The DMotor Subtitle Project [Check first post for links]

Ok I am seeding, should help a bit.

By the way posted ep 34-38 on 2 motoring trackers, 17 downloads so far.

Last edited:
Just watched the Viper vs. Corvette video that thedguy posted in the video offers section.

Fantastic job by all the people associated with this project. In the past I'd obtain DMotor & occasionally ask a German fellow that I work with to translate some of the tests. While he was more than happy to provide a narration, this is a much better idea! :D

DMotor is such a great show. With any luck your hard work translating each episode will pay off (like the talk of Discovery channel airing the program outside of Germany with your subtitles).

Keep up the great work guys!

Cheers.

Yeah, I will watch this one after I finish the new Clarkson DVD...which I received in a completely legal and legitimate way:rolleyes:.

Great job from the team :bow:

The download numbers for the Torrent and FileFactory are 12 and 34 respectively, Fabre also posted it on a few other sites and reported ~60 downloads. Now I am waiting to hear beack from MotorVision/Discovery.

So is the project on hold until they give a response?

The download numbers for the Torrent and FileFactory are 12 and 34 respectively, Fabre also posted it on a few other sites and reported ~60 downloads. Now I am waiting to hear beack from MotorVision/Discovery.

I think the number of downloads is going to grow even more, I got very positive feedback from the people who downloaded it.
Now I am going to seed the previous episodes as well to continue generating new viewers.

After having seeded both subtitles only and Video with the subtitles, I believe distribution wise it's better to seed the subtitles together with the episode, lot of people can't be bothered downloading the subtitles and video from 2 separate sources.
I also think that ideally you would also want the subs to be embedded rather than in a separate file. Make the whole process of viewing the show more painless to new viewers.

If you are satisfied with the number of downloads, why wait on MotorVision/Discovery to continue with the project?
What you are doing is great for them, you are broadening their audience to English speakers and if the level of download of the subbed episodes reach Top Gear or Fifth Gear level, it will give them a good case to sell the program to other channels and release a subbed or dubbed DVD.
While it's obvious the D Motor team must be pleased by your project, I would expect a more cautious answer from the channel executives.
For peace of mind you can always add a disclaimer like in Fansub animes "Not for sale, rent or eBay" and specify distribution is to be stopped as soon the show is licensed to an English TV channel or a DVD is released.
And in the worse case of a cease and desist letter just pull the plug, and that's it.
Having said that I have never heard of a fansub group being sued, very popular Fansubs are often a stepping stone to distribution in the US so I wouldn't worry too much about MotorVision/Discovery approval.

Anyway Love D Motor keep on the great work :thumbsup:

And if I can be of any help, please let me know what I can do.

A cease and desist letter can be quite costly in Germany as the recipient pays the attorney fees and that are based on a theoretical value of a claim (estimated by the attorney). Offering hard-subbed episodes opens a even bigger can of worms with the recent revamp of European copyright legislation. So why not wait until we have an official answer?

A cease and desist letter can be quite costly in Germany as the recipient pays the attorney fees and that are based on a theoretical value of a claim (estimated by the attorney). Offering hard-subbed episodes opens a even bigger can of worms with the recent revamp of European copyright legislation. So why not wait until we have an official answer?

Is there really anything they can do to you (or anyone else involved) for just offering a subtitle file? You aren't distributing any copyrighted material, that they own anyhow, by doing it this way.

Fabre: send me a PM with the sites you are posting these on (I know one of 'em as I saw the torrent just a few minutes ago), and I'll help you seed.

My attempts broaden the audience failed on account that the site I posted on was full of a bunch of lazy morons who bitch because something free requires them to install a common codec.

Really enjoying the translations ... I can tell a lot of work has gone into them, as it's really hard to translate vernacular :p

Good luck with MotorVision/Discovery. It IS a nice surprise that they're considering giving up the original scripts. Guess some corporates are realizing that this kind of exposure, albeit illegal, will be beneficial to them ...

Keep it up!!!

PS: Is there any way we can express our support of the "The DMotor Subtitle Project" directly to MotorVision/Discovery?

Last edited:
Hi,

Is the translation project still running? I have DMotor episodes 42 & 43 but sadly no subtitles :cry:

I am very much enjoying DMotor & really do appreciate the work people have put in to creating the English subtitles for the show.:thumbsup:

If anyone on the "subtitle team" feels like responding, I'd love to read your response(s) especially if the subtitles are going to continue to be made :D

:beer:+:cheers: to you all!

Last edited:
It's on hold until Discover/Dmax responds back about letting the project continue. German law says they are violating the copyright with the project so without permission our translators could be sued into oblivion.

Thanks for responding thedguy.

On a personal level, it will suck if this project gets shut down for legal reasons BUT I wouldn't want people risking getting sued over subtitles so we can watch a TV show.

Wait & see I guess...and perhaps learn some German in the meantime :D (I really should anyway, my father & Aunt were born there)

Thanks again to the people who have introduced DMotor to viewers outside Germany!

Cheers.