Porsche to Audi : "In the wise words of Nelson Muntz: Ha, Ha!"

Kowalski

Audi R8: Great car, shame about the advert. Audi received complaints about the sheer stupidity of the R8 advert.

TV's Worst Adverts - November 21st, 2007 - http://http://tvs-worst-adverts.co.uk/

Audi R8

There?s something not quite right about the Audi R8 advert and E-mails to Audi UK may show why.

First off the mobile phone giant T-Mobile had a complaint:

Date: 18/10/07
To: Audi UK

Dear Sirs

It is with consternation that I saw your latest advertisement for the Audi R8 last night.

Whilst the quality of the advertisement was excellent I feel obliged to point out that you are in breach of the Advertising Agency Standards Code (2005); specifically sub-section 4 which clearly states "The use of recorded material by folk singers and/or singer/songwriters is exclusively reserved for mobile phone companies."

We ourselves would not have used The Beep, Beep Song by Simone White
as it is bloody annoying but still consider the genre to be for our exclusive use.

Yours etc.

The next email was from respected motor journalist and TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson:

Date: 21/10/07

Sir

When oh when will you car companies have the balls to say what you really mean? Stop faffing around with ironic punch lines such as "The slowest car we?ve ever built."

Nobody cares that the car is more hand-intensively made than others. They care about one thing and one thing only.

Here?s my slogan for you and please feel free to use it: The Audi R8?Shit off a shovel!

Yours

Jeremy

And finally Porsche had a point to make:

Date: 24/10/07

Dear Sir

We hear that you are trying to compete with us in the supercar category. You will have noticed of course that Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini don?t advertise on television as mass advertising for a ?77,000+ product doesn?t seem to work.

In the wise words of Nelson Muntz: " Ha, Ha!"

[youtube]9YKH6eX-CJI[/youtube]

I couldn't agree more.

Seriously, don't even advertise a Supercar with a cheesy song in the background and finish the advert with a slogan that says "the slowest car we've ever built". It doesn't work.

Oh and I quite like Jeremy Clarkson's idea of a proper slogan for the R8.

Last edited:
It's like one of those bad TV slogan that u can never get it out of ur mind rofl :drums:

I don't see what all the fuss is about???

It's not a great ad but I don't see why there's so much hate about it. :?

A bad slogan??? Well, there are plenty of ad's with horrible slogans and nobody says a thing. There's so much hate with the R8 that at every wrong step they make there's somebody there to say: Haha!! You suckers!! You did it wrong again!!!!:?

I'm going to have to start the R8 Defender's Club! :p

Though I prefer the one which it's shown in Spain (and probably many other countries)

[YOUTUBE]http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=XeyfwSC1ZkE[/YOUTUBE]

I don't see what all the fuss is about???

It's not a great ad but I don't see why there's so much hate about it. :?

A bad slogan??? Well, there are plenty of ad's with horrible slogans and nobody says a thing. There's so much hate with the R8 that at every wrong step they make there's somebody there to say: Haha!! You suckers!! You did it wrong again!!!!:?

I'm going to have to start the R8 Defender's Club!:p

Which I shall be proud of being a member.

Really, I should point out the Audi R8 is a great car (I adore it), but shame about the horrible advert, really.

Which I shall be proud of being a member.

Really, I should point out the Audi R8 is a great car (I adore it), but shame about the horrible advert, really.

Yes! I think so!!! But laltely it seems like there more people hating it for no reason, that trying to understand what the R8 has achieved. And I say this bearing in mind that I'm a BMW fan, but I simply adore the R8.

This whole thing seems fake to me. The ad is perfectly fine. The song is abit annoying but this is far from the "worst advert ever!"

How and who got those email communicae?

Why would Clarkson call the R8 a "shit off a shovel" when he loves the car?

Maybe this is an experiment to see how gullible the internet is in regards to uncited/unsourced information?

The email from T-Mobile seems very unprofessional. Inter corporate communication about legal breaches and issues should be handled maturely.....and yet T-Mobile has clearly expressed their "distaste" for a fellow artist.

It's either this whole thing is fake OR the three complaints are extremely childish. In either case, the Audi R8 suffers the least amount of embarrassment. Unless you believe everything you read on the internet.

This whole thing seems fake to me. The ad is perfectly fine. The song is abit annoying but this is far from the "worst advert ever!"

How and who got those email communicae?

Why would Clarkson call the R8 a "shit off a shovel" when he loves the car?

Maybe this is an experiment to see how gullible the internet is in regards to uncited/unsourced information?

The email from T-Mobile seems very unprofessional. Inter corporate communication about legal breaches and issues should be handled maturely.....and yet T-Mobile has clearly expressed their "distaste" for a fellow artist.

It's either this whole thing is fake OR the three complaints are extremely childish. In either case, the Audi R8 suffers the least amount of embarrassment. Unless you believe everything you read on the internet.

1. Jesus you're slow.
2. "Shit off a shovel" means "very fast".
3. You're talking about gullible people?
4. Jesus, you're really slow.
5. Jesus, you're still slow, and now you're trying to think as well...

Jesus.
1. Jesus you're slow.
2. "Shit off a shovel" means "very fast".
3. You're talking about gullible people?
4. Jesus, you're really slow.
5. Jesus, you're still slow, and now you're trying to think as well...

1. Slow? How long did you think I took to raise the BS flag in my head?
2. Ah, didn't know that. UK english colloquialism. I live in USA.
3. Yup, and I'm glad to not be one of them.
4. Slow? How long did you think I took to raise the BS flag in my head?
5. What the hell?

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Did your girl friend or wife leave you for another man? Or are you just an asshole all the time?

I think the advert is fine, but the slogan is terrible lol.

Agreed. Well, the music is a bit hokey. I think it should have been: "Audi R8-craftsmanship knows no time limits" or something like that.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Did your girl friend or wife leave you for another man? Or are you just an asshole all the time?

Just most of the time :)

Sorry your post was just really funny. I have an image in my head of you as someone that reads Sniff Petrol as an F1 news site and thinks the advertisements are real.

popcorn.jpg

Yay! Front row seats for the impending eSlapFight.

Both adds are very well made, the first "Slowest care we have ever made" It shows nicely how well made the car is which the slogan ties in with nicely. I don't understand the hate for the Add or the Slogan at all.

I think its a good ad....I even like the slogan, it's just meant to say they take their time on it.

I don't mind the ad - and people seem to be missing the point, it's not just for the R8, it's also trying to build the Audi brand too.