HiFi Speakers to TV

Greatgraddage

Hey,
my mates and I recently bought a big old sony tv from a pawn shop. It works fine apart from the speakers crackle a lot when playing anything with much bass. We have two mini hifi speakers lying around with bare lead connectors. Does anyone know of a way to connect these to the tv? I can't see any obvious audio outputs apart from the headphone jack socket. Each speaker has a double wire connected to it, I assume one is the sound and the other is either power or earth.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Greatgraddage

Amp

For those speakers I don't know of another way, easiest thing would be if they were RCA speakers but ... yh .... they're obviously not, I'm guessing red and black wire? (Power and Earth as you stated)

You'll need an amplifier/receiver of some sort to power the speakers.

An amp could connect to the tv through the headphone socket and the speakers would connect to it right?

What about this?

Whoever took the tv to the shop to pawn it probably did so because they forgot to steal the amp.

:drums:

It has RCA output on the back, right? Just get a cheap receiver and use that. You can get one used for cheap (maybe from the same pawn shop) and also hook up other inputs if you need sound for them.

You can get an older 4 or 5.1ch amp for like $15, it'll sound much better than that ghetto rig you linked to - which also wouldn't power the speakers well enough, BTW.

Hey,
my mates and I recently bought a big old sony tv from a pawn shop. It works fine apart from the speakers crackle a lot when playing anything with much bass. We have two mini hifi speakers lying around with bare lead connectors. Does anyone know of a way to connect these to the tv? I can't see any obvious audio outputs apart from the headphone jack socket. Each speaker has a double wire connected to it, I assume one is the sound and the other is either power or earth.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Greatgraddage

FWIW I have three ideas:

1) If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could insert a capacitor between the speaker and one of the wires. If it still crackles with too much bass, lower the capacitor's value. The cracking is probably due to frequencies too low for the speaker to reproduce being "reproduced".

2) Drill holes in the hull, take the speaker wires out, connect to the outboard speakers you have. Superglue them to the sides of the TV.

3) OR, you could find a battered receiver from another pawn shop and connect the speakers to it and feed it from the headphone jack.