Best way to rip DVDs to .avi for newbie?

Ottobon

Car(s)
2 Rust buckets and a confused 1999 American.
Don't mean to be whoring out this section of the message board, but its been a rough and boring day and i have some actual questions for once.

I was wondering what the best way to rip DVD to AVI file are, i have no intention on uploading as the file are already on the internet, its more that i just want to have a slightly higher quality version on my computer.

Short Story: I downloaded all seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force and then realized i like the show enough to buy the DVDs (i also had too much leftover Bestbuy Gift cards, and the DVDs were on sale.) I soon realized that i vastly preferred just watching the videos on the computer due to the simplicity of click and play, compared to starting up the DVD player, ,going through warner brothers logo, FBI warning, going through two menus, do i want commentary? and then finally the show (all of which i can't pause or rewind as easily)

So basically i just want a better then average quality rip (same quality as 700mb Topgear rip would be nice), how can i do this?

*lots of words but some sense here hopefully!*

Rip the DVD files using a program such as DVD Decrypter, which although old should still work with many DVDs. If you find that your DVD is problematic and DVD Decrypter is giving lots of error messages, that particular DVD may have newer copy protection to make it harder to rip. Usually a google search with the name of the DVD and words like problem/unable etc. should yield good results.

Once you have the .vob files (the DVD files) and .ifo files on your hard disk you can then 'rip' them to .avi. Auto Gordian Knot (Auto GK or just AGK) is a commonly used program and is about as user friendly as programs come. For any terms that you may not be aware of, such as 'AC3 audio', a quick google search will once again help a lot.

Once you set up the options and how you want to encode the file (you can have a look at the guides on the AGK website or other guides on the internet which will point you in the right direction in terms of filesize, desired bitrate, desired audio and so on) you can then press rip or convert (haven't used it in a while) and, depending on the speed of your computer, you can then leave your computer to crunch away encoding.

Hopefully I haven't just said what is the doom9 guide! doom9 is a very good forum for this sort of thing, so it's worth having a look around.

Last edited:
WinAVI Video Converter is all you will need.