New Vector...

a pissing contest? you're kidding right?

its called being put into the record books for being the first to do it. its EXTREMELY funny that you didn't AT ALL include the Veyron into your post. it fits EVERYTHING with what you're talking about.

I'll try to explain;
-Shooting to get "put into the record books" is the pissing contest. The Veyron started it. Now, to win that contest, VW didn't need to sacrifice much, not reliability or comfort etc, the reason they didn't is because they were very thorough in their engineering and design. They have the resources to do that. The car was also always going to cost a LOT, and didn't need to be profitable. Few other companies have that luxury.

Now look at the other competitors in the pissing contest (the three i mentioned, though they were just select examples). They don't have such thorough design, engineering or resources. They have to do it by hacking together other peoples engines (2 of the 3 mentioned anyway) and hastily assembling interiors from Momo catalogues (the SSC at least). For these reasons, even if the cars are a few MPH faster, a few percent better in one category, I can't respect them as much, they're more like one trick poneys. It's just less impressive, even if they do "out-piss" them a little.

but what else is funny.....

is that every one of those companies you listed are American, and not one is Euro. so that could be the reason as to why you didn't.

An 'American playing the victim of disrespect' is as much of a clich? as the 'European acting superior' is. I don't buy either. Feel free to add non-American companies to my short list of cars, nationality has nothing to do with it. I don't know why they build their cars the way they do.

SSC will ALWAYS be remembered for beating a car that almost everybody thought was unbeatable. Hennessey will ALWAYS be remembered for beating that same car in a standing mile competition. and didn't Vector hold the speed record for a year right after the XJ220 did it and RIGHT before the McLaren F1 smashed both of them?
a

Well it's funny you should say that about the SSC, then mention the Vector beating the XJ220, this fact about the Vector illustrates a point. The SSC won't always be remembered, just like the Vector wasn't always remembered and the XJ220 and McLaren F1 were.

Anyway as I said this Vector looks pretty cool. I just won't take it seriously as an all-round car until they prove me wrong, because as I mentioned before, i can't imagine that small a company has the resources to create an 1800bhp car that isn't a one trick poney.

Elmo187 can you please provide prrof of the fact that Vector W8 was faster than the XJ220?
If I remember correctly the W8 struggled to get above 190mph despite the bold claims.

Wrong on all fronts. Watch the Fith Gear review. You can shut the traction control off, you can go nuts on a track, and it does handle well for its weight.

From what I've heard, key word there, it's like mercedes, it tells you it's off, but it's never completely off.
Elmo187 said:
SSC will ALWAYS be remembered for beating a car that almost everybody thought was unbeatable. Hennessey will ALWAYS be remembered for beating that same car in a standing mile competition. and didn't Vector hold the speed record for a year right after the XJ220 did it and RIGHT before the McLaren F1 smashed both of them?

Maybe by people who own a copy of the record book. I can only remember SSC's name because the owner took advantage of having the same name as Carol Shelby (and likely trying to get customers in the door with that name).

Elmo187 can you please provide prrof of the fact that Vector W8 was faster than the XJ220?
If I remember correctly the W8 struggled to get above 190mph despite the bold claims.

pwned.....
The W8 had an estimated top speed of 200+ mph (338 km/h). However, in testing at the Bonneville Salt Flats, the W-2 reached 242 mph (389 km/h) with the less powerful Donovan block; as reported by Top Wheels magazine.

meaning it was an unofficial top speed. which was never put into the books. so to people who have little to no knowledge of the W8 only know that the McLaren F1 took the official title from the XJ220.

that's 2 cars that had unofficial runs that beat previous records. Dauer did it with their 962 at 246mph.

Last edited:
I don't think that counts really. The W-2 was the prototype - only 1 or maybe 2 produced. Like you quoted - the actual production Vector had a claimed top speed of just 200mph. Nowhere near the XJ220 even the Diablo has a higher top speed. Speaking if which, there is a video on youtube of an early 2wd Diablo without a wing driven at the Nardo Ring and the speedo shows 340kph on an oval!
Vector has always been a company like Top Gear - ambitious but rubbish:)

Last edited:
From what I've heard, key word there, it's like mercedes, it tells you it's off, but it's never completely off.

Sounds likely. I suppose with all wheel drive it's hard to seperate and define exactly where efficient power-shuffling through the system ends and traction control begins.

This car is starting to grow on me in styling. I really hope this car does better than the previous attempts, though I'm doubtful of 270mph.

I like the way it looks. The supra headlights are a bit of a shortcut, and look pretty terrible. (not so much they look bad, but just because they couldn't develop their own headlights)

I think vector is one of the most intriguing auto companies ever made. I hope this sees production. I know I certainly would not mind having a W8.

^^^^ Lambo Diablo have Nissan 300zx lights. Even left the factory Nissan logo and part number on it. Thats a pointless thing to waste money on really. Especially when you're a small time manufacturer.

^^^^ Lambo Diablo have Nissan 300zx lights. Even left the factory Nissan logo and part number on it. Thats a pointless thing to waste money on really. Especially when you're a small time manufacturer.

Touche. :lol: I guess i'd rather have toyota headlights that look...well like toyota headlights, than vector headlights that...dont work.

270mph, haha! :D And it's very ugly.

Won't be even near 270.

Are you doubting the insane power of an American V8? A friend of mine had a 95 Mustang with a turbocharged 6.5 liter small block V8 (2100hp) that did 0-198 in 7.4 seconds.

A guy with a 800hp svt cobra went to the salt flats last year and did 214mph, thats in an very un-aerodynamic mustang. If this thing is even slightly slippery, with 1800hp, I can honestly see 300mph. Just think EIGHT HUNDRED MORE hp than a Veyron, in a lighter car.

I'd buy it if my name was Victor.

Are you doubting the insane power of an American V8? A friend of mine had a 95 Mustang with a turbocharged 6.5 liter small block V8 (2100hp) that did 0-198 in 7.4 seconds.

A guy with a 800hp svt cobra went to the salt flats last year and did 214mph, thats in an very un-aerodynamic mustang. If this thing is even slightly slippery, with 1800hp, I can honestly see 300mph. Just think EIGHT HUNDRED MORE hp than a Veyron, in a lighter car.

At those speeds you don't want light. Most guys going for anything near 300mph tend to put in dead weight to keep the car on the ground and for traction.

Also don't forget, that at the Salt flats it's very hard to hit the very high speeds, proof is in how hard it was just to cross the ones in Africa. Not to mention Bonneville is at a rather high sea level.

The way the article reads, it sounds as if they intend the 750hp version to magically do 270, with the 1800hp one to crack 300.

At those speeds you don't want light. Most guys going for anything near 300mph tend to put in dead weight to keep the car on the ground and for traction.

Also don't forget, that at the Salt flats it's very hard to hit the very high speeds, proof is in how hard it was just to cross the ones in Africa. Not to mention Bonneville is at a rather high sea level.

The way the article reads, it sounds as if they intend the 750hp version to magically do 270, with the 1800hp one to crack 300.

I agree that the 750hp version is pretty far fetched if they are claiming 270mph with it. But 1800hp, I think, should do 300mph.