The new Ducati 1098R, the most desirable motorcycle ever made!!!

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
Holy shit, I have no words to describe this machine!! It is just f**king incredible!

THE LIGHTEST AND MOST POWERFUL TWIN-CYLINDER BIKE OF ALL TIME - 1098R
The new 1098 R is the most powerful and lightest twin-cylinder bike ever produced by the Borgo Panigale factory, with the highest torque/weight ratio in the sportbike category.

It is the jewel in the crown of the successful Superbike family and it represents the ultimate expression of racing technology applied to a production bike. Ducati Corse engineers and riders worked in close contact with the R&D division during the development of this project to produce a true racing bike, a masterpiece of incredible performance and innovation.
The numbers speak for themselves. A total of 180hp is on tap for this new hypersport machine, together with an amazing torque value of 13.7 kgm.
The weight figure also confirms the racing origins of the 1098 R: 165kg puts the bike at the forefront of this category.

The development of the Testastretta Evoluzione has now found its crowning glory in the new engine for the latest addition to the Ducati family: the 1098 R.

Created after close collaboration between engineers from Ducati?s production and racing departments, this new engine is fitted with the same components powering the 1098 F08 that will take on the Japanese opposition in the 2008 World Superbike Championship. The R version of the 1098 has been boosted to an engine displacement of 1198cc. A bore increase from 104mm to 106mm and a stroke value of 67.9mm, producing a remarkable 1.56 ratio, complete the ?over-square? layout of the engine.

The power output of 180hp (132.4 kW) at 9750 rpm and a torque value of 13.7 kgm (134Nm) at 7750 rpm place the 1098 R at the very top of its category. It is the most powerful twin-cylinder production engine in history and fitting reward to the continued ingenuity of Borgo Panigale engineers.

RACING KIT
Every 1098 R is equipped with a racing kit designed exclusively for use on the track that has a pair of carbon ?102dB? silencers to increase power and a dedicated ECU. The ECU enables the activation of the DTC (Ducati Traction Control) system with eight available profiles able to be selected through the instrument panel?s digital display.

The specifications are just mind boggling, the people what "prefer" Japanese bikes have always said that the Ducatis are underpowered and heavy, well, even the Japanese are gonna have a hard time topping this! Cant wait to see Max Biaggi on the 1098 in WSBK 08!

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2008/FamilyPage.jhtml?family=Superbike

31_1098R_081194291780.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

:love:
:jawdrop:

yet another crotchrod.:|:zzz::yucky:

I know nothing about bikes so naturally Ducatis are one of my favourites. Looks awesome in red.

Have you ever sat on a Ducati for more than 2 minutes? I don't doubt its the greatest bike ever, but it is uncomfortable as hell!!!

:zzz: Noway near as fast as a Japanese bike. and twice as expensive.. Still, it's damn pretty though..

edit: ^That's the great thing about the GSX-R or a R1 they're faster than a 1098, but you can still take it for a trip around the world.. And let's not talk about the reliability.. ;)

Is it roadlegal?

I do think so, for what else would you need the number plate holder at the back?

I don't think it's the best looking bike, there are just too many too similar alternatives in the sport sector to give it that title, and, yes, I prefer to ride my motorbike instead of pulling it as well.

Of course its road legal. Karoug, as for how fast it is, we just have to wait and see. But you cant compare a Ducati, and certainly not an R model Ducati to a Japanese bike. I have a GSX-R, and I love it. But this is one a completely different level, this is the Enzo/Murcielago of the bike world, they are twice as expensive, but there is a reason for it...

^I mean that you wouldn't take a 1098 for a around the world trip.. Several ppl from Sweden has done it with Japanese sports-bikes, and as Buba pointed out: It seriously uncomfortable...

BTW: I have a Black GSX-R 1000K5 that I just shipped to MC-Xpress (The guys who does Ghostriders bikes).. :twisted:

But this is one a completely different level, this is the Enzo/Murcielago of the bike world, they are twice as expensive, but there is a reason for it...

:rolleyes:

Can't see the speciality of an Enzo / Murcielago compared to a Carrera GT either, if you pay twice the price for a bike that's as good or bad as any other odd bike at half the price just shows that Ducati's done their marketing lessons right or that you're rather buying a status symbol than a bike really.

Not that I've got against them in general, the 916 is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made in my opinion, but back then, there was nothing really comparable to it.

^I mean that you wouldn't take a 1098 for a around the world trip.. Several ppl from Sweden has done it with Japanese sports-bikes, and as Buba pointed out: It seriously uncomfortable...

BTW: I have a Black GSX-R 1000K5 that I just shipped to MC-Xpress (The guys who does Ghostriders bikes).. :twisted:

On that I agree :) Are you getting it turbocharged? What type of numbers are you aiming for?

:rolleyes:

Can't see the speciality of an Enzo / Murcielago compared to a Carrera GT either, if you pay twice the price for a bike that's as good or bad as any other odd bike at half the price just shows that Ducati's done their marketing lessons right or that you're rather buying a status symbol than a bike really.

The reason Ducatis are more expensive are: 1, the "brand" 2, the parts that go on a Ducati are much more expensive than those that go on a stock jap bike. We are talking about the very best in brakes, suspension, the lightest rims etc etc etc. If you want a GSX-R with the same parts it is also gonna cost an arm and a leg!

^But then again around a Track the Japanese bikes are faster..

Turbo it is!! I'm aiming for 260 bhp. That's their standard GSX-R kit!

Edit: Made a call to a friend that works for ?hlins. And the fork and the rear suspension that the Ducati 1098R uses are not as advanced as the suspension that the japanese bikes use.. Especially not the Yamaha R1.. Since Yamaha owns ?hlins.. :p

Last edited: