Information about pick-up trucks

Need to get a boat in/out of the water? Hire a nice man with a proper truck* two days a year and you wont have to commute in an oversized pickup the other 363 days. It'll save you (money) and maybe all of us in the end.

baattrans2.jpg

Many people do not rent dock space or live on the water, so they need to tow their boat to the lake/river every time they take it out.

Many people do not rent dock space or live on the water, so they need to tow their boat to the lake/river every time they take it out.

Or they live in an area where the lake/river freezes each winter, such as my dad. The price of drydocking his boat is so high, he could buy a used pickup truck each year for the cost of having it stored.

Having a 3500 series GMC Sierra might seem like overkill for your average boat, but his Hunter 27 weighs 7,663lbs DRY.

He won't let me borrow it when i'm home, ever. Because he knows i'll go and pull parking meters out of the ground or something.

Actually, there is a Class IV hitch available for it. It's called the Tow Box option; nobody buys it because it looks stupid:

61uh182.jpg

68arfbn.jpg

For comparison, this is what it looks like without the Tow Box.

Jeep-Grand_Cherokee_SRT8_2006_photo_09.jpg

Its got a 6.1 liter V8, but it can only tow 3000lbs.

IMO thats pathetic.

Need to get a boat in/out of the water? Hire a nice man with a proper truck* two days a year and you wont have to commute in an oversized pickup the other 363 days. It'll save you (money) and maybe all of us in the end.

baattrans2.jpg

Are you smoking crack or somthing?

Yea, lets go spend a grand to have our boat lifted into the water everytime we want to use it.

About as much as a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8... the most useless 4X4 on this side of the pond.

Its got a 6.1 liter V8, but it can only tow 3000lbs.

IMO thats pathetic.

you keep bringing up these points like they matter. first of all, its not an offroader (read: trail rated Jeep). lastly, its not a tow vehicle. its a performance SUV. EXACTLY like the TB/SS (which does come in both AWD and RWD by the way).

you keep bringing up these points like they matter. first of all, its not an offroader (read: trail rated Jeep). lastly, its not a tow vehicle. its a performance SUV. EXACTLY like the TB/SS (which does come in both AWD and RWD by the way).
Ah, but the Trailblazer SS can tow 6,700lbs ;). Anywho, the term "performance SUV" ought to be under "oxymoron" in the dictionary.

who's Spyper?

just kidding, i know what you meant.

but yes it will. Spyker's SUV concept was absolutely horrid.

That shows how good the SRT-8 was, I mean people can bash it, but its an increadable car.

And around these parts people go often enough that doing it any other way isn't particularly viable.

Are you smoking crack or somthing?

Yea, lets go spend a grand to have our boat lifted into the water everytime we want to use it.

Using HIS example of only using the boat a couple of times a year, it's probably significantly cheaper to do it that way. And you can get a nicer vehicle as well.

Vette Boss and ahpadt got my point exactly. The rest of you started judging me right from the sentence "ban pick-up trucks".
Pick-up trucks are meant to be commercial vehicles - used for businesses who really need them. My problem is with people who only drive a pick-up truck "because it is big and I know I am safe on the road". Others, mainly 16 year old football players, drive them jusut to show off. I hate seeing empty pick-up trucks. They say, they buy them to move stuff. Any regular car is perfectly capable of doing this, especially a station wagon. I've carried a big fridge in a station wagon. The times you need to carry really big stuff (1-2 times a year) you can go to U-Haul.
I'm doing this topic because literally every family in West Virginia (where I study) owns a pick-up truck. How come we don't use them in Europe, how do we manage without them? And will people continue to drive empty big pick-up trucks when gas gets to European levels of 8$/gallon?

Thanks to Ottobon! Some of those links helped a lot. In the end if I don't find enough information about trucks I will have to switch to SUV's.

I am/was a 16 year old football player, and I take offense to that statement.
;)

As far as arguements go, you're either going to have to adapt SUV rants, think of some crazy logic chain, or change the topic.

One last thing: one reason European gas is so damn expensive is because you're taxed to death on it. This is done hypothetically to get people off the roads, but really only to increase revenue.

That shows how good the SRT-8 was, I mean people can bash it, but its an increadable car.

Spyker's aren't that great of cars. Spyker's are only made for people who wanna look extremely flashy in a supercar. even Jezza (was it Jezza?) didn't like the car. i remember it handling like crap and being a total let down for me because i really liked the C8/12 for it's looks and extreme, unique design.

What i want to know isw hy would you buy it? its 45-50k. It cant tow, the itnerior is small, it cant offroad and it sucks TONS of gas.

Sure tis fast. Its fast as i'll get out.

But for that kinda money, why? There are SO many more alternatives that are cheaper, just as fast, consume less gas, look better, and the list goes on! Plus there arent even that many mods for it yet.

The TBSS is actually USEFUL. It can tow, it can tow quite a lot actually. Its got more room in it than the jeep, AND its under 40k.

It actually has a purpose. Its the family mans race car all wrapped into one. pulls the boat, hauls the family and is cheap to mod. Thats a good list of things.

IMO if sombody wants a pickup, let them buy a pickup. Its not your decision to tell people what to buy.

If by "offroad" you mean "fire roads" and dry dirt roads.

Real offroading? Not so much.

[youtube]WB5JmwYkz4k[/youtube]

[youtube]G51X9HaJeEI[/youtube]

What i want to know isw hy would you buy it? its 45-50k. It cant tow, the itnerior is small, it cant offroad and it sucks TONS of gas.

what the fuck did i just say? do i REALLY have to quote it?

ok, i will......

oh and your comment about it not having many mods for it.....

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/ListItems.php?cart=vPPdGofO&DoThis=Jeep+SRT8+HEMI&ActionReq=Where

that seems like alot of mods to me.

oh and btw....

JGC SRT/8 0-60 time: 4.8
TB/SS 0-60 time: around 5 seconds. in every magazine test it was in, it never ever touched the 4 second mark. especially with the AWD version. the fastest was 5.3 and that was with AutoBlog.

Yes, but can any of these suburban mommy wagons with added HP turn a corner without flipping, catching fire, and killing anyone inside?

Why not argue that people should be allowed to spend their moeny on whatever they wish?

It's amazing to me how much some Europeans love fascism wrapped up in sheep's clothing...

As an American with a truck (And I'd rather have a car to be honest. I'm getting rid of it soon.) I know how convenient it can be to throw things in the back. I can haul around my own furniture during moves, throw christmas trees in the back, haul engine blocks around, tires, dirty things you dont want inside your car can be hauled there, Tools, ATV's, equipment of various sorts, tents, you name it.

You can try to shoehorn a christmas tree into a Volkswagen if you want, but I'd rather use a truck, and there's a lot of things you don want inside the back of your SUV. Not to mention I dont trust the strength of the floor in an SUV to carry the same kind of weight as the bed of a truck. I've got an assembled smallblock V8 I was ferrying around a while back, and I wouldn't trust that thing's 500 lbs of heft to the floor in an SUV or sedan.

That said, I usually agree with people that they're mostly unnecessary. But when they are necessary they're nice to have. However, most people dont need them, and SUV's are guilty of all the same things trucks are, only they're not as useful. However, I think it's stupid to declare that people should be banned from buying one unless they have a good reason. How would you like it if someone banned you from buying a nice stereo because you didnt need it, or a big tv because you didnt need it? DO you want the government dictating what you can or can't buy?

Last edited: