problems with .mkv

Corvu

Car(s)
'99 Cavalier
i am a bit of a noob when it comes to media files and i have been having problems with playing the hd polar special. it is a .mkv file. I down loaded media player classic, which plays the file, but the picture goes half the speed of the sound. i have a new computer with plenty of power. I downloaded vlc player as well, but that would not play the file at all. i could not find a converter to play it with wmp 11, which is what i have been using for other top gear, with a divx codec pack.

any suggestions?

Is this the high-def version? Do you know if your computer can even handle it?

it is the 720p version, my computer should be able to handle it. core duo 2.0 ghz with 4mb cache, 2gb ram, 256md nvidia geforce, 1650x1080 res.

ffdshow. Or cccp. Discussed like a million billion times...

Hmm...yeah, OK, it certainly can handle it. Check out the news archives a while back, I think there is a tutorial on getting HD to work.

I've given up on trying to play Matroska POS files. Always stuttered no matter which codec or player I used. It's a shitty codec, plain and simple.

matroska = container, x.264 = encoder, mpeg4 avc = codec, cvrefugee = fail, sorry...

Can I just ask why someone actually made the 7GB 1080p rip of the Polar Special? Can it play smoothly on ANYONES computer?

Last edited:
My c2d 6300 with coreavc runs it @ 30% with some minor 50% peaks...

OK. I tried the MPC. And it runs smoother. But the audio is still out of sync.

OK. I tried the MPC. And it runs smoother. But the audio is still out of sync.
Can you manually adjust it?
MPC binds the audio delay adjust to the numeric keypad plus and minus keys I think.
You shouldn't have to use them, and I didn't have any audio delay problems with the 1080p version, but maybe it will solve your problem.

Speedtouch never told us what machine or decoder he is using... Mpc uses the same filters as the other media players, so how the heck could it get any better with it?

By MPC, I mean everything ESPNSTI uses. Not just MPC on its own.

on media player classic, the sound is great, but the picture gets out of sync a couple times a minute, and then fixes itself. i downloaded ffdshow, but i dunno if i am supposed to plug that into the media player or something like that. like i said, i am a noob at this, so just saying things like ffdshow and cccp doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

matroska = container, x.264 = encoder, mpeg4 avc = codec, cvrefugee = fail, sorry...

I knew you were going to say that. Anyways, Matroska can sucks my balls. 1080p trailers from Apple work perfectly on my system, yet some lame-ass "container" developed primarily for the Anime tards stutters like crazy. And for the record, CCCP does not work with Vista, or it didn't when I tried it. VLC can't play .mkv for me either.

matroska=fail

And their shitty website doesn't even load.

matroska=fail

And their shitty website doesn't even load.

true. the site is rubbish.

still, anyone have any advice that doesn't include spitting out random letters? this seems to be a rather widespread problem.

Last edited:
I knew you were going to say that.

Good, then you know that I'm just teasing you... :mrgreen:

For problem elimination, I'd recommend for you guys to dl a 720p version of a tv show. Maybe off eztv.it
If your machines can't run this fine, its processing power, if it can, we gotta search on.

My first guess would be, while you installed coreavc its not being used, and ffdshow is only singlethreaded and maxes out your CPU. You could also try something that is GPU supported like... Dunno... Whatever GPU you got...

thanks. it works perfectly now.