Planning To Get A Used Car

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
Within the next year or two, I will have enough money to buy a new (used) car. I already have my sights set on a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE A5 (5-speed auto). I don't want anything earlier than 2005 because that was the year that the Altima got a nicer face lift and a much better interior. I was planning to get the 2.5SE, but it is only a little bit more fuel-efficient, has 75HP less, and is a little bit cheaper. And plus the Nissan VQ35DE engine has gotten many awards. I found some examples for around $12000-$14000 that have around 100000kms. In a few years they will be worth around $9000-$11000.

Am I making a good decision, or should a look more at the Accord/Camry/Mazda 6?

Thanks.

Last edited:
There are no major problems that I can think of with the car; the V6 and 5 speed auto is a reliable pair.

BTW, I work in the parts department of a Nissan / Subaru dealer.

BTW, I work in the parts department of a Nissan / Subaru dealer.

Heeey, how bout that. I used to work at a Nissan parts department too.

Regarding the car, you might want to flag down Vette Boss. I believe he owns an Altima, but I'm not sure what trim level he has. I think there are others that have Altimas on this board but he's the only one I know of for sure.

I believe Vette Boss has a 2003 3.5SE. I would like his opinion, but the 2005 3.5SE has 250HP (vs. 240 for 2003) and it has the 5-speed auto (vs. 4-speed in 2003.)

The Nissan 5-speed autobox is a BIG improvement over the 4-speed, it's much smoother and the extra cog grants you improved performance and fuel economy.

This car is so refined, you almost don't know the speed you're going at, the engine is phenomenal, it has so much torque for a V6. I haven't driven the newer ones, but I can only presume they've improved quite a bit. You get a much improved interior, smarter looking wheels, some new choices for paint colour, some better options packages with sat nav and such.

Desired spec is the 3.5SE 5-speed auto with black leather or cloth interior and preferably a darker colour, the blue is nice.

nowai.jpg

The Nissan 5-speed autobox is a BIG improvement over the 4-speed, it's much smoother and the extra cog grants you improved performance and fuel economy.

This car is so refined, you almost don't know the speed you're going at, the engine is phenomenal, it has so much torque for a V6. I haven't driven the newer ones, but I can only presume they've improved quite a bit. You get a much improved interior, smarter looking wheels, some new choices for paint colour, some better options packages with sat nav and such.

Desired spec is the 3.5SE 5-speed auto with black leather or cloth interior and preferably a darker colour, the blue is nice.

Good to hear! I am planning to get one in the dark gray colour (even black is uglier). And I'm not a fan of the blue.

74447.3.z.jpg

Edit: Does anyone know what kind of trip computer the '05 Altima has? How does it show how much fuel is left (other than the fuel gauge)? And Nissan recommends premium fuel; do I really need it, or can I put regular (87 octane) fuel without any problems.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You can put 87 in, but you will get lousy mileage, thus negating the price difference.

Ever think about getting an 04 Maxima? Its quicker and the last maxima model to not get those stupid CVT transmissions.

You can put 87 in, but you will get lousy mileage, thus negating the price difference.

Exactly how "lousy" will the mileage be compared to premium?

Exactly how "lousy" will the mileage be compared to premium?

I've noticed it's a bit sluggish off the line with cheaper fuel. In the manual, it recommends mid-grade 91 anyway. No need to spend more than that, since no more performance is gained from it. :) I'm averaging about 23-34mpg with it, a bit less if my right foot gets a bit happy.

Oh and BTW Nissan "recommends" premium fuel (what is that supposed to mean?). If I do choose premium should I use 89 or 91?

Buying anything more than the 2.5 is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Go with an older one, fabric interior, 2.5, and save money. It'll get the job done just as well and you won't have wasted your cash.

Altima's are great transportation, but that's all they are.

Steve

is this really a car enthusiast site? the KA25 engine is very nice but I wouldn't say it's great in anything bigger than the sentra. The maxima has a 5AT in 05 and 06. They didn't goto the CVT until the 07. My call? forget the altima and get an 03 Maxima SE and never look back. the 6sp manual is rare but it's such a BEAST it's worth it. with very little-to-no mods they can take IS350s out. I had an 03SE auto and I don't care what you say, I personally think the 04AT was more smooth, with the CVT in the 07 being the smoothest. the difference in interior materials between an Altima and a max is SO worth it!

I would definitely take the '05 Altima 3.5 over the '03 Maxima. The Altima is a bigger car (inside and out), it has the 5-speed semi-auto (with manual mode) vs. Maxima's 4-speed (and I don't know how to drive manual so I will only get an auto), it is only 5HP down from the Maxima, but has a 3 ft/lbs of torque advantage, it is more fuel efficient, has a bigger tank, will probably be more reliable and I don;t know what you like about the Maxima's interior; it's just like any other boring Nissan interior from that time ('03 Altima has the same which put me off), and the '05 Altima has a really nice interior. I don't really like the styling of any Maxima; the only one I slightly like is 1995-1999 model that my friend has (1996 SE 5-speed).

Edit: And about choosing the 3.5 over the 2.5. I heard that the 2.5 has many problems and I just think that, although it has plenty of power, the 3.5 doesn't have to work as hard, so that means it will last longer and that's why the 2.5 only gets slightly better fuel consumption. The 3.5 was also voted the top 10 best engine for a long time. :D

Last edited: