Bullitt Mustang in Production....

Why did you buy a 2005 Harley Davidson SOFTAIL??? Something a bit more manly would have sold the whole "I live in San Francisco but I think I'm a Bad Ass Hells Angel" idea a bit more!:lol::lol::lol:

A bit more manly? Now do explain...
Ass.

There is some tweaks to the Mustang that makes this a Bullitt but nothing to lose sleep over. Still a live rear, and still not the best look inside. Also why a 5 speed? A 6 Speed would have sold the whole sport idea bit more.

First live axle mention, 3rd post down (from the bump)? That's gotta be a record.

This car should come with the hard-to-find Lalo Schifrin soundtrack to the movie. That thing's a goddamn unicorn.

And there's nothing with owning a Softail...when did having rear shocks on a Harley become such a crime? :?

Buy basic mustang
-Add American Racing Torq-Thrust Rims (Anthracite)
-Paint Calipers Red
-Paint Car Green

Done.

Don't forget to remove the front grille and bash a big dent in the side (it looked dented before the chase)

Buy basic mustang
-Add American Racing Torq-Thrust Rims (Anthracite)
-Paint Calipers Red
-Paint Car Green

Done.

From TFA:

The 18" Bullitt wheels recall those on the original, but the brake calipers are now painted a dark grey so as not draw attention to themselves.

FAIL

A bit more manly? Now do explain...
Ass.

Oh, I don't know. There's just something about Softail and San Francisco that goes together. Ass, indeed.:lol::lol:

Live rear axles are fine on a racetrack. Its when you hit some nice patchy bit of tarmac on a back road that they want to spit you arse-first into the nearest tree.
Christ, how did I ever survive years of driving live-axle vehicles? :lmao: Ever driven anything with a solid rear axle? Maybe if you hit a speedbump, sideways, at 60mph, you might have to worry. But yes, on a smooth roadcourse the differences are minimal, and it's ideal for drag racing.

Yes, there are now 57 different new Mustangs out there, but this one looks pretty good. The simple styling cues really cleaned the car up.

Christ, how did I ever survive years of driving live-axle vehicles? :lmao: Ever driven anything with a solid rear axle? Maybe if you hit a speedbump, sideways, at 60mph, you might have to worry. But yes, on a smooth roadcourse the differences are minimal, and it's ideal for drag racing.
Live axles, leaf springs, pushrods, leaded fuel, steel dashboards...they really WERE the Greatest Generation, it's a miracle our parents survived to bear us! :lol:

Live Real axles are fine for race track? if its a track that i a 1/4 mile long, and straight...
I do understand (as in I have driven) how it works because my dad has an 01 Mustang V6 which has the live rear axle. Here is a simple explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_axle .

Things are different about Leaf Strings as we see that they can be tuned for proper use on race track, same goes for push rods. The problem with live axle is that in terms of track use it does not provide anything of value. And with people on this forum tend to be people who prefer car that are fast around the bend, not in the straight line. Also new tech is better, no matter how well you work with a Push Rod system, it will be out down by a proper setup OHC. Even Harley uses OHC with there race bikes and now on some of there street bikes.

A properly setup live axle can work very effectively with a proper setup. Put some stiff anti-roll bars (v6 cars dont have any at all) and torque arm and a watts link while eliminating the upper control arms, with some nice coil-overs and you will have a very well setup suspension, for the rear at least. Yes they can skip from bump to bump at the limit, but this is a street car, and most people will drag race it anyways.

That said, the level of my dissapointment at this car is HUGE. Its just a completely pathetic effort by Ford.

Heres a PS i did last night, to clean up the front end, make it look a little more muscular/aggressive, but still keep it subtle like the original:
bullittcopy.jpg

Whatever your opinion on Mustangs, "limited editions" or live axles, a few things remain true:

If Europeans could buy a V8 Mustang and run it for what we in the United States pay ($25,000 and $3.00/gallon regular unleaded), how many would give up their little shitboxes?

I know those diesel Kias with independant rear suspension and coil springs would be tough to give up!:lol::lol:

In the United States pay ($25,000 and $3.00/gallon regular unleaded), how many would give up their little shitboxes?

I know those diesel Kias with independant rear suspension and coil springs would be tough to give up!:lol::lol:

But your petrol is like piss, which is one reason why it's cheaper.

Ever driven anything with a solid rear axle? Maybe if you hit a speedbump, sideways, at 60mph, you might have to worry. But yes, on a smooth roadcourse the differences are minimal, and it's ideal for drag racing.

Yes, I have. A friend used to have an EH Holden which had been mildly worked whose rear end would love to skip sideways on the horrid bumpy roads around Sydney. And, no, you don't need to be doing anything like 60MPH, nor hit anything like a speedhump to get the rear end moving (and not in a controllable manner).

Eh, it's not so bad. IIRC you can get 98 octane at the pump around here. Plus ethanol is what, 106 octane? And you can go to any small airport or dragstrip and get some real high octane stuff.

As for the leaf spring, pushrod lulz, these new 'Stangs have OHC and coil springs at least. Unless I completely missed something.

Just what are you smoking in Hull? Sure American gasoline has lower octane, but our government taxes it on the average (city, state and federal) less than fifty cents per gallon.

Let me consider the proposition:

USA = $25,000 300 HP V8 live axle Mustang + $3.00/gallon piss gasoline

or

England = $25,000 100 HP Ford Focus + $8.00/gallon extra special primo British petrol

Wow! I can't decide. I guess I'll go out and drive my Mach1 Mustang, F250 diesel 4X4 pickup truck and Subaru Legacy GT turbo for a few hundred gallons and get back to you!

Oh! Lookie here what I found.....

According to the Fuel Tax Calculator on the Association of British Driver's website:

If the pump price is 90.1 pence/liter ( I know, it's higher now)
VAT = 17.5%
VAT per liter =13.54p
Petrol cost without VAT = 79.36 pence/liter
Fuel Tax per liter = 48.35p

TRUE FUEL COST BEFORE TAXES = 29.01 pence per liter
TOTAL TAX = 61.89 pence/liter

Including VAT on Fuel Tax (double taxation)= 8.46 pence/liter

Total British taxes on fuel = 213.82% THE HIGHEST IN THE WESTERN WORLD:blink::lol::blink:

Strict gun control in England does make it easier for Her Majesty's Government to rape its citizens, doesn't it?

Bend over and enjoy that Aston Martin!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Heres a PS i did last night, to clean up the front end, make it look a little more muscular/aggressive, but still keep it subtle like the original:
bullittcopy.jpg

So it's got a 2x4 tacked on the front instead of a bumper? :dunno:
Eh, I'm not a fan, but you get points for trying in my book.

More about American Piss Petrol!

In the United States, pump octane is an average of 2 ratings, research octane (RON) and motor octane (MON). If you look at any gas pump in the United States, you will see a yellow sticker that says "octane by R + M / 2" That is the basic formula for an average. Research Octane number is always higher than Motor Octane number.

In Europe, they only report the RON.

So, European 96 octane is eqvialent to American 92 octane in the States.

There is some tweaks to the Mustang that makes this a Bullitt but nothing to lose sleep over. Still a live rear, and still not the best look inside. Also why a 5 speed? A 6 Speed would have sold the whole sport idea bit more.

Don't forget pushrods...

Live rear axles are fine on a racetrack. Its when you hit some nice patchy bit of tarmac on a back road that they want to spit you arse-first into the nearest tree.

Live Real axles are fine for race track? if its a track that i a 1/4 mile long, and straight...
I do understand (as in I have driven) how it works because my dad has an 01 Mustang V6 which has the live rear axle. Here is a simple explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_axle .

Things are different about Leaf Strings as we see that they can be tuned for proper use on race track, same goes for push rods. The problem with live axle is that in terms of track use it does not provide anything of value. And with people on this forum tend to be people who prefer car that are fast around the bend, not in the straight line. Also new tech is better, no matter how well you work with a Push Rod system, it will be out down by a proper setup OHC. Even Harley uses OHC with there race bikes and now on some of there street bikes.

Clearly you guys have bought into the Top Gear hype of how bad a live axle is. :rolleyes:

Ok, lets take a regular mustang GT straight off the showroom floor, and put it in a Autocross with Lotus Elise's, WRX STi's, and one Lotus Exige.

Now this auto-x was taken in a very neglected parking lot. Potholes and loose Gravel everywhere. A disaster for a car with a Live rear axle you'd say right?

Wrong.

[YOUTUBE]HLOPNcWv9k4[/YOUTUBE]

Wait, how can that be? It didn't spin out or crash into a tree!?! Surely it must be a fluke! Lets see when another Live axle car goes through the course a couple of times...

[YOUTUBE]gf4uXM4-OIQ[/YOUTUBE]

So lets recap, both of your 'truth' on Live axles performace on loose surfaces...equal...

FAIL

Oh, and to add insult to injury. The Exige set a course time of .42 seconds. The Mustang GT did the course in .43 seconds and the big Impala did it in .45 seconds.

And before you ask, yes the Exige was being driven very hard, guy did kill 2 cones on his last run. :lol:

So, Live axle>you two. :)

Hahaha damn, beat me to it. This car is an overhyped, weak attempt at a limited edition Bullitt in my opinion (and the opinion of the majority of the Mustang community.)

Actually, I was dogging on Samir not reading the article before hating on it.