Tough Crowd

Hey I'm not saying that my opinion is the only right one... just saying that there is no such thing as a sporty automatic. There is no such thing as a sporty automatic. And personally I think that whatever the driving conditions, traffic or weather,, if you like to put in the effort a manual is way better. I say this because I have been driving 5 years of manual only car and it has never bothered me. I actually enjoy it.

I have never thought "Gee I wish I had an auto." Allso personally, I think that people that think that way are lazy. Again you don't have to agree with it. You don't need to proove me wrong because you cannot.

Manual. For. Ever.

I have said enough in this thread. Wether you agree with me or not I really do not care. The people who drive manuals and enjoy it as much as I do know what I am talking about. That's good enough for me. Even in the example The Finn posted, I would probably like to drive that car in traffic. What you gotta realize is that shifting is a part of driving and it should be every time you step in the car.

Sure most often driving is just getting from A to B. But still, when you sit in traffic, most of the time it is the waiting that pisses you off. Not the fact that you have to use a manual to change gears.

Last edited:
I enjoy driving a manual very much. I love to drive, i almost always want to drive. But, even though i've only had my license for 4-5 months, i have sometimes been thinking "an auto would be nice right now", when i've been in traffic or a que somewhere. It's like cruise control, it's a method of taking away the tedious bits of driving in a given situation. Even though you can't just turn off an autop like you can cruise control.. =) Which is why i'd always buy a manual. It's just more fun when you're in a situation where you actually get to enjoy the driving experience, instead of being stuck behind someone else.

An auto does have it's justification, and in the end it's all down to personal preference. Autos are getting so good by now, that there's not really any other argument for not picking it, than what you like the best; a manual or an auto.

An auto does have it's justification, and in the end it's all down to personal preference. Autos are getting so good by now, that there's not really any other argument for not picking it, than what you like the best; a manual or an auto.

Auto's are getting quite awesome. Consider that even GM's automatics are now getting the ability to properly rev-match for downshifts, and even automatically downshift during braking, properly holding gear like a manual would until the driver tells it to shift.

I'd say it's got every benefit of a manual without the tedium during the boring commute.

No surprise the G35 won here...great car for its' price. On the topic of manual and automatics I would take a DSG GTi vs 6SPD GTi anyday.

^ It does, the BMW's interior looks generic and very dreary. Without the nav system the dash looks empty and with it you get I-drive. The CTS interior is actually interesting (if a bit overdone).

I agree the CTS interior is more interesting and takes more chances, however, it still does not look good.

The BMW interior is dreary, lacks soul, but it clean and tolerable.

Basically the CTS interior is like the ugly girl that tries to dress sexy, yielding mixed results, while the BMW is the plain jane girl who doesnt dress to impress or dress terrible, shes just there.

Auto's are getting quite awesome. Consider that even GM's automatics are now getting the ability to properly rev-match for downshifts, and even automatically downshift during braking, properly holding gear like a manual would until the driver tells it to shift.

I'd say it's got every benefit of a manual without the tedium during the boring commute.

I agree, once dual clutch technology becomes more prevalent among different automakers, true manual trannies will only have a place among diehard purist drivers who want the undiluted experience, otherwise the DSG type sequential boxes are all around more convinient and perform better with faster shifts.

Manual. For. Ever.

I have said enough in this thread. Wether you agree with me or not I really do not care. The people who drive manuals and enjoy it as much as I do know what I am talking about. That's good enough for me. Even in the example The Finn posted, I would probably like to drive that car in traffic. What you gotta realize is that shifting is a part of driving and it should be every time you step in the car.

Sure most often driving is just getting from A to B. But still, when you sit in traffic, most of the time it is the waiting that pisses you off. Not the fact that you have to use a manual to change gears.

I used to be inflexible and militant like you, then i grew up. Honestly, i've been driving nothing but stick for the last 12 years, and now i'm sick of it, esp with day to day commuter traffic and my knee making funny grinding/popping sounds when i'm working the clutch pedal. You can drive nothing but stick til the day you die and that's fine, that's your perogative, but don't dump on ppl and call them 'lazy' for wanting better automatics or saying that they should *want* to drive MT only. I agree everyone should know how to drive MT, but as far as owning one for driving every day in commuter traffic, i'll be polite and say sod off.

Last edited:
I agree, once dual clutch technology becomes more prevalent among different automakers, true manual trannies will only have a place among diehard purist drivers who want the undiluted experience, otherwise the DSG type sequential boxes are all around more convinient and perform better with faster shifts.

The only difference, as far as the driver is concerned, with many of these new Automatics or Paddle shift trannies is that they lack a clutch pedal. So I fail to see how anyone can really argue that you can't have a sporty auto.

I want to go test out the new CTS as well as the G8 when it comes out, the reviews all say the transmission is quite good, especially when manually operated.

I used to be inflexible and militant like you, then i grew up. Honestly, i've been driving nothing but stick for the last 12 years, and now i'm sick of it, esp with day to day commuter traffic and my knee making funny grinding/popping sounds when i'm working the clutch pedal.

Since you and I have really the same setup, I am surprised it tires you this much. The pedal in my WRX is feather light compared to my past cars, a Sunfire, a Grand Am and a Fiero.

Since you and I have really the same setup, I am surprised it tires you this much. The pedal in my WRX is feather light compared to my past cars, a Sunfire, a Grand Am and a Fiero.

Do you drive in the equivalent of los angeles gridlock traffic?

Where is exactly is Lil Osaka?

Not in japan, that's for sure. It's the same as when someone says they live in the 'Little Italy' district in a city...and the city is not in Italy.

Not in japan, that's for sure. It's the same as when someone says they live in the 'Little Italy' district in a city...and the city is not in Italy.

I knew that (I used to live next to Little Saigon)... I just want to know where Lil Osaka is. I know there are parts of LA that are heavy in Japanese but I don't know if it's got it's own title, same goes for San Francisco