1,000hp ProPane 1970 Chevy Chevelle by Mothers

Elmo187

Car(s)
Cobalt SS/SC-SN95 5.0 Stang-Toyota Corolla AE86
It seems that a lot of companies are realizing that unless your horsepower claims are in the four-digit range, they barely get noticed anymore. With that in mind, the team at Mothers Polish cooked up a very special 1970 Chevelle SS hot rod with 1,000 HP under the hood. And it happens to be powered by propane gas, hence the "ProPane" name. Jim Holloway from Mothers came up with the concept, Chip Foose did the design, Johnny Omundson of Obrothers Design handled the engineering, Haigh Blocks & PPI (Propane Performance Industries) were responsible for that 527 ci Chevy small block, and Paul Gonzalez of PGCC did the build. The result is one of the cleanest and cleanest burning resto-mods we've seen.

Courtesy of AutoBlog

propanechevelle---1.jpg

propanechevelle---2.jpg

good fucking lord look at that inta....errr....those tuba's.

thats just absolutely sick looking! i lov the intakes on the engine. it makes it look like a transformer :D

So what? Anyone can make an engine with 1000bhp these days. Getting the car to work as A CAR is a completely different matter. This is just a stupid 30 year old hot rod that will be confused by the slightest of corners.
Where is my Bugatti...

Gimme gimme gimme :drool:

So what? Anyone can make an engine with 1000bhp these days. Getting the car to work as A CAR is a completely different matter. This is just a stupid 30 year old hot rod that will be confused by the slightest of corners.
Where is my Bugatti...

Right and I'm sure the brakes suck too, right? (<looks at the massive cross drilled rotors on each corner>)

This is just a stupid 30 year old hot rod that will be confused by the slightest of corners.

Top Gear Top Tip: When in doubt, use Clarksonisms to make it appear as though you have a valid point, even though you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Wow. This is beyond madness, this is Sparta.

HighVoltage, can you please post pics of the 1000+bhp car you've built in your shed, seeing as anybody can build one of those these days? Hint: today's restomods* can actually turn.

*I hate that term, so I use it loosely here.

Top Gear Top Tip: When in doubt, use Clarksonisms to make it appear as though you have a valid point, even though you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

So you want to tell me that this thing will be as fast as a Bugatti on any track with corners? I'm sorry but I'm not 13 anymore and realize that drag racing is one of the simplest and stupidest forms of racing. The fact that anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line speaks for itself. And that ius exactly why Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti and all other supercar manufacturers don't concentrate as much on it as on the handling of the car.

Correction: any car company (obviously not every person can build one by himself)

So you want to tell me that this thing will be as fast as a Bugatti on any track with corners? I'm sorry but I'm not 13 anymore and realize that drag racing is one of the simplest and stupidest forms of racing. The fact that anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line speaks for itself. And that ius exactly why Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti and all other supercar manufacturers don't concentrate as much on it as on the handling of the car.

:lmao: Pure gold! Yes, son, this car was purpose-built to compete with Ferraris and Bugattis, obviously. The 1970 Chevelle was actually GM's top-secret supercar platform, just waiting for the right person to drop in a 1000 HP propane-fueled motor so it could rail the Italians on the road courses - not many people know that, though.

I'm with BlaRo, I want to see the 1000HP propane-powered monster motor that you've built. Not many 14-year-olds can do that!

Last edited:
Did you come to this conclusion after testing this car on a well-balanced road course? Or are you just pulling the stupid "AMERICAN CARS CAN'T TURN LOLOL" stereotypes bullshit again? If you are, maybe you are still 13. ;)

P.S. I don't really care about your opinion on drag racing, because I'm not a big fan myself. But don't write off well-engineered cars based on what JC tells you.

Very funny... I know what you are saying. Many people think that muscle cars are made for drag racing, but is this an excuse for not handling properly? Chevrolet themselves understand this and that's why they have not made a car with 1000bhp. They CAN put a 1000bhp engine in a Corvette but they know the car will not be able to handle all this power properly and around a track it will be actually slower than the current Z06 (yes, I am a bit skeptic about the comming SS)

BlaRo we are having a friendly argument here and you already know the answers to the questions you ask me:) But tell me honestly, do you think this car will be any good on a race track? I would really love to see a video of any of these new modified muscle cars with enormous engines driving around a track - it seems like everytime they test them is on a straight road.

Last edited:
Chevrolet themselves understand this and that's why they have not made a car with 1000bhp. They CAN put a 1000bhp engine in a Corvette but they know the car will not be able to handle all this power properly and around a track it will be actually slower than the current Z06 (yes, I am a bit skeptic about the comming SS)

Wow, your insider information is peerless! Man, even my unnamed sources inside Chevrolet didn't tell me about that problem with the Z06 chassis. Are you posting this from the bushes outside Bob Lutz's house? I'll bet you are, you crazy stalker you.

BlaRo we are having a friendly argument here and you already know the answers to the questions you ask me:) But tell me honestly, do you think this car will be any good on a race track? I would really love to see a video of any of these new modified muscle cars with enormous engines driving around a track - it seems like everytime they test them is on a straight road.

It's a show car, not a mass-produced Veyron fighter. So the fine men and women who built it aren't gonna give a rat's ass about wringing it around Moroso against F40s, because this is the only one they're going to build. Hence, I don't see why you're making this point. It's like saying how come the SR-71 doesn't have a built-in toaster?

Real restomods (ugh, there's that word again) such as Classic Recreations or Baldwin-Motion know that customers paying ridiculous (and I really think they are ridiculous) amounts of money for an old-new muscle car want to turn and stop them too, hence the massive suspension redesigns and beefy cross-drilled brakes. Straight-line performance may have been good enough back in 1969, but modern man isn't dumb.

It is really childish to see some here getting upset at the obvious - outdated American engines making gobs of power in a desperate attempt to prove the addage "no replacement for displacement" is still remotely true is no big deal. Going fast in a straight line takes more money than skill and this car does make power but so does a diesel locomotive. Doesn't mean that it is impressive.

This car has it's place but it will not outhandle a Lotus Elise and to deny this most obvious fact reflects more upon the one denying it than on the target of that person's attack.

Jeez. How many cars can outhandle a Lotus Elise?

How many cars from the 1970's can outhandle a Lotus Elise?

It's dumb as hell to even make that comparison.

This car has it's place but it will not outhandle a Lotus Elise and to deny this most obvious fact reflects more upon the one denying it than on the target of that person's attack.

Err...did you even read the thread?

This isn't a race car. Stop expecting it to be.

Don't make me go on a Finalgear e-rampage.

You may go on a childish rampage all you like. Again, doing so reflects upon you and you alone. It is very much presented as being a street legal "race car" - one you'd want light-to-light. A 'car' showing what 'Mericans can do with "real" power. However, power is nothing without control. You, and others here, are free to be impressed all you like. Not everyone is going to agree with every opinion you choose to have.

As a visual object, it is stunning. As a car, it is laughable.

This car is meant to make you look good and feel good.

Then it's nothing more than American rice.

Last edited:
seriously, to everyone saying it's a crap american car that would fall over at the first sight of a corner........the people who buy these couldnt give a crap about how many tenths of a second quicker the car car get round a track. And with a car that beautiful...thrashing it round a circuit would be the LAST thing I would do. This car is meant to make you look good and feel good. The power is just for fun, but to keep it safe they updated the brakes and suspension.

am i the only one here that is really impressed with the 1000hp PROPANE fueled engine? i wonder how hard it is to retro fit other engines i mean isn't propane like 130ish octane. Think of the boost you could run.