Crazy eights! MTM builds an 888-hp Audi R8

ahpadt

Forum Addict
The Audi R8 is apparently a tempting platform for tuners. We've seen sketches of the Abt Audi R8, we spotted the APR Audi R8 at the 2007 SEMA Show, and we recently took a look at the carbon fiberized PPI Audi R8.

MTM, those crazy Germans who built the twin-engine, 740-hp Audi TT Bimoto, brought their own version of the R8 to the Dubai Motor Show. Although visually subtle, a turbocharger system has been added to the 4.2-liter V8 for a total of 888 bhp and 610 lb-ft torque. 0-60 mph can be achieved in 3.0 seconds flat, and top speed is limited to 223 mph. MTM built the car, fittingly named the R888, as a one-off for a European customer, but they will gladly build more of them for a mere ?280,000 each.

AudiR888-3.jpg

AudiR888-1.jpg

AudiR888-5.jpg

AudiR888-4.jpg

AudiR888-2.jpg

Keep those bling bling wheels, but the rest: :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

LOVE the matte paint. With more subtle brushed aluminium wheels and ceramic brakes this would be a perfect car.

98+ octane, I was wondering how just a turbo could add so much power lol,

impressive nonetheless, I pretty much love every car now that doesnt have an electric motor somewhere under the hood

LOVE the matte paint. With more subtle brushed aluminium wheels and ceramic brakes this would be a perfect car.

Agreed. The solid color paint scheme alone does a lot.

98+ octane, I was wondering how just a turbo could add so much power lol,

impressive nonetheless, I pretty much love every car now that doesnt have an electric motor somewhere under the hood

Run it on E-85 and have them tweak the ecu for 900hp!

I was expecting to see awful bodykitted crap but instead...perfection!

:yes: I'd love to see it on brushed aluminum wheels. Not to take anything away from it now though, I think it looks great and I'm sure it runs like a bat out of hell.

it looks great, but I am not sure about the covered engine cover, I liked the glass one, where you could see the georgeous V8 :)

Higher and more reliable power can be had here in America for less than 1/10 of that price. I'm so glad I don't live in Germany. But if one can afford to dish out 280,000 Euros...it really doesn't matter.

Show us some examples of that, please.

Where did they put all the carbon fiber? The car still weights a whopping 1.8tons.
For 280k? they could atleast have replaced the bodyshell with carbon fiber, generally more carbon is required all around the car to drop the weight.

That's going to be painful as he just pulled that fact out his ass, let him heal up a little.

Well if this R888 costs 280,000 Euros, that means it's equivalent to $412,860 USD.
A tenth of that is $41,286 USD.
You can get a 2000 Mustang GT Coupe with less than 50,000 miles on it for less than $12,000 USD. That means you've got nearly $30,000 to spend.

There are some guys here that have high powered Mustangs that could verify the price of parts/maintenance.

bartboy is on the right path.

I must admit that my statement was a bit inflammatory and bold and a bit exaggerated. If you want similar results from a "tuner," then it would cost a bit more....aka from ppl like Heffner, Lingenfelter, etc. etc. However, as bartboy mentioned, many home-mechanics and enthusiasts, with the help of local shops, can relistically achieve incredible amount of power without spending a fortune. Just look at the new guy on here who has a SVT Cobra..he is looking for 700hp after a few relatively simple and cheap mods.

I apologize if I have offended/hurt-feelings. Let's not derail this thread any further and result in another EU vs USA poo-sling fest.

My apologies.

:)

My MTM fav is still the RS4:

[youtube]FBkX8GS5FoY[/youtube]

That supercharger whine :heart::heart:

Love the matte paint, makes it look very tough. How the hell have they added 300kg to an R8??? Turbo gear doesn't way THAT much!

My MTM fav is still the RS4:

[youtube]FBkX8GS5FoY[/youtube]

That supercharger whine :heart::heart:
The idle of that engine from the video through my subwoofer just rattled some stuff that hasn't been rattled in 2+ years of music, car videos, movies, etc. Holy crap.

I'm glad they didn't call it the 88 or 444 or somefuck.

Difficult number this 8 around here.