Land Rover: 1, Buick: 0; Old people can't drive!

KaJuN

Disco Inferno
Car(s)
Mini Cooper S, Landy Series III, Vulcan 900 Custom
I was on my way home from class when my day quickly went from good to very shitty. I'm driving down a road with two lanes going each direction when I had to stop because a car in front of me was trying to make a left turn into a pizza place. I saw it ahead of time and came to a gentle stop and was just sitting there for a few seconds when I happen to look in my mirror. "Oh shit!" SLAM!! Some old lady in a Buick Century absolutely creamed me at about 35mph. I don't think she even made an attempt to slow down. I get out to see if she was ok then I almost run back to my Disco before my temper got the best of me. Fortunately her car came off on the losing end and here's all I got out of it:

http://img86.imageshack.**/img86/1000/picture009eh9.jpg
http://img135.imageshack.**/img135/148/picture008uv9.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.**/img509/4404/picture012ks1.jpg

How the hell could she not have seen me? A Discovery has four very noticeable brake lights, not to mention a big back end. At least I have the satisfaction that she no longer has her car because it was no match for my solid steel bumper. 8) I wish the road hadn't been so busy so I could have gotten some pictures.

As for me well my neck is a little sore and stiff. It's probably just because I got blasted but I'm keeping a very close eye on it and I'm going to set up an appointment tomorrow just to be safe. Another thing I'm worried about is the insurance. I called them up right after I was done with the police and the lady on the phone didn't sound very interested in all with helping me. All I can say is they better not try to screw me over or drag their heels about getting me the money quickly! :mad: I've always been prompt with my payments and I expect them to do the same in return. God I hate old drivers!

How the hell could she not have seen me? A Discovery has four very noticeable brake lights, not to mention a big back end.

She was distracted, maybe? :p Giggity!

What about some pix of the wrecked Buick?

What about some pix of the wrecked Buick?

x2,

and the old hag who hit you!

I do generally hate people who leave tailgates on (not you, your reinforcement is just there.) I used to go to some message boards were guys would laugh about how trashed peoples cars got when they hit them, and something just seemed terribly wrong about it.

PS: What type of frame does the Disco have? Or did you just get lucky? Because if i could get my little cars to be that rigid i would have no fear of driving them around in the land of the fat.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we were in the middle of a busy road so I wasn't able to get any pictures because of the risk of being hit by another inattentive driver. Her car was pretty well bashed up and is most likely totaled so that gives me a little satisfaction.

The trailer hitch hasn't seen any use from me but I'm glad it was there because it stopped the Buick from hitting the fuel tank which is right behind it. As for the frame I'd have to look up all the specifics but I've read stories of similar incidents with the same outcome: a wrecked rear ender and an almost unhurt Disco. Now I need to go to the scrap yard and get a Buick badge to put on my fender to mark the kill. :lol:

Nice Pontiac!
That'd be my brother's car that I've mentioned a few times. Funnily enough that's the only angle from which the car doesn't look like a heap. :p Even though it's cosmetically challenged and an auto it's still tons of fun to drive with a beefy 5.7L V8. I just wish I had the opportunity to drive it more often.

Last edited:
Be glad she wasn't driving an old Roadmaster, that would have made the outcome a lot different.

I guess it would set off a rather large earthquake, having two enormous forces collide

Kinda ironic that a Buick hit a Land Rover with a Buick engine. But in all truthfulness, that sucks.

The Roadmaster was built on the B-body, the same platform that underpinned the Caprice and Impala. That meant a solid body on frame design that weighed in well over 2 tons. This is the reason why so many 9C1's are still used by the cops today over 10 years after GM stopped making them.

The Roadmaster was built on the B-body, the same platform that underpinned the Caprice and Impala. That meant a solid body on frame design that weighed in well over 2 tons. This is the reason why so many 9C1's are still used by the cops today over 10 years after GM stopped making them.

My grandpa had a Caprice whose rear was smashed in in a similar way to KaJuN, the car was sold because it would have cost way too repair it. If anything, there was a lot more damage to the car than you would expect in that kind of crash.

Unless you're talking about the very old (50s) Roadmasters, the Disco still wins. The 90s Roadmasters have plastic noses and the Disco's hitch would still have centerpunched the radiator. In addition, the body on a Roadmaster or any last-gen B-Body isn't structural as the vehicle is body-on-frame and they tend to wad up surprisingly badly for a car that size.

Look a little to the left under my avatar.

There are not a ton still running around, it's mostly Crown Vic's and Impala's and maybe a new Charger, but they are still out and about. I saw one just last week matter of fact.