San Diego and LA fire

Sound to see this, but I did see the Mars going to Cali, it flew right overhead, since its lake is only one town away from mine.

Here are a couple of videos I made today (I apologize for the quality, if anyone can host the original .3g2 files I would be thankful).

Major smoke clouds and haze
[YOUTUBE]Fu13Hqskgxc[/YOUTUBE]

You can't even see the mountains/hills in the horizon, ash is falling everywhere.
[YOUTUBE]mxdiZBFrKMM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Here's some pictures I took last time we had fires here
IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

and what it should look like
IMG_0726.jpg

maybe it's a bit morbid or whatever, but when we had a big fire some years ago and it was raining ash and the sky was a funky color, and it smelled like BBQ everywhere, I thought it was kinda cool.

Am I alone in thinking that boy should be made to repay the damage costs he caused? I think it'd be perfectly fair if every dollar he ever earns in his lifetime is sent towards those who lost homes, possesions and family in the fires he caused. He can also go and help clean up the mess.

Yes, you are. The kid was playing, an accident happened which he couldn't have prevented any other way than not playing in the first place. And if you tell a kid not to do something, he'll want to do it at leat twice as much. He came clean, he admitted it, he's a good kid.

^ Try telling that to the people who lost their homes. I can't agree. I'm unsure of the exact nature of the conditions over there when the fire begun, but to cause such extensive damage, it would've been very hot, very windy, and probably very dry. Not the ideal time or place to start playing with matches, and anyone with a shred of common sense should've foreseen that, even a kid.

Ok, it wasn't deliberate arson so maybe my punishment is a little harsh, but a simple 'sorry' won't cut it either. Its a small step to go from 'playing with matches' to deliberate arson, and arsonists are just about the lowest forms of scum on Earth. I hope he's learned his lesson, because he'll never get a better demonstration of how matches work.

Yes, you are. The kid was playing, an accident happened which he couldn't have prevented any other way than not playing in the first place. And if you tell a kid not to do something, he'll want to do it at leat twice as much. He came clean, he admitted it, he's a good kid.

In California they run ads all the time DO NOT PLAY WITH FIRE. His parents should have also been keeping an eye on the fucker. The state is tremendously easy to set on fire as it's got loads of dry brush and hills, along with strong winds to move the fires all over the place.

They need to make an example out of the kid/parents somehow. Most of us have the self control to not go out in a field full of dry brush and play with fires.

If you say it's the parents' fault, punish them for being bad at their job, not the kid.

it was an accident, plain and simple. maybe he wasn't really doing anything wrong, "playing with matches" is pretty vague.

if you live in that area and DON'T have fire insurance, you're a much bigger idiot that that kid, or his parents.

IMO it's an accident, can't treat everything like arson. I would give the kid a break.
He came clean, he admitted it, he's a good kid.
exactly. Most people I know wouldn't have said shit, myself included most likely.

I would thank the kid for his honesty, and for not letting all the networks run around hypothesizing that it was their little pet issue that caused the fire, when in fact it was just an innocent accident.

How about we commend the kid for being honest, and even give him a medal for stimulating the economy, putting a bunch of illegals to work building new homes?

I'm sorry but when you do that much damage, you don't get off just because you admitted to it. If the kid ran to call the fire department because he couldn't stop it right away, the that would be one thing, but he didn't.

Had I set a fire and put a metropolitan area of 20million people at risk, I'm know I would have had to deal with a lot more than a guilty conscience.

Last edited:
^see, one thing that I don't get here. However little the kid may have been, surely he must have heard about the wildfires that were already going on and underway. SO, why the hell would you be playing with fire EXACTLY when you know how devastating it can be? He was just asking for it, I'm still not convinced he did it intentionally to see how far it went or how fast fire can spread, and then he saw how deep a hole he dug himself and came clean because they might find out anyway.

Also, as people stated, he could have called for help and notified the fire department when the fire was very little. But he didn't. He thought "oh my, I started a fire, should I face the consequences of being grounded for playing with fire and put my parents through a lot of trouble and expenses? or should I let it go and let everyone think that it's just another one of those bush fires?" He only admitted it because the guilt got to him.

That's not commendable, especially if people were hurt because of the fire.

He should be shot for not listening to Charley the Cat.

even if you were a little kid?

Keep in mind I'm not advocating we castrate him and stick him on a chain gang.

If he is 8 or under, he should get SOME slack. May be scare him a bit, and make sure he realizes just how bad things got because he wanted to play with matches.

If he's at least 10 years old, make him do community service every weekend but holidays until he's 21 (unless he gets a job that requires working on weekends), take away driving privileges until 21, and require that when he turn 16 he get a job and have 20% of his wages garnished until he's 21. And he'll be required to keep his grades up and graduate high school. If he keeps it all up, or shows he's committed, then those terms can be backed down and maybe even offer him a decent bit of financial help for college/university.

One thing you don't realize is there, if you are a kid, and you watch tv for 2 hours a week (most likely saturday morning cartoons), you'll have seen all the adds on tv telling you not to fuck with matches or play with fire. Unless he was 4, he knew better.

Also, as people stated, he could have called for help and notified the fire department when the fire was very little. But he didn't. He thought "oh my, I started a fire, should I face the consequences of being grounded for playing with fire and put my parents through a lot of trouble and expenses? or should I let it go and let everyone think that it's just another one of those bush fires?" He only admitted it because the guilt got to him.

That's not commendable, especially if people were hurt because of the fire.

That is why he doesn't deserve to get off for "coming clean" he didn't do shit but perhaps stomp on it or grab a bucket of water to stop it. Had he called the fire department, went to his parents and got them to get a hose... anything, then I might be with Ice on this. I'd be surprised to find out he didn't come clean until he heard the fire department figured out it was the matches. At which point he just went "oh shit, I should say something now, to avoid getting into more trouble than I already am." That shit didn't work for me as a kid, shouldn't work now.

We are too lenient on kids these days now.

The fire in San Diego was just happening that same day, it's quite possible he didn't know about them.

I have to laugh every time crime and punishment gets discussed on the Internet. If it were up to the Internet message boards, tailgating would carry the death sentence.

I found out from my friend and my parents that the people involved in the restoration of homes for the victims of the 2003 fire had just finished their last home 2 months before this conflagration.

That's got to have been a bitter moment =/