Who takes their car to the track?

Who takes their car to the track?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My god, what else do you want to hear? It is not that I started driving yesterday and I don't have to jump off a cliff to know that I don't like it.

And anyway - having the Nurburgring nearby and a car perfectly suited for it - drag racing would be for me like having a Veyron and using it for picking up the daily newspaper at the shop round the corner.

Again, this is my personal opinion. I like driving at the limit in corners, other people like optimizing their car for best acceleration and driving it on the drag strip. So what?

Both cars have been down tracks :D

I've taken the STI around Streets of Willow @ Willow Springs, and most likely an SCCA event next year. I've also taken it 1/4 mile at two different tracks here in Iowa.

Mustang has only been down the 1/4 mile, pretty much becoming my track car.

Last edited:
the slow technical corner or that long straight where you really get to wring it out and you get the big speed?

Really depends on the car, the slowest corner at Grattan raceway is easily my favorite, but its more then just technical, its also exciting for some reason. Very Dynamic being it offers many different line choices and its also downhill/off-camber :D

With that said, i always found the straights to be relaxing, even in a fast car, so i suppose it depends on which the car likes really.

I'm just saying this because it sounded like a loaded question.

With all that said i actually think Drag Racing should be included. Yeah there are tons of pretentious "my penis is bigger then yours" 20 somethings at the drag-strip, but there are also genuinely nice people mixed in there. I think what i like least about drag racing is the people who think cornering is no fun, and who have never given it a serious try.

I've been autocrossing as much as I can these last couple years. During the summer its like every other week I do maybe two. I've been wanting to do a track day but they are much more expensive and a lot farther away. I will do some, I just haven't yet.

My god, what else do you want to hear? It is not that I started driving yesterday and I don't have to jump off a cliff to know that I don't like it.

And anyway - having the Nurburgring nearby and a car perfectly suited for it - drag racing would be for me like having a Veyron and using it for picking up the daily newspaper at the shop round the corner.

Again, this is my personal opinion. I like driving at the limit in corners, other people like optimizing their car for best acceleration and driving it on the drag strip. So what?

its called "don't knock it until you try it".

Unfortunately my Celica would probably just burst into flames if I tried to take it around the course at Heartland Park. It might manage it if I completely overhauled the suspension, got some decent tires and at least some good brake fluid. I would still worry about the engine though. The only track racing I've ever done was in an '85 Camaro that I used to own, and that was a lot of fun. The dragstrip can definitely attract some pricks (but then again so can a road course). I was lucky to have several good friends with me when I went, and I think that can make just about anything a good time.

i had plans to take mine out to easterncreek for a 1/4 mile run, but due to loss of licence that hasnt happend. im interested to see what i can get out of it becuase i have heard of a few people pulling 12.9's with a standard turbo.

Just as a point of reference, today I saw some people having fun in the following "not very tracklike" cars:

* a two generation-old Honda Civic Coupe
* an early 1990's Toyota Celica GT
* A mid-1980's Volvo 240 Turbo coupe
* a late model Nissan Altima (although I've got to say, nothing says "I'm driving Mommy's car" more than a teenager in a 3.5L Altima!)

As long as your car is safe to drive (and if it's not...why do you have it on public roads where you could hurt others?), you can have a blast at the track.

Steve

My mustang LX is a V6 with NO MODS whatsoever except fuzzy dice in the mirror.

It's even a 5-speed manual, that's how basic it is. I think I'm going to track it next spring as a bench mark and then decide to either mod it or unload it and get a better starting point, like a V8 or even something Japanese like a Silvia.

My goal is to eventually build a nice, cheap and sturdy track car that won't constantly be leaking fluids every time I push it.

I know Mustangs have good aftermarket support and to be honest and I know I can get some sway bars, struts / springs and brakes for cheap on this car - maybe some subframe connectors if I'm really arsed to worry about stiffening the chassis.

I think my driving skill is at a point where I can not really take advantage of advance mods or a huge jump in HP and I find most people who think different are delusional. The good side of that is that you can have tons of fun in slow cars, the bad side is well, you have a slow car.

Last edited:
Samir,

I think you are spot on. In many ways, you will learn more driving slower cars. Spinning a V6 Mustang at 40mph in a corner is going to be a lot less spectacular than spinning an expensive exotic going two or three times faster.

Something else to think about, depending upon your interests, would be junior formula car (500/1000/Ford/Continental/etc) which would be faster than any Silvia is likely to be without getting into the six figure range.

Steve

Properly maintained, any car will cop as much thrashing as you can give it.

I drive a 1450kg 4 door saloon with almost 300,000k's on it and that has never failed me once despite seeing about 400 laps (so far) of my local track.

How much does it cost you guys to take your cars to a nearby track? I'm talking in terms of tires and maintenance.

How much does it cost you guys to take your cars to a nearby track? I'm talking in terms of tires and maintenance.

Crap tires won't hurt themselves that bad, otherwise nothing will really wear so long as your car is actually in good shape. Maybe do a Oil change before hand if you can. The events themselves are usually $130 U.S.D. around here. Or you can do what i do and kiss-ass till you become one of the workers, spend your time not running they event when your not driving, and save yourself $130. As a bonus you also get to wield a Microphone and yell at everybody in the pits.

The worst ive done is use up a set of 20,000 mile tires in about 10,000. But i was tracking every other week, and i wasn't that nice to the tires really ever, feel free to ask the Pittsfield township police :coplight:. I have respect for them for giving me essentially a noise violation rather then a rather huge 6 point reckless driving ticket.

Last edited:
Typical costs for a track day down here is about $200 for the track time.

As a beginner you'll actually be easier on tires and brakes and probably (assuming you started with fresh tires and brakes) 6-8 track days out them, maybe more.

As I mentioned you really should get an SA rated helmet, but if you have a recent (Snell 2000) M helmet onhand, most places will let you use that.

If the track costs are daunting, I'd suggest mailing/calling the organizations putting on the event and seeing if you can trade work for track time. They might be willing to do that -- let you work signups or checking cars on pre-grid (to make sure everyone's in the right group) in exchange for reduced track fees.

Most every group I've been for track days are fun automotive enthusiasts that will do what they can to get other enthusiasts out on the track.

Steve

I try to road race 1-3 times per year, and autocross 10-15 times a year. Whichever car I feel like.

Pocono is closest (90 minutes) so I go there most often; I've been to Lime Rock, I love it because it's short and quirky (I could spend years mastering it), the problem is it's a 5-6 hour drive.

I want to work in some other tracks within driving distance over the next couple years -- Watkins Glen, VIR, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio... I also want to do a few Skip Barber-type classes and maybe that will get me to places like Laguna Seca.

I say "try" because in the last 2 years I've been so busy and exhausted from work that I haven't raced at all. The dirty secret for track days is it requires you to get up vuuuury early.

I need a new job that doesn't interfere with my racing! Working on it...

EDIT: My $.02 on drag racing. That was the first thing I tried. It is exciting, the first time you do it. But really, beyond finding out how fast your car *really* is, I got bored quickly and moved on to autocross. OK, you play with tire pressure and put ice bags on your manifold, and debate about where to drop the clutch and when you shift and if you can hold it in 3rd, but I don't get much excitement out of it especially beyond the time trial level. Plus, while it's cheap, it's maybe three minutes of adrenaline per pass (staging, burnouts, pass, etc.) and an hour of waiting in the pits. Whereas track days on a road course are 10 times more expensive, but give you about 50 times the seat time adrenaline. And, oh yeah, involve the steering wheel and the brake pedal.

My average night drag racing at Englishtown: Show up at 6:00 pm for tech inspection. On a good night, wait 45 minutes in the pits fiddling with your car and checking out other cars. Your line gets called up for staging. A few minutes of excitement and one pass. Back to the pits. Repeat. And pray nobody spews oil on the track, which stops everybody cold for an hour while they clean up. On a good night, you can get 4-5 runs.

My average day autocrossing: Get up at 5:00 am, show up (Englishtown or Giants Stadium) around 7:00 for registration, tech inspection, drivers' meeting, and walk the course. The day is split into 4 "heats", you drive during 2, work the course during 1, and you're off for 1. When you drive, you're on the course with 2 or 3 other cars spread out, for a minute or two of seat time. You get 3 or 4 runs per heat, in between you stand around in the pits, watching other drivers or looking at cars. It usually takes around 90 minutes per heat. When you work, you stand in the middle of a parking lot with your head on a swivel for oncoming cars, running after knocked-down cones and seeing if anybody went off course. By around 5:00 it's time to break down the course and head home, exhausted.

My average day road racing: get up at 5:00 am (or drive there the night before), show up for tech inspection and drivers meetings. Heats are divided up by driver skill, you spend 40 minutes or so on the track (if nothing breaks), with other drivers, and then you're off for one or more heats licking your wounds, watching other drivers, and checking out the cars. You can get in 3-6 heats, so you get the most seat time here, justifying the expense. By the end of the day you've taken a pounding, the car's taken a pounding, and assuming your car still moves it drives itself home somehow.

One thing I don't like about road racing: much like the big boys in American LeMans, they allow different types of cars on the track at the same time -- I don't like it when they put street cars out there with bug eyed sprites and open wheeled lightweights, it's asking for trouble. And I don't like the high horsepower pure race cars on the track with street cars at the same time either, they're going to run rings around a street car so you're always being cautious around them and worrying about THEIR circuit not your own.

Last edited:
I don't think my truck would really fit in on a track, unless it was towing away all the wrecks :lol:

I don't think my truck would really fit in on a track, unless it was towing away all the wrecks :lol:

^ That's the right attitude. I have to say it upsets me to see all these "sport trucks" like the Cayenne and Grand Cherokee SRT-8. I've seen the Cayenne in both Autocross and Road Race environments and while I'm impressed it doesn't roll over in a ditch, I don't quite get the point of a 6000 lb top heavy SUV that can no longer offroad doing what a moderate performance car can do. I mean, great, you made a pig fly, congratulations I guess.

I've never been to a track day, but I'd love to someday. I would obviously need a better car for the job, my Nissan just wouldn't cut it at the track. It would need at least suspension and brake work not to make a fool of me. :p

And yes, before anyone asks, I paid for it. Not my first choice, but when you're a teenager in need of a decent car with some go, it's about the best you can get. ;)

I should take my glorious 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager around with the whopping 3.3L Powertech V6, what a beauty!