Help end world hunger, one definition at a time

Koenig

Stumbled across a cool site today, http://www.freerice.com/

Basically, the site gives you words to define. Everytime you correctly define a word, the sponsors (shown at the bottom of the page) donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program. At the same time, you get to increase your vocab!

While I still think that the people in these countries need ways to grow food for themselves rather than continuously receive food from charity organizations, I think this is a pretty cool idea.

440 grains before I got disinterested.

What a great game!

I'm saving more starvin' children than YOU

Great!

Combined, you all just wasted a total of 4 hours....time you could have spent at work, even at minimum wage, and paid for 20 pounds of rice to feed a family for a month.

Great!

Combined, you all just wasted a total of 4 hours....time you could have spent at work, even at minimum wage, and paid for 20 pounds of rice to feed a family for a month.

So you work all hours of the day? I sure don't, 8hrs a day for me. Just happened to spend 20mins of spare time while browsing the web. Nice job making an ass of yourself.

I think you miss the logic. If you're so concerned with "sending rice" to the hungry, 10 grains at a time, it would be far more effective to send the $3 you could have made and bought a shitload more food through direct donation to the UN.

Awesome concept love it, wished more people cared about the developing nations, but this is a start.

I think it's a wonderful thing they're doing. The problem with charities is that most people don't care enough to donate money or time. This one lets people make a difference in just a few minutes and with easy mouse clicks. Plus you get a better vocabulary in return. Brilliant!

Got 3230 grains of rice in about 30 minutes enough to feed a family for a short amount of time I would hope.

Got 3230 grains of rice in about 30 minutes enough to feed a family for a short amount of time I would hope.

3 230 grains = 209.300479 grams (google)
209 grams = 0.460766128 pounds (google)

A familiy would need some meat to go with the rice to be fed unfortunatly.

Nice gesture by everybody anyway. Hope it really goes to somebody that needs it.

/i went to 1000 grains then got bored.