Your five favourite motors of all time

Car(s)
Subaru Impreza Outback, Triumph Daytona 675
Well. What are they, and why?

1) Mazda "KL" 2.5L DOHC V6

Not the most powerful V6 by far, and certainly not the most high tech. But it makes such a great noise, and is so buttery smooth.

2) Chrysler "Slant Six" 3.7L Pushrod I6

Undoubtedly the most durable engine ever produced. Cast block, solid lifters and forged steel crankshaft means even when nuclear war wipes us out, roaches and slant sixes will continue to roam free.

3) Mazda "Renesis" 1.3L rotary engine

Until the 15X debuts, this is the best piston-free engine found in a production car. As smooth as grease on glass, if you dont mind a little oil consumption.

4) Ford "Cammer" 7.0L SOHC V8

Years ahead of its time, in 1964 Ford fitted overhead camshafts to its 427 V8, and made a 658hp V8 that revs to 7,500rpm.

5) General Motors "LS7" 7.0L pushrod V8

GM's small block lives on, albeit with titanium pushrods and hypereutectic pistons. While some people like to harp about horsepower per liter, this beast weighs less than 500lbs fully dressed and is small enough to fit in a Miata.

This is mostly just from what i have read.

1) Jeep 4.0
You can't kill this engine, it has been known to run without cooling with no problems.

2) Audi RS4 V8
Clarkson made it sound awesome and a lot of reviewer agree.

3) Veyron W16
It's kinda fast

4) The newer 2.0 VW TDI's
If you don't look at the rev meter you will never know it's a diesel

5) Focus ST 2.5 V5
I like it :)

1)Toyota R series of 4 cylinders.
I think if the Chrysler Slant Six and these engines went to battle of longevity and survival of punishment, the world would just laugh at humanity, then implode on itself.

2) The Small Block Chevy (from 1955 till current)
Does this really need an explanation?

3) Buick Nailhead v8.
Fantastic looking engine, and it powered a hot rod that pissed off a lot of European factory teams in the 50's around American circuits.

4) Offenhauser.
One of the greatest American Racing engines ever. And it's beautiful as well.

5) Mazda Rotaries
I got a small place in my heart just for them.

edit: bumped up the Chevy to #2, and droped the Audi I5.

Last edited:
1.) Porsche's flat sixes
For 40 years, from 130 hp to 500 hp. Especially love the air-cooled ones.

2.) Mazda's Rotaries

3.) Subaru's flat fours

4.) BMW straight six

5.) VAG's TDis

1. Small Block Chevy, including LSx engines - Duh.
2. Buick Big Block - Incredible heads, only weighs a little more than a SBC, and I have one.
3. Ford Flathead V8 - Where hot rodding really started, if you ask me.
4. Aston V12 - Just listen to it.
5. Duramax V8 Turbodiesel - Smooth, huge power. Need to tow anything?

This is mostly just from what i have read.

1) Jeep 4.0
You can't kill this engine, it has been known to run without cooling with no problems.

2) Audi RS4 V8
Clarkson made it sound awesome and a lot of reviewer agree.

3) Veyron W16
It's kinda fast

4) The newer 2.0 VW TDI's
If you don't look at the rev meter you will never know it's a diesel

5) Focus ST 2.5 V5
I like it :)

It's a turbocharged Volvo inline 5, not a V5. I'm not sure what the differences are between that engine and the one in our S60. But put into a smaller lighter hatch would probably make it a fun car to drive. It's smooth as hell and torque delivery is pretty much instant, though it does sound a bit wheezy past 5000rpm.

1. Porsche 5.7 liter V-10
2. Mercedes 7.3 Liter V-12
3. BMW 5.0 liter V-10
4. Mercedes 5.4 liter V-8 (supercharged)
5. Koenigsegg 4.8 liter V-8
6. Mercedes 6.0 Liter V-12 (Bi-turbo)
7. Chevrolet 7.0 Liter V-8

All seven are too good to narrow one out.

Last edited:
Well I am a mechanic, so my view is a little diffrent. I spend my life working on Italian cars or low volume kit cars/ICV's

1) Alfa Romeo's (old) V6, from 2 Litres to 3.2, sounds like God yawning. Possibly the best 6 Cylinder motor on the face of the earth.

A magnificent history in motor sport, with 2.5 litre DTM versions spinning over 12,500rpm. Lightweight, compact, soulful....I just cannot get rave on enough about this engine.

If by looking at the specs you can't see what I'm on about, listen to the noise they make, look at the chromed inlet runners and drive a car with one in.....and you will be converted. For best effect, either 6x Single carbs (SA export/Homologation) or 3 twinchoke downdrafts......oh!

2) Alfa Romeo Boxer...... Oh Carlo Bossaglia how you do spoil us! A very compact flat four that sounds wonderful (unlike Subaru they got the firing order correct) and, is very light and in true Alfa Romeo tradition, built like a brick s**thouse (very strong). Cross drilled crank, cross bolted block......you get the idea. While the 16v motors are really the most powerful, for the best to drive (and the most fun!) get a 1.7L twincarb (twin IDA40 webers)....lots of torque!

I've grafted a rather large blower onto one, on a decompressed engine it is living (just) @ 22psi of boost.

Start1.JPG

(yes it is run by a GM EFI computer, you may knock GM about most things, but their computer systems are second to none....really)

3).....nothing worth mentioning

4).....nothing worth mentioning

5) Nissan's RB Engines. No I'm not a RB26DETT fanboy, my experience comes from the big brother, the RB30, and definatly not in some trumped up Datsun 240K. GM's Holden VL Commodore.

My RB30 Cherry was a RB30ET in a VL turbo, and it went from there. In my poor 'ol calais I've had virtually every major RB type in there at some stage.....very adaptable motor.

It really is a love/hate relationship with these things. O.K you can get heaps of hot bits, both locally and from Japan. But the fact remains, they are too heavy, sound like crap and are not quite as robust as people say. The computer systems suck, hell most mid to late 80's GM systems are much much much better. And the ignition systems....oh gawd. A better idea is a after market computer, or if you are really tight, a computer system of a GM 3800 V6 engine.

On the flip side down below they are very strong, however this is let down by a extreamly bad oil pump design.....well they fixed this on engines from 1995 onwards...but sheesh.

I could go on for ages.....I'll shut up now.....<_<

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There are quite a few other motors I have regular contact with, but alot of them would struggle to make my top 20, let alone the top 5......grumpy mechanic indeed! :lol:

1. The "classic" small block Chevrolet V8. Parts grow on trees and you can throw a rock at it and get more power.

2. GM LSx engines. Just a great evolution of the small block, like Intravenous said, amazing power in a tiny package.

3. Toyota 3SGE. Ah, if only the rings on mine weren't shot. Peppy little engine thats only happy above 4k rpm. And that's alright with me :D.

4. GM Quad 4. (2.3L inline 4) Yeah, they're not the most reliable engines. But the W41 Olds version was good for 190hp in the early '90s. I briefly owned a beater Grand Am with the 180hp LGO version and a 5 speed. It was a blast, then I got a lesson about their infamous reliability.

5. Mazda's KL 2.5L V6s. Like Intravenous noted, these things are amazingly smooth and make some great noise. I've got a friend working on a chambered side-exit exhaust for his '96 MX6, I can't wait to hear it.

It's a turbocharged Volvo inline 5, not a V5. I'm not sure what the differences are between that engine and the one in our S60. But put into a smaller lighter hatch would probably make it a fun car to drive. It's smooth as hell and torque delivery is pretty much instant, though it does sound a bit wheezy past 5000rpm.

Your right and i should take more time to proof read what i type :)

1. Any Cosworth engine - I am biased.

2. Rover 3.5 version of the Buick

3. Ford 3.0 from the 80s powered the Ford Capri

4. Jag 4.2

5. Honda 1602 cc from the 70s great engine.

1. Mclaren F1 LM V12
2. Aston Martin Vanquish S V12
3. Ferrari F430 V8
4. BMW M3 Straight 6 and
5. Pagani Zonda AMG V12

Enough of these posts already, but what the hell

Enough of these posts already, but what the hell

1. Old Alfa Romeo V6 (2.5 in particular)

2. Offenhauser: Best i4 of any description i can think of, thank Dguy for introducing it to me :p

3. Jaguar XK engine series (inline 6 racing engine from yesteryear) Especially in a C or D type LeMans car.

4. American Pushrod V8, really not particular, most all of them are easy to work on, cheap to modify, and sound amazing.

5. I got really indecisive, so fuck it

My favorite engine of all time trumps you all:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/11/30/veyronengine.jpg

Its just such a good example of beautiful over engineering, and its road legal.

My favorite engine of all time trumps you all:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/11/30/veyronengine.jpg

Its just such a good example of beautiful over engineering, and its road legal.

Check the second post in this thread.

Is this about which engine we like the best based on personal experience?

Well I am a mechanic, so my view is a little diffrent. I spend my life working on Italian cars or low volume kit cars/ICV's

1) Alfa Romeo's (old) V6, from 2 Litres to 3.2, sounds like God yawning. Possibly the best 6 Cylinder motor on the face of the earth.

A magnificent history in motor sport, with 2.5 litre DTM versions spinning over 12,500rpm. Lightweight, compact, soulful....I just cannot get rave on enough about this engine.

If by looking at the specs you can't see what I'm on about, listen to the noise they make, look at the chromed inlet runners and drive a car with one in.....and you will be converted. For best effect, either 6x Single carbs (SA export/Homologation) or 3 twinchoke downdrafts......oh!

2) Alfa Romeo Boxer...... Oh Carlo Bossaglia how you do spoil us! A very compact flat four that sounds wonderful (unlike Subaru they got the firing order correct) and, is very light and in true Alfa Romeo tradition, built like a brick s**thouse (very strong). Cross drilled crank, cross bolted block......you get the idea. While the 16v motors are really the most powerful, for the best to drive (and the most fun!) get a 1.7L twincarb (twin IDA40 webers)....lots of torque!

I've grafted a rather large blower onto one, on a decompressed engine it is living (just) @ 22psi of boost.

Start1.JPG

(yes it is run by a GM EFI computer, you may knock GM about most things, but their computer systems are second to none....really)

3).....nothing worth mentioning

4).....nothing worth mentioning

5) Nissan's RB Engines. No I'm not a RB26DETT fanboy, my experience comes from the big brother, the RB30, and definatly not in some trumped up Datsun 240K. GM's Holden VL Commodore.

My RB30 Cherry was a RB30ET in a VL turbo, and it went from there. In my poor 'ol calais I've had virtually every major RB type in there at some stage.....very adaptable motor.

It really is a love/hate relationship with these things. O.K you can get heaps of hot bits, both locally and from Japan. But the fact remains, they are too heavy, sound like crap and are not quite as robust as people say. The computer systems suck, hell most mid to late 80's GM systems are much much much better. And the ignition systems....oh gawd. A better idea is a after market computer, or if you are really tight, a computer system of a GM 3800 V6 engine.

On the flip side down below they are very strong, however this is let down by a extreamly bad oil pump design.....well they fixed this on engines from 1995 onwards...but sheesh.

I could go on for ages.....I'll shut up now.....<_<

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There are quite a few other motors I have regular contact with, but alot of them would struggle to make my top 20, let alone the top 5......grumpy mechanic indeed! :lol:

Im also a mechanic so its a bit different once you get into the nitty gritty bits of engines. But any way my faves are:

1. Toyota 1HD and 1HZ straight 6 diesels. Practicly unkillable, smooth and supprisingly refined for such an old motor. Will be sorely missed (damn euro 4)

2. Toyota "L" Diesel engines (2L, 2L-T, 3L, 5L, 5L-E). Simple, basic and practicly unstoppable.

3. S56 Straight 6. Gives the M3 its howl. Ill miss that one too. The M3 was betteras a 6 imo

4. Any AMG V8. Sounds like Thor garggling a box of hammers

5. The Chev Small Block. Im gonna have to go with the crowd with this one. Is there nothing you can't put a small block in?