2008 Line-Up (Rumour Mill)

If McLaren are to regain my respect I had at the start of 2007, team the Brit Lewis Hamilton with another Brit. What's so hard about that?

The hard thing is Button isn't leaving Honda, Anthony Davidson is not ready yet and Coulthard sucks too much balls + keeps talking shit about Mclaren.

Then there's all the sponsorship stuff. I can really see Mclaren promoting Pedro de la Rosa. He'll be cheap, they wont have to allocate #1 and #2, because Pedro sucks and they might be able to stay in bed with Santandar Bank.

Yeah, but it goes back to the old issue of having two drivers of the same nationality driving for the same team - it is undesirable from a commercial point of view. Its the reason why Button or Paffet will not get the second seat. The obvious choice then is Pedro de la Rosa, as AnGuRuSo said in order to try and retain their new Spanish partners, signed when Alonso arrived. However, McLaren are not yet in a position where they have to bow to sponsor requirements regarding drivers, so I still hope Kovalainen gets the drive.

Yeah, but it goes back to the old issue of having two drivers of the same nationality driving for the same team - it is undesirable from a commercial point of view. Its the reason why Button or Paffet will not get the second seat. The obvious choice then is Pedro de la Rosa, as AnGuRuSo said in order to try and retain their new Spanish partners, signed when Alonso arrived. However, McLaren are not yet in a position where they have to bow to sponsor requirements regarding drivers, so I still hope Kovalainen gets the drive.
Clearly the only choice here is Scott Speed. Amirite?

I thin Heiki would be a great companion to Lewis. Showed some real bright spots in a 2nd tier car, and I'd be eager to see what he'd do in a top car.

Last edited:
I can only assume from that article that Kovalainen is going to McLaren (or somewhere) then. It would be a big pity for him to be left without a drive next year and rather silly of Renault to turf him out. There's no logic in a team signing up a rookie, having him knock a few corners off the car here and there, but continually improving and showing real promise by the end. Its just stupid not to let him see another year at Renault, all things being equal, which we know they're not. I was seriously impressed with the way he conducted himself through-out 2007. He never let his somewhat appalling performance in the early races get to him, and kept his self belief through-out the difficult times. He never whinged to the press (that I could see anyway) or came across as arrogant, but instead just focused his energy on improving his driving and improving the car. Having Fisichella as a teammate probably helped a lot, and I think someone like him could do really well in the McLaren environment.

I'm sorry for Fisichella, for years he was one of my favourite drivers and seemed like the next big thing. Some of his drives in the 1997 Jordan and 1998 Benetton were sheer first class. The 2001 Benetton was a total disaster which finished him I guess because he never really showed the blinding speed ever again. Probably his engagement to Luna and children also no doubt changed his life. I hope he can find a seat next season (if indeed the rumours are true and he is leaving Enstone) but maybe it's best he retired.

Kovalainen needs at least another year at Renault, even though Alonso might be coming back; his development inside the team throughout 2007 has been remarkable, and another year in the team would increase his chances for the following years by miles. How's this for a change: Alonso-to-Renault means that a Renault driver has to go to McLaren, but Briatore sends them a surprise, in the form of Hamilton's old GP2 rival Nelson Angelo Piquet...

As for Fisi, if he leaves the team, I'll be really sorry to see him go. And yes, I agree that driving cars like the 2001 B201 Benetton or the 2003 Jordan EJ13 has dented his confidence irrepairably. Hopefully 2007 for Renault has been a bit like 2004: abandon the old car, start early with the new one and reap the rewards next year.

How's this for a change: Alonso-to-Renault means that a Renault driver has to go to McLaren, but Briatore sends them a surprise, in the form of Hamilton's old GP2 rival Nelson Angelo Piquet...

Interesting, but I think McLaren is smart enough not to make the same mistake two seasons in a row. If Piquet (or whoever) goes to McLaren, it's going to be as a supporting role for Hamilton. No more of this "equality" BS for Ron Dennis.

However, McLaren are not yet in a position where they have to bow to sponsor requirements regarding drivers, so I still hope Kovalainen gets the drive.

Until Now.

I can only assume from that article that Kovalainen is going to McLaren (or somewhere) then. It would be a big pity for him to be left without a drive next year and rather silly of Renault to turf him out. There's no logic in a team signing up a rookie, having him knock a few corners off the car here and there, but continually improving and showing real promise by the end. Its just stupid not to let him see another year at Renault, all things being equal, which we know they're not. I was seriously impressed with the way he conducted himself through-out 2007. He never let his somewhat appalling performance in the early races get to him, and kept his self belief through-out the difficult times. He never whinged to the press (that I could see anyway) or came across as arrogant, but instead just focused his energy on improving his driving and improving the car. Having Fisichella as a teammate probably helped a lot, and I think someone like him could do really well in the McLaren environment.

I agree 100% with that. I think Kovi is a great driver, with huge potential for the future. Renault are silly to let him go, but I would be glad to see him at McLaren if Renault sign Alonso.

It looks like it's down to Renault and Red Bull for Alonso...

Not gonna happen mate :p

AAAAAAAA.......AAA.......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And they say Germans have no sense of humour!!!!!

Ralf wouldn't be that bad of an idea for Mclaren. They need someone who will be consistantly slower than Hamilton and someone they can get for cheap. The guy is desperate. They could probably pay him 100K and he would take the seat.

Also this way, Mclaren can stand by their no #1 and #2 driver allocation.

Ralf wouldn't be that bad of an idea for Mclaren. They need someone who will be consistantly slower than Hamilton and someone they can get for cheap. The guy is desperate. They could probably pay him 100K and he would take the seat.

Only if they pay his private jet expenses...:lol:

Ralf is probably the most overpaid F1 driver in history.

I think that teaming Pedro with Lewis would give McLaren an advantage over Ferrari, becaus then wyou wouldn't have as much rivalry as Ferrari does...I think they might do that...