HERE IT IS!! Nissan GT-R embargo broken by MotorTrend!

The best photo I have seen of the car so far is of the engine compartment.

The GTR's main competitor will be the Z06, and I think it'll be a bit faster on the track then the Vette.

You sure? By the specs you posted it seems that the Z06 has more power and weighs quite a bit less.

I think this will be the better car to live with everyday. A couple of years ago, people used to say that japanese cars looked plastic and now it's the other way round.

Concept=Barbeque

Production=Homer's attempt at barbeque

"Why doesn't it look like that one!!"

You sure? By the specs you posted it seems that the Z06 has more power and weighs quite a bit less.

Yeah but as you can see the only performance figure that the Z06 has that is better than the GT-R is the top speed, and the other ones (0-60, 1/4 mile) are close enough for them to be compared to each other.

thedguy said:
All we can really do is wait and see.
But we get to speculate our collective ass off in the mean time :D. I agree with what you said about it making a normal driver into a god, with AWD and all the electric nanny stuff it should be relatively easy for Joe Schmo to push it to its limits. As for "modablility", we'll just have to wait and see. GM left alot of room for people to play with the LSx engines, I hope Nissan managed to do the same with the GTR engine.
Ilpav said:
Yeah but as you can see the only performance figure that the Z06 has that is better than the GT-R is the top speed, and the other ones (0-60, 1/4 mile) are close enough for them to be compared to each other.
Yeah, close enough on paper. I don't think all the electric gizmos in the world could help the GTR beat a Z06 around a track though; not with it lugging AWD and an extra 662lbs around. That's that much more weight to be stopped in the corners, that much more load on the tires, etc etc. I'm interested to see what the various trim levels of the GTR will be. Bench racing sure is fun, ain't it :p?

Last edited:
The GTR will make mince meat of the regular Corvette, so it will compete with the Z06. It also has the exact same performance figures as the Porsche 911 Turbo (but is half the price.) The GTR's main competitor will be the Z06, and I think it'll be a bit faster on the track then the Vette.

Considering the GT-R was tested against the 911, I don't think thats the case, good driving around VIR places the 997 Turbo well behind the Z06. In fact the 997 Turbo could outpace the Shelby GT-500 by only .1 of a second.

Based on power-weight-ratio, and BS being spewed by the news about the GT-R, I'm going to assume the GT-R is easier to drive than the 997 turbo as they claim the GT-R is faster and yet heavier with no more power.

As I said before, all just speculation until it comes out.

:yawn: Never been a skyline fan and things aren't about to change.

Considering the GT-R was tested against the 911, I don't think thats the case, good driving around VIR places the 997 Turbo well behind the Z06. In fact the 997 Turbo could outpace the Shelby GT-500 by only .1 of a second.

Based on power-weight-ratio, and BS being spewed by the news about the GT-R, I'm going to assume the GT-R is easier to drive than the 997 turbo as they claim the GT-R is faster and yet heavier with no more power.

As I said before, all just speculation until it comes out.

I could test my car along side a f430 (like many of the ricers seem to do with integra's) and that doesn't make it so, the skyline doesn't have the "underdog" rep that it used to have either.

Concept=Barbeque

Production=Homer's attempt at barbeque

"Why doesn't it look like that one!!"

Yep, i kind of agree with you here.

I'm at this point in my life where im never going to make full use of a 450 hp car in terms or top speed or performance on the track, so i'd rather have a car i want to look at. This car, i dont want to look at. The Proto concept front looked much better, cleaner and bolder. The production car front looks like a blah, real world compromise.

:yawn: Never been a skyline fan and things aren't about to change.

Youre in luck because the new GTR is not Skyline based.

Well no offence to the Japanese car guys here, but I personally do not like it.

I think that performance figures + everyday usage persuaded me.
I don't care if the Z06 is faster...i think it's harder to get here and the GT-r is probably more suited for everyday use - so i want one. How it looks? 3,5s and the rest of the numbers look great.

I never liked the R33 or R34 GTR's, the R32 looked ok to me. I respected them all though for what they could do on the track. Still given the choice I would have taken the equivalent porsche 911. However with this new GTR I think it is a giant leap over the previous model GTR's. I am not too sure on the times quoted but I still think it would be a kick ass car, a technological beast. If Nissan can pull it off, well done!! I like the look of the production model more than the prototype.
Can't wait to see what the EVO Spec one will be like (unless that is what the times going around are for).

What made the GT-R so great was the easily tunable engine for huge power. That simply will not be the case here. The older GT-R had steel engines that could take huge amounts of boost. This aluminum engine that is an overboar of a 350z engine barely takes the boost it is getting stock. So now they will have to out-handle Porsche and Corvettes, and I don't envy them at all. The oddity of it all will be that Corvettes will likely be the most reliable of the bunch.

"Steel" engines? "Overboar"? :blink:

Son, you obviously either know sh*t about engines, or you're illiterate. In either case, give me your Paypal account number so I can buy you a clue. :|

The 3.8L motor in the GT-R shares little with the VQ35DE/HR. Regardless, Nissan isn't making a dream-car for the very limited tuner market--they are after Porsche buyers.

I don't think all the electric gizmos in the world could help the GTR beat a Z06 around a track though; not with it lugging AWD and an extra 662lbs around. That's that much more weight to be stopped in the corners, that much more load on the tires, etc etc. I'm interested to see what the various trim levels of the GTR will be. Bench racing sure is fun, ain't it :p?

I guess you missed this then...

Nurburgring's Nordschleife lap times:

Corvette Z06 7:42
GT-R 7:35

Source:
http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied_vehicles/112_0712_2008_nissan_gt_r

I wouldn't exactly call the legendary 'Ring a "bench". :rolleyes:

Yeh but Nissan also said the R33 GT-R did it in 7min59secs

I wouldn't exactly call the legendary 'Ring a "bench". :rolleyes:
Necx0 said:
Yeh but Nissan also said the R33 GT-R did it in 7min59secs
Sure it's possible that's a legit time, but I'd like to see it from a source other than Nissan.

It's finally been unveiled.

Lapping the Nurburgring in 7:38.5 is impressive, but it's such a sales gimmick. I can't remember the last time a manufacturer unveiled a car and included a video of their Nurburgring lap in the presentation. It'll probably sell cars, but that lap time must have taken tons of attempts. 'Ring lap times are fun and good for bragging rights, but let's be honest, they're pretty much irrelevant. I'm eagerly awaiting more tests and comparisons. *cough* Slower than the Z06 *cough*. :p