Okay, I hate my PC -- time for a new one

That shows that SLI is good though? Unless I am reading something wrong.

Well of course it's better than a single card as you have two cards doing the work, but besides in Oblivion, it's not even close to 2x as good and it's big gains are only at really high resolutions. In some cases, it actually performs worse than a single card.

Plus driver support for SLi has always been less than desirable.

Simply put, better off getting a more powerful single card.

Viper is right. Paying double for two cards isn't worth it.

Yea, when you're ready to upgrade, just sell your current card and buy a better one. SLi and Crossfire are not really worth it.

Was planning on waiting for prices to drop a bit, but I may end up just saying "fuck it" and going for it.

Why wait? Once it's built, when ever that is, the price will drop again after anyway. Any ideas or plans on specs?

Why wait? Once it's built, when ever that is, the price will drop again after anyway. Any ideas or plans on specs?
Because the 8800 GT is projected to drop in price by a LOT and not just the standard "oh it's old, so it drops" amount. nVidia was projecting the thing was gonna be like $200-230 rather than the $280-300 it is now as it's new.

Or did I hear wrong?

Was planning on waiting for prices to drop a bit, but I may end up just saying "fuck it" and going for it.

I've been in the same boat as Viper, except, I'm in more of a Socket 754 dinghy. I finally pulled the trigger tuesday and the UPS guy should be here tomorrow to drop off some early xmas presents.
AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+
ASUS M2A-VM uATX board
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 2x1GB
20X Samsung SATA DVD-burner
Antec NSK3480

All from Newegg for under $450 shipped.

I'll be keeping my current 250GB SATA Western Digital and eVGA 6800gs untill the 8800gt drops to about 220.

It sounds like youre set on Intel but I would still recommend looking at AMDs chips.

It sounds like youre set on Intel but I would still recommend looking at AMDs chips.

Don't listen to him, Intel is the Nvidia and AMD is the ATI of the CPU world, AMD and ATI are the same now right?

Intel is the Nvidia and AMD is the ATI of the CPU world

I don't think that analogy holds water. Intel performs awesome, but prices are higher. AMD may be behind slightly, but the lower prices more than make up for the minescule difference in performance. Bottom line: anything you buy today in the mid-high end market, from either manufacturer, will have amazing performance. It really is all down to personal preference.

I happen to favor AMD because I have had nothing but good experiences with their reliabilty, performance and customer service. I'm not knocking Intel, I just havent had much experience with their products.

Meh, I want a Core 2 Duo. They're hot.

i need core 2 duo for my graphics work :) time to upgrade when i get some money

So to get back on topic -- is it worth waiting for a price drop on the 8800 GT? Or is it a while off and/or won't be that much?

Maybe it will drop quite a bit but probably not for a while, with the new Radeon hd3800 cards out, which is cheaper then the 8800GT, that might help with the drop in price, but then the 8800GT is still the better card. Also according to TomsHardware.com the 8800GT will be shipped in low numbers till January.

Yeah, I was planning on waiting until February or something, but man, that's 3 months off.

I think I'm just gonna go for it...

Okay, so time to hammer out final choices.

Video Card

Which manufacturer?

All are $269, hence me picking them over the more expensive ones. They are stock clocked which is fine as I can OC them it myself if I want to.

CPU

Worth the extra $68 for the additional power? Obviously I'd like as much power as I can get and have it last as long as possible, but price vs. performance...

Motherboard

Seems you guys recommend this one, so no questions here.

RAM

Again, no questions here. I love OCZ and wouldn't go with anything else.

Are the timings decent though? Bit rusty.

Audio Card

I'm rocking an Audigy 2 ZS. It's a great card, but my sister still has a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (aka a piece of shit), so I'm thinking I upgrade this as well as sell my A2 as well to her for cheap (already selling her my 6800 GT for like $50).

Any suggestions? I'm thinking the Audigy 4 or X-Fi or whatever, like this one:

Fuck that's a lotta money for an audio card. Worth it? Or should I tell her "oh well" and to just buy her own Audigy 2 ZS?

Thought about the eVGA 8800GT? They offer their 90day upgrade, which means that if a better card comes out in the next 90days eVGA will upgrade for you, you just pay the price difference..

Or i'd just get the XFX for their lifetime warranty, i have heard really good things about their customer service.

The Allendale is apparently not a good overclocker, the temp. goes up really quickly, don't know if your planning on overclocking but the Conroe will easily reach 3.0+

Edit: Prices will fall on the 8800GT when the new 8800GTS comes out before x-mas