[10x04] November 4th, 2007

haha, great episode, great cinematics as ever, and the chemistry is perfect on TG!

the credits... archbishop demond [instert surname here] for everyone...

Having been to africa and spent time in areas around where they were, I have to tell you that you absolutely must go there before you die. I've been a few places but Africa is the one place I know 100% I will return to. It is such a visceral, real, eye opening place and you never want to leave.

Indeed, I've been to Egypt and I'm desperate to get back, but that's a very specific part of Africa, and from what I can tell, very different to other parts.

On another note: Jeremy should be shot for constantly mispronouncing Lancia - honestly, what's the point in having an Italian car if you cannot even say its name properly. That may be the reason why it constantly packed up: it was offended and you should not insult hot-blooded Italians...

Lan-cha!

Wonderful, as usual!!
I love these 'Boys Own' adventures, and am so happy to be able to 'make the journey' with my favourite boys! I, like most people, will probably never get to cross Africa in a mad old banger, so I feel grateful to team TG for taking me along!!

I loved James 'Widow Twanky' May's intro, and think they should let him do more of the commentry more often.

The car histories were interesting, and brief enough not to be boring, and what great choices were made for entertainment value. I also fell in love with Oliver, but then, I am a girl & in our world it's abnormal not to give a car a name & understand it's personality.

PMSL at RSPB member J Clarkson.

I especially liked Jeremy saying "...drove deeper & deeper into the bush" in an entirely filthy way.

Hammers aplenty! Jeremy is so right about hitting things with a hammer. It can sort any problem.

The map pictures, falling in love with Oliver, comb over, floor shooting, playing ballads to Hammond, cow head, Beetle of doom, all hilarious! The Bodgit & Scarper bodywork made me long to live in a world free of MOT!

But, you know what? Most of all, I felt like I was right in the middle of a piece of AA Gill at his best, without need of a dictionary. The images & filming showed a beautiful place, which took my breath away. Proper shivers went down my spine at how awe inspiring the sunsets & sunrises were, and it made me feel very little in this enormous place. To share somewhere like this with TG3 was a very special experience for me. In a romantic girl way, during the sunsets & moon gazing, I just wanted to reach out & hold Jeremy's hand.

Awesome episode. One of the best. It was very... peaceful as they drove through the beautiful African enviroment. Oliver was awesome and I want a '63 Kadett.

I think I actually found the American special more enjoyable - for some reason I didn't quite feel elated after watching the African special. Somehow, the episode felt a bit lacking in places, perhaps because of the length of the salt plains trial. Nevertheless, it was quite fascinating to see such low key cars survive such a grueling ordeal :D I think I will need to watch the episode once more.

I got back from MPH just as Top Gear was about to start 8)
It was an incredible episode and felt much less set-up than usual. Lots of laughs, spectacular scenery, cars that wouldn't die, Stig's African cousin and an evil Beetle on standbye for anyone who fails. Loved it.

MPH was also fantastic :)

thanx for the reply guys (skipped the rest of the thread tho, since im currently downloading it and dont want any spoilers)
this information will certainly help me in the future, since it means i can download it on sundays instead of mondays (unless i have to work early on mondays)

I think I actually found the American special more enjoyable - for some reason I didn't quite feel elated after watching the African special. Somehow, the episode felt a bit lacking in places, perhaps because of the length of the salt plains trial. Nevertheless, it was quite fascinating to see such low key cars survive such a grueling ordeal :D I think I will need to watch the episode once more.

I'm exactly the same the American special had a great feel to it after you watched it you wanted more and more but the African one I felt was lacking. I'd have to watch both of them and say well thats one thing I miss oh heres another.

The salt flats were a tad boring yes the views were brilliant but it was just not as funny. Some parts were good but their just seemed too much missing from it that should have been there.

Sure everybody will like it in fact love it but its no American special. The American special had it all the music, the jokes just the way it was all told the African special was lacking a fair bit thinking on it.

Oliver was brilliant! Just the way Hamster was smug driving all the time.

Sure everybody will like it in fact love it but its no American special. The American special had it all the music, the jokes just the way it was all told the African special was lacking a fair bit thinking on it.

I think a lot of what was amusing about the USA special, was the micky taking, and the provocation of the locals. I really don't think it would work in Africa. This was a different type of special, as each one is. They stand alone & I can't compare them really, as I see them all as very different. The only common theme for me is TG3 and them getting from A to B.
I wish there had been more emphasis on African music, but that is the only thing I have found lacking after my first viewing.

Another great addition to the new series :p

There's more about Oliver if you have this month's TG mag :p

"All Adders Are Puffs"

Not as good as the US special, but then I feel that was probably the best hour of TV I've seen for a long, long time. Nothing can capture that spirit of driving, but this was a great story in its own right.

I am so glad Oliver made it.

I must admit I didn't think that was too great. There were a few funny moments and it was amazing seeing the cars making it all the way but it just seemed to be missing something to me. It didn't have the "X-factor" as Jeremy would say.

That was glorious. Absolutely beautiful photography, as always; the camaraderie was a joy to watch; plenty of fun; and a grand sense of adventure.

Wonderful. :) Thank you, TG boys.

:lol: at James for not knowing that the "broken" handbrake was just the brake release (the actual parking brake is a pedal on the floor)

great episode altogether but not as funny as the american special

edit: and there are a lot of mercedes rally cars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_R107
From the mid 1950s to the mid 1960s Mercedes-Benz cars were seen in rally competition, initially as the legendary 300SL, then the 220SE, the 230SL and finally the 300SE. A period of around twelve years then elapsed before Mercedes-Benz cars were again seen in rallies...

Last edited:
That was fabulous. Beautifully shot as ever and great to see them all looking like they were enjoying themselves. Even curmudgeonly James with his dislike of the the outdoors.
Very different in tone to the American adventure and just as good to me.

No doubt there will soon be lots of complaints that there wasn't enough car testing and that we didn't get an in depth discussion of the power to weight ratio of the Kadett, a full explantion of the difference between the Lancia Beta Coupe and its rivals in the range or enough about the ashtray action in the Merc.
To which I will say "Pish and Tosh" and "get over it"

"Oliver" made that episode! What a cool little car! I in some ways, preferred this to the US episode. It was very funny in a more realistic way, whereas the US one was almost like a sitcom.

I also burst out laughing at "aaaaggghhh! My eyeeeesssss!!!" and seeing the two dressed as 'gay terrorists'