Crazy eights! MTM builds an 888-hp Audi R8

Where did they put all the carbon fiber? The car still weights a whopping 1.8tons.
For 280k? they could atleast have replaced the bodyshell with carbon fiber, generally more carbon is required all around the car to drop the weight.

I was looking on the audi website and they say that the gross weight of the R8 is 1860 kg so it looks like MTM did not add any extra weight.

Turbocharger
+
frame strengthening for 800+hp
more weight than the stock vehicle
+
carbon fiber
weight taken off and weight lowered down 300kgs above stock weight​

oh and stevanford, the stock weight of the R8 is 1558kg (3434lbs).

Thats incredible, considering the cars only been on the market for *checks watch* 20 minutes or so.

they just made the engine bay fuck ugly now : (

otherwise its a good looking car, love the matt finish. those yellow ceramic brakepads dont match tho.

Turbocharger
+
frame strengthening for 800+hp
more weight than the stock vehicle
+
carbon fiber
weight taken off and weight lowered down 300kgs above stock weight​

oh and stevanford, the stock weight of the R8 is 1558kg (3434lbs).

Yeah the unladen weight is 1558 kg but the gross weight is 1860 kg

http://www.audi.com.au/upload/180424.pdf

It even says 1860 kg gross weight in the brochure above.
And the specifications provided by MTM also say 1860 kg gross weight.
Thats why i said that it looks like MTM didn't add any weight.

Higher and more reliable power can be had here in America for less than 1/10 of that price. I'm so glad I don't live in Germany. But if one can afford to dish out 280,000 Euros...it really doesn't matter.

Like your Honda Accord? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am glad you don't live in Germany as well :)

Show us some examples of that, please.

www.hotrod.com Plenty of examples there. For under $10k you can buy a complete engine from GM that belts out 600hp reliably (comes with a 3 year warranty even) for street use. And GM specifically makes all the chevy small blocks (including the LS7's) interchangeable as far as mounts and bell housing bolt patterns. An LS7 will set you back $15-16k from any Chevy dealer.

Last edited:
Like your Honda Accord? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am glad you don't live in Germany as well :)

Read:

nist7 said:
I must admit that my statement was a bit inflammatory and bold and a bit exaggerated. If you want similar results from a "tuner," then it would cost a bit more....aka from ppl like Heffner, Lingenfelter, etc. etc. However, as bartboy mentioned, many home-mechanics and enthusiasts, with the help of local shops, can relistically achieve incredible amount of power without spending a fortune. Just look at the new guy on here who has a SVT Cobra..he is looking for 700hp after a few relatively simple and cheap mods.

I apologize if I have offended/hurt-feelings. Let's not derail this thread any further and result in another EU vs USA poo-sling fest.

My apologies.

Last edited:
www.hotrod.com Plenty of examples there. For under $10k you can buy a complete engine from GM that belts out 600hp reliably (comes with a 3 year warranty even) for street use. And GM specifically makes all the chevy small blocks (including the LS7's) interchangeable as far as mounts and bell housing bolt patterns. An LS7 will set you back $15-16k from any Chevy dealer.

Those hotrods do 360kph?

Those hotrods do 360kph?

Some in a 1/4mile :p Most cars are only built for drag racing (and therefore are limited by gearing), but many goto Bonneville as well. Obviously I wasn't saying EVERY one of 'em will do it, but there are plenty of examples that can do a bit of everything. Then there are still cars built to take corners (they've been posted before in other threads).

We have several open road race series where they close down sections of small highways and let people go balls to the wall, I think the record AVERAGE speed over a 14 mile course is 207mph.

If you want it, it can be built, and for a decent price.

I don't really think this will be any better than the stock R8, obviously higher top speed, but at the sacrifice of handling and weight. The best thing about the R8 is said to be the balance and handling, and the practicality of it.

On appearance, I think the wheels are tacky and the matte paintwork doesn't fit it, and they ruined the engine bay as well.

Stock R8 is a brilliant car, don't "ruin" it with more power and ugly wheels.

You can't ruin a car with too much power. But I give you the ugly wheels and paintjob. For me the RS4 with the engine from the new RS6 would be the perfect car, wouldn't want anything else if I had that.

Oh gawd! I just looked at the engine bay, they ruined that thing. It's as if they just weren't trying with the engine bay. I've seen far nicer work done by shade tree mechanics.

I don't really think this will be any better than the stock R8, obviously higher top speed, but at the sacrifice of handling and weight. The best thing about the R8 is said to be the balance and handling, and the practicality of it.

On appearance, I think the wheels are tacky and the matte paintwork doesn't fit it, and they ruined the engine bay as well.

It's been established that there is no difference in weight and there is no word on how it handles compared to the stock R8.

The R8 is more or less based on the Gallardo, so the chassis should be up for the task with minimal modifications. I'm not feeling the flat black on such an expensive car, and the wheels are fugly. But other than those two things, this car rocks. It's like a Veyron Jr. If they can make it somewhat reliable, it'll be a great car.

The R8 is more or less based on the Gallardo, so the chassis should be up for the task with minimal modifications. I'm not feeling the flat black on such an expensive car, and the wheels are fugly. But other than those two things, this car rocks. It's like a Veyron Jr. If they can make it somewhat reliable, it'll be a great car.

15% of the R8 is shared with the Gallardo, so no, it's not "more or less a Gallardo".

....but at the sacrifice of handling and weight.

you know, i've been noticing you making these kind of assumptions lately without any real evidence to back up what you said.

this car JUST came out, but yet, you already know how it handles.

and yes, the only thing that is related to the Gallardo on the R8 is the platform and AWD system.

id rather have this one with 888 hp

it doesnt weigh more than a stock R8

im willing to bet it still has suspension

the only problem is that you cant use pump gas, which sucks a lot