User Reputation Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure can, you just need to spread around some reputations before giving it to that person again. Otherwise, you could rep somebody up endlessly in no time, which kind of misses the point of the whole system.

Makes sense.

Someone negatively repped me because i have "too many smilies in one post" Which, btw, was two smilies.

LOL

This feature is a joke. Just like a popularity contest back in high school. People will rep you down if you disagree with their views, not because the comment was particularly insightful/interesting/helpful/etc.

Glad it's not being used as a criteria for banning.

Someone negatively repped me because i have "too many smilies in one post" Which, btw, was two smilies.

LOL

That's extremely lame. Yeah, I'm start to doubt this feature again already.

Just don't give the whole thing too much importance and everything will be fine. Setting up a database that indicates valid reasons for giving points definitely goes into the wrong direction. As far as I can see I have a membrance of most of the people by their names and or avatars anyway and was able to figure out the quality of their postings before as well. That feature's not a biblical judgement (one might receive positive or negative points for one and the same post after all!), it just gives you a brief idea about the general quality of somebody's post.

reputation.png

How is anyone supposed to take this feature seriously when even the moderators are joking around, members are giving out points, be they positive or negative, for trivial reasons, and people complaining about not having any/enough rep are receiving it undeservedly?

Couldn't we just create a poll and let the members decide whether this feature should stay or go?

How is anyone supposed to take this feature seriously when even the moderators are joking around, members are giving out points, be they positive or negative, for trivial reasons, and people complaining about not having any/enough rep are receiving it undeservedly?

Couldn't we just create a poll and let the members decide whether this feature should stay or go?

Viper posted the repuation settings....which does very well to prevent spamming of the rep feature.

But the inherent problem still exists, as you said.

But what does my opinion matter? My rep is in the red so I must be stupid/crazy/worthless/etc. right? ;)

I no longer have a negative rating.

:'(

Uhuh, and the 174 points I received are not legit? They came from separate people, and all had to do with things done around here.

Also, when the rep was enabled, everyone started off with 0 points-- thus nobody could rep. We had to jump start it, or else it would not have worked.

So stop asking for rep here, and give it a month or two and see how it goes. If you hate it, don't use it. Simple as that.

I guess KaJuN really hates spoilers. :lol:
Damn! My secret it out! :lol: I wouldn't have cared so much but the fact that it was such a close call for the championship made me irritated when I read about it in the off topic section when we have a perfectly good F1 section to discuss that stuff in.

I hate the new "KaJuN has between 0 and 9 reputation" thing it says when you mouse over the little boxes. It's as boring as the Porsche styling department.

Well, if it's a joke then it should be easy enough to ignore if you don't want to use it. As was pointed out, it's not a criteria for banning or anything.

I hate the new "KaJuN has between 0 and 9 reputation" thing it says when you mouse over the little boxes. It's as boring as the Porsche styling department.

It was better than "KaJuN is on the road to success!". Who knows what that means? I figured putting a rough idea of points in as the rank title would be better.

when even the moderators are joking around,

Well, I'd had hoped they be responsible enough not to. Apparently I was wrong.

*looks at the mods* Do I need to be removing someone's privileges? :) You guys are mods to moderate the forum, not abuse your powers and fuck around.

members are giving out points, be they positive or negative, for trivial reasons, and people complaining about not having any/enough rep are receiving it undeservedly?

You're right, I should institute a panel to evaluate each and every reputation point. :rolleyes:

I don't want to sound like an ass, but comon now, what did you expect? 110% of people were going to use it correctly? This is why people can only hand out one point and not 50. There are going to be "bad" rep points, but they shouldn't be enough to matter in the end.

And honestly, who cares? I mean, do you really care that much about exactly how many points you have? Stop boo hoo'ing. :p

You gotta be kidding me. What were the past 10 pages of this thread? As I've said, this is on a trial basis and I'm not talking about a 2 day trial.

I'm getting a bit sick of all of the whining from people in this thread. If you don't like the feature, then don't use it. That doesn't mean hand out all -1, that means don't use it at all.

It's simple an experiment to see if it works well or not for this particular forum.

I'm killing this thread for now. We'll bring up the subject in a few weeks and see how it's been performing.

I think this feature is going really well, minus the occasional random -1. So, I've taken away the ability for people to -1. You can only +1 now.

This should get rid of people complaining about it and make the whole system simpler.

^ What about posts that really annoy you, like this one?

Sorry for complaining...

Yes, I'd rather have the -1 feature on too so we can -1 bad posts, but some people don't seem mature enough to use it correctly and I'd much, much rather to not have to deal with people complaining about -1 they wrongly received.

So, if it's a good post, +1 it. If not, don't.

And to combat that lack of -1, just +1 quality posts more often. It'll leave those with sub-par posts with less reputation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.