure out how to do a private server, just like RO and WOW. Can you tell me if there's any pre-rendered cutscene (or pre-arranged but real time rendered scenes)? In the demo the NPCs can only say one or two phrases, and there's not much interactions with them. It would've been pretty cool if they re-done the trailers' scenes where your character sees it in first person aspect.

my brother is in the beta and says it's totally shithouse and can't understand why people think it's even worth 10 minutes

Can you tell me if there's any pre-rendered cutscene (or pre-arranged but real time rendered scenes)? In the demo the NPCs can only say one or two phrases, and there's not much interactions with them. It would've been pretty cool if they re-done the trailers' scenes where your character sees it in first person aspect.
Haven't seen one yet. I don't know if there are any later in the game in the beta. But I think there are going to be some in the retail version.

It's a controvercial game. It looks good, runs smooth on any 2-3y/o performance videocard. It's interesting to play, it has Diablo feeling in it & a good humour, but there are a few problems:

1. To really compete with modern games's gfx, you gotta play it on Dx10, so it looks a lil better, than on dx9. But then you need Vista & it's a huge pain in the...
2. The game (beta & demo) has almost NO character vioce acting, random phrases mostly.
3. 90% of all the playable zones are pretty small and/or narrow. Game lacks some huge fields, streets, areas etc.
4. If you are interested in realism there isn't much to go by. Weapon recoil is almost not there, movements are kinda creepy, characters are not really connected to the terrain.
5. It needs more class abilities & loot balance. No idea about the final version, but the beta atm has quite a lot of bugs. You can even spot 3-5 in the demo.
6. Animations are quilte boring & look too simple. When you're playin' a "Kill 1000 zombies for a Meat Factory with a Minigun" game, you want some mad & dangerously beautiful effects.
7, Physics are "strange". There's a lot of rebound (ricochet) from the walls. You can just find the proper angle & kill the Boss guy by shooting in the wall. All the rebound bullets will hit the same spot.
8. That 10$ Fee sounds like a Ripoff. It's becoming a very popular formula. Don't pay, but you'll never hit the max level, or it will take 5 years, or you will never find some X quality items, won't be able to get the latest addons & so on.

Now gettin back to the GOOD stuff.

- All the RPG elements are there & properly distributed.
- Nothing is overcomplicated. There aren't any 100 different stats list for you to chose from. Simple 4 stat system, simple skill tree, very Diablo-like.
- Interface is very easy & functional, which is very rare in modern games, espec. MMORPGs with 1000 addons & 10 different windows.
- Multiplayer is very interesting & challengin'.

I really agree with points 2,3 and especially 8. They show off such good graphics and animation in the trailers, and yet there's no cutscenes and the characters just says one or two lines in the demo. That's really disappointing. I think the playable area is too small too (at least in the demo). The playable area is no bigger than a PS2 game's playable area. Hopefully the full game's playable area is larger. And point 8, the game is $50 already, AND they want to charge $10 a month for online play? No thanks, I'm going to wait for a scene release and private servers.

AND they want to charge $10 a month for online play? No thanks, I'm going to wait for a scene release and private servers.
No no. Online playing is free. The monthly fee just buys you additional stuff, like new quests and items and some other features that I can't remember.

Here is the list of extra stuff you get by paying the monthly fee:
- You can find and lead guilds
- New content monthly and a big new expansion every 3 months (new quests, items, ...)
- 24h Support
- More character slots (12 slots vs 3 slots)
- Hardcore mode, PVP
- No server queues
- Higher character levels

So yeah, the fee is mandatory if you really want to enjoy this game.

Last edited:
I'm in the beta. It's terrific.

It's pretty polished. The action is fast. The graphics are stunning.

Get ready to buy it on the 31st.

-Des!

Just acquired the game and playing the single player mode, have a few questions.

Is there anyway to just sell part of the stack of tech parts or scrap metals?
Is it worth it to save up to add legendary attributes to weapons?
I'm thinking of using an eletric gun as my main upgrade focus, are there any bosses that are immune to electric later on?
In the Sole Survivor mission I need to speak with Templar Austen, where do I need to go to do that?

Thanks.