Other UK TV shows?

negitek2

Hey,
I'm a loyal Top Gear Fan from the US, New York City.
I was wondering if any of UK fans could recommend me other popular UK TV shows, the genre doesn't matter but what other shows besides Top Gear interests you?

thanks.

^ Tried a few, couldn't stand it.

^^ IT crowd is very funny "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
An American version of this is coming, btw...

Lots of people like Docter WHo

I'd try:

I'm Alan Partridge
Have I Got News For You
QI
Absolutely Fabulous (I'm not gay...)
The Office (I actually like the US version more, but this is good too)
Jekyll (new, also shown in the US, just one series/season so far)
Planet Earth (again, shown in the US too, but a must-see)

Also I'm really weird so I've seen all of Michael Palin's travel documentaries which were shown on the BBC. They're really fun(ny) and informative. Give those a try if you like Monty Python or just Palin.

Last edited:
QI is fantastic - and all the episodes are up on YouTube. It's ostensibly a quiz show but it's more just plain comedy.

Have I Got News For You is a topical quiz show - recorded on the Thursday, shown on the Friday - about the past week's news. Again, the quiz element is almost non existant. A lot of it is based around either improv comedy skills or satire and it tends to be very, very funny. Some on YouTube.

Doctor Who is fantastic if you like SciFi. It's a British take on an American big-budget scifi show. It's great (if a little too obvious by one writer in their trying-to-copy-Joss-Whedon's-style).

I will think of some more later.

Red Dwarf, anyone?

Everything Gordon Ramsay and Heston Blumenthal. Also QI.

I can't take seriously a show that bills itself as "A quest to find Britain's best hamburger".

For that reason I will pass on the Blumenthal, please.

Spooks
QI
Have I Got News For You
The Gadget Show

Spooks
Little Britain
I'm Alan Partridge
Fifth Gear :D (sometimes)

The Apprentice

Ah yes. Forgot that. British Apprentice > American Apprentice.

Because Alan Sugar is cooler (owns a RR Phantom). Brentwood House is just next to where my Dad used to work (I've been outside it many times). And My Dad nearly got run over by him when Alan was still in his Bentley. And he doesn't have a huge ugly comb-over.

Ah yes. Forgot that. British Apprentice > American Apprentice.

Because Alan Sugar is cooler (owns a RR Phantom). Brentwood House is just next to where my Dad used to work (I've been outside it many times). And My Dad nearly got run over by him when Alan was still in his Bentley. And he doesn't have a huge ugly comb-over.

And the American Apprentice is just hour-long showcases for different sponsors.

The UK Apprentice is much less so.

Loved MI-5 when BBCA was showing its repeats.

And I've been hooked on Hollyoaks lately *runs for life*

Life On Mars. Just make sure you watch the episodes in order.
Yes. :yes:

Also, the British Office is good too, even though it's overhyped as the pinnacle of human achievement sometimes.