2008 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
Welcome to the 2008 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread.

This is a section for pre-season testing and general F1 news throughout the 2008 pre-season.

Once the 2008 Season starts in March, this thread will be closed and a 2008 Formula 1 Season thread will be opened.

I thought starting this thread was a good idea for all pre-season news etc. As the 2007 Formula 1 season is over, we should probably use this thread instead of the 2007 Formula 1 Season thread.

87879.jpg

Last edited:
Some News...

Ferrari can continue to supply engines to two teams
25 October 2007

Ferrari has received the permission of the FIA to continue to supply two other Formula 1 teams with customer engines in 2008 and 2009. This decision was made this week at the World Motor Sport Council meeting in Paris.

In the Formula 1 rules for next season it said that a engine manufacturer could supply a maximum of one other Formula 1 team with its engines. This year Ferrari is supplying both Scuderia Toro Rosso and Spyker and thus the Italians can continue to do so for another two seasons.

Source

Here's hoping Ferrari can keep their confidential design secrets confidential this year.

When does pre season testing begin? and how can comparisons be made between the different cars?

Can't really......almost impossible. So many teams are running different tests on different components. I guess the only way would be at the end of testing to get the fastest time from each time at each venue over the whole summer.

When does pre season testing begin?

There are two tests sessions schedule before the end of the year.

13-15 November Circuit de Catalunya

4-7 December Circuito Permanente de Jerez

I'm guessing the dates for pre-season testing in 2008 will be released later on.

^^^They will probably do testing with the 07 cars without TC then...it's too soon for 08 cars...

^^^They will probably do testing with the 07 cars without TC then...it's too soon for 08 cars...

BMW might get theres out there though. They are massively ahead of everyone else.

Maybe...and so would Renault...they stopped focusing on 07 mid-season, so they should be ahead as well...

I think its only BMW who are massively ahead of the rest. Although I wouldnt be suprised if Honda have had an early start on their car.

Although I wouldnt be suprised if Honda have had an early start on their car.
That's just wishful thinking :p

Why are BMW so much ahead of the rest though?

^ Cos they got to the point where they couldnt catch 2nd, and couldnt be caught by 4th, so they started 2008's car.

BMW and Renault took gambles to start on the early start for the new cars, but "start" is not really true; the design process of a F1 car lasts 18-20 months, from the first drawings to the first track outing. Rather, they pull the plug on developing the current car and throw all the resources behind the final design process for next year's car. Maybe this will allow Renault to catch BMW and for both to catch Macca and Ferrari. I'd love to see a 4-way scrap next year. A real one. And with on-track battles kept out of the pits.

I was bored, so I made a little list of the major changes for next season:

Edit: Nevermind. :p

Last edited:
Hamilton announces retirement

Just one day after his son lost the world championship following a dire Brazilian Grand Prix, Anthony Hamilton has announced that the McLaren star is set to retire.

According to reports, Hamilton Snr confirmed that Lewis had just ?another 15 years in the sport?.

The shock news that Lewis is set to hang up his helmet at the tender age of 37 has sent the 2022 driver market into a frenzy, with many drivers angling for the plum McLaren seat.

Naturally, there are many candidates for the drive, including several boys still at school yet to meet Ron Dennis at an awards ceremony.

Source

:lol:

:lol: I love those guys

Haha, beat me to it :lol:

I'm curious to see how the cars are going to perform with the McLaren-Microsoft (sigh...) ECU's, which, I am sure, is probably going to be the most vital item they will be testing with their old cars in the coming fortnight.