[10x04] November 4th, 2007

I'm dissappointed they didn't adorn their rides anti-African slogans and then fake an attack at the gas station.

Oh, and I would've liked to see how the Beetle crossed the river (though I would understand if it was edited for time).

Last edited:
I loved this ep...usually I judge the quality of the episode by how many times I stop it partway through. Even though I had just come home from the gym and was starving and really wanted to shower, I watched the episode through without stopping. It was compelling!

The one thing I didn't like was the use of that meat to stink up James' car. Here, half the friggin continent is starving and might get good meat/protein three times a year if they're lucky, and along come the big rich white men who can throw meat around in their friends' cars for fun. Not cool.

excellent adventure, amazing filmography! Personally, I really admire the top gear production team, with so many breakdowns having to be fixed by the crew... I can't believe they got the cars working again and again.. Good job there.

And the african stig was brilliant! :D

I really enjoyed the episode, the Beetle was very funny as was Richard and his Oliver :D

I have a strong suspicion that the beetle made it through the journey quite alright. Its rear engined so it has excellent traction. The flat 4 is air cooled so you never have to worry about cooling, makes the same power as the opel too. They are super light, and are actually naturally buoyant (for a certain amount of time) Beetles are just rugged and dependable, and I was into them hugely for a time. I would have picked a beetle from the start!

I think the reason Jeremy hates the Beetle is because it was one of the few cars ever made that was cheap and high quality. My friend fully restored a 1968 Beetle and I discovered why I have seen in my lifetime many Beetle owners pop open their windows before closing the door after getting in; the car is built so tightly when I shut the door I could feel the pressure difference in my ears.

I can see why they were built up to a few years ago, they were just...great cars.

Does anybody else see Kadett and think of a Nissan engine, or is it just me.....

lol great episode, loved it...IMO better than the americian one...no one had their seat belts on...tsk tsk

I did find it funny that they were trying to make a point of about four-wheel-drives in the UK, but the camera crew were all driving offroaders.

...the car is built so tightly when I shut the door I could feel the pressure difference in my ears.

I can see why they were built up to a few years ago, they were just...great cars.
Yes, and that hurts badly when you already have a headache, as I have experienced myself. The Beetle is actually so tight it can float, as some people discovered when they tried to swindle their insurance company by pushing it into a lake. :blink:

My friend fully restored a 1968 Beetle and I discovered why I have seen in my lifetime many Beetle owners pop open their windows before closing the door after getting in; the car is built so tightly when I shut the door I could feel the pressure difference in my ears.

Even my 1981 VW Scirocco is like that. It has around 80K original miles with very good door/hatch seals and I usually crack the window slightly closing the door, or have to give it a little extra pull for it to latch completely.

I have absolutely no intention of finding out if it can float tho'. :no:

I'm dissappointed they didn't adorn their rides anti-African slogans and then fake an attack at the gas station.

Oh, and I would've liked to see how the Beetle crossed the river (though I would understand if it was edited for time).

the attack at the gas station was real, it's in Hammond's book as the reason he started somking again.

This was such a fun to watch! Just Top Top Gear, nothing else to say, I think there is no wonder why the show won the reward last week - simply the BEST! "Oliver" behaved very very well, if only Richard didn't drawn it :p but as mercedes fan I can say I am in love with 230 merc. I think I want to drive an old crappy car right now, and I have one in the garage - it is LADA 2101 with no brakes but I think it will be managable. :)

You live in Boston and you have a Lada?
:?

(I'm from Worcester originally.)

incredible, absolutely incredible

did they make a version of the kadett in the states? if so, put me down for one.
Since you've got a Georgia Tech avatar, did you notice that guy with the yellow GT sweatshirt in the background? I thought that was pretty cool (would have been better if he had a Syracuse sweatshirt instead).

And they used to sell them in Buick dealers as the Isuzu Bellet Gemini from 1967 to 1972, according to Wikipedia. Nevermind the horrid Daewoo beater later sold as a Kadett and in the States as the blasphemous Pontiac LeMans. :yucky:

Last edited:
I have a strong suspicion that the beetle made it through the journey quite alright. Its rear engined so it has excellent traction. The flat 4 is air cooled so you never have to worry about cooling, makes the same power as the opel too. They are super light, and are actually naturally buoyant (for a certain amount of time) Beetles are just rugged and dependable, and I was into them hugely for a time. I would have picked a beetle from the start!

Can't agree more.

What did they do with the cars after?

If I was Hammond, I would take "Oliver" back to his home in the UK :p

the attack at the gas station was real, it's in Hammond's book as the reason he started somking again.

Yeah, so? ("For several moments, our TV show became . . . a book!")

It amazes me that there are people who don't think it's strange that the attack/chase wasn't filmed despite all the cameras present.

Upon first watching that segment, I really didn't think much of it. It just came across as a joke, obviously fake like the caravan fire (though not as funny). I seriously doubted that they were trying to deceive anyone, even when I saw that so many here bought it hook, line, and sinker. That would just make the joke better. But to hear that Hammond is treating it with such a serious tone (claiming that it drove him to smoke) rather than in a tongue-in-cheek fashion . . . well, that's more than a bit disappointing.

It amazes me that there are people who don't think it's strange that the attack/chase wasn't filmed despite all the cameras present.

Upon first watching that segment, I really didn't think much of it. It just came across as a joke, obviously fake like the caravan fire (though not as funny). I seriously doubted that they were trying to deceive anyone, even when I saw that so many here bought it hook, line, and sinker. That would just make the joke better. But to hear that Hammond is treating it with such a serious tone (claiming that it drove him to smoke) rather than in a tongue-in-cheek fashion . . . well, that's more than a bit disappointing.

I think it is fairly certain that it was real. The presnters had been talking about it before the show came out. Why, iif it was fake, would they not have footage of the chase?

That was just brilliant!! One of the best ep's ever!!

Laughed all the way! Oliver...Lancia Beta Coupe Superleggera...road warrior Mad Jeremy...the Beatle from hell :D:D Hillarious!!

and the scenery, epic!!

It all looked so damn good! Came together perfectly IMO!
and the boys were playing along so nicely.

And when I saw the African Stig, first thought, Hamilton :D

all in all, great, great ep!!

Top Gear is about light hearted entertainment, the attack wasn't light hearted nor funny. It was real, why would he lie about it in his book??