New Vector...

F16s dont take off at 300mph. or do they?

180-200mph. The wheel bearings will explode if they spend to long at 250.

I just pulled a jet name out of my ass. I know that some record holders have used aircraft tires before. Obviously they are only good for one thing... not exploding at extremely high speeds.

edit: now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there is at least 1 current record holder that uses tires from F-16's for 400mph + runs.

Last edited:
F16s dont take off at 300mph. or do they?

What do Bonneville cars run on? The technology is out there, just not sure if it can be used on the street.

But this is intended to be a production car which should be able to be driven normally on the streets. I'm sure that there are plenty of dragsters that can do 270mph with proper gearing. That's not the purpose of this car though, or is it?

I don't think that counts really. The W-2 was the prototype - only 1 or maybe 2 produced. Like you quoted - the actual production Vector had a claimed top speed of just 200mph. Nowhere near the XJ220 even the Diablo has a higher top speed. Speaking if which, there is a video on youtube of an early 2wd Diablo without a wing driven at the Nardo Ring and the speedo shows 340kph on an oval!
Vector has always been a company like Top Gear - ambitious but rubbish:)

yes, they were prototypes. BUT THEY WERE STILL W8'S! it was practically the same car. before that salt flat run happened, that was the claimed top speed. and it was 200+mph. meaning anywhere from 200-210 or maybe even more. when the XJ220 got the record, it only hit 217mph. it being a claimed top speed means nothing. claims don't show the real top speed of a car. Hennessey and Saleen still claim 250+mph speeds. but have yet to do a run with either of their cars to test that. Hennessey's only said that there was alot of gear left in the Viper after those standing mile competitions.

so when Vector did that salt flat run, that was the true speed of the car. you REALLY need to know the difference between claims and facts.

And it seems you need to learn the difference between prototype and production. So what if the prototype cars went 220mph. The production cars didn't. The prototype Jag XJ220 had 4wd and a V12, prototypes don't mean anything.

This whole thing is stupid anyway. Who cares how fast they go??

In the words of Walter Rohrl "330kph is enough.....no?"

180-200mph. The wheel bearings will explode if they spend to long at 250.

I just pulled a jet name out of my ass. I know that some record holders have used aircraft tires before. Obviously they are only good for one thing... not exploding at extremely high speeds.

edit: now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there is at least 1 current record holder that uses tires from F-16's for 400mph + runs.

Do any of those 400+ mph cars send power through the wheels, though, or do they all use jet engines or turbofans? :think:

It certainly isn't impossible for a production car to break 300 mph, I'm just saying it's not "OK, the car makes 1800 hp now, job done!"

Do any of those 400+ mph cars send power through the wheels, though, or do they all use jet engines or turbofans? :think:

the 400mph ones use jet engines. the land speed record cars have turbofans. they're using engines you would only find on airliners.

although, the JCB Dieselmax (sends power to the rear wheels) is extremely capable of hitting the 400mph mark. it hit 350mph at the salt flats in August of 2006 becoming the fastest diesel powered vehicle.
dieselmax-car2_lg.jpg

And it seems you need to learn the difference between prototype and production. So what if the prototype cars went 220mph. The production cars didn't. The prototype Jag XJ220 had 4wd and a V12, prototypes don't mean anything.

what you need to learn is the difference between a prototype and a concept. the V12, AWD XJ220 was a concept.

a concept is something that is built to gain interest while a prototype is built to test and gain knowledge of what a car can do before they let it out to the public.

Last edited:

It certainly isn't impossible for a production car to break 300 mph, I'm just saying it's not "OK, the car makes 1800 hp now, job done!"

Fastest wheel driven vehicle I think currently has a record of either 436 or 456mph... It's been a while since I've looked at the record. I only recall it used 2 supercharged 426 Hemi's.

Did the thing say "in salt flat configuration" it could hit 300mph? Or something like that? That could mean swapping out the tires for ones specifically designed for a high speed run. Possibly supplied by Vector. Maybe I didn't read that and I'm actually making it up.

All speculation aside, I'm very glad to see Vector back in the game, and I really hope this car gets built because, even if it doesn't do 300mph or even 270mph, it is one of the coolest cars in the world. I would buy one.

I'm sure that there are plenty of dragsters that can do 270mph with proper gearing. That's not the purpose of this car though, or is it?
There are plenty of dragsters that go in excess of 270mph in the quarter mile. But it sounds like Vector is talking about a specially prepared car here.

Vectors of old were so ugly that they became a joke, even before you got to the 3-speed automatic transmissions. Nice to see they're continuing with the tradition. This is probably the cheesiest car in existence right now.